6Th Gen New Way To Modify The Exhaust - 3 Baffle To 1!

tucsondog

• Member Contributer

I've posted about this in the past, but I finally sourced the parts I needed and had some time off school and work to go tinker in the garage.
I did some research into the stock system vs an aftermarket system and they all said the same thing. The stock exhaust is heavy, restrictive, and muffles the sound off the V4 engine a little too much using a 3 baffle system. Aftermarket exhausts were lighter, way louder because of a straight through design, but didn't look right compared to the stock cans. Many people also run into bag fitment issues when using aftermarket cans. So my problem was how to take the best of both worlds, looks and proper fitment of the stock can, and mesh it with the performance and sound of an aftermarket can?
What I came up with was a design to remove the stock baffles and replace it with a single baffle that would flow better, sound better, lose a bit of weight, and last a long time. The final design changed from my poorly done sketch, but I think it'll work better :happy:
IMG_1609.jpg
This will be a photo heavy post, sorry to those with slower connections, but my hope is that others will be able to do the same if they choose to.
So here's what I did:
I ordered up a used gen 6 exhaust system off ebay to hack apart so I could keep the stock one if I ever wanted to go back.

Removed the heat shields and other bits and bobs.

I cut off the tips of each can right beside the weld using a dremel. It took 12 cutting wheels and a dull hacksaw blade (ran out of cutting wheels) to remove both sides. That metal is tough!
I used vice grips to pull out the stock baffles, it took a fair bit of wiggling and pulling but they eventually slipped out. Wear gloves when you do this, as the cut metal is quite sharp and the fibreglass packing around the baffles is super itchy.

I then removed the fibreglass sheet from the baffles and broke out the cutting wheels again.
After cutting off both ends of the baffle, cutting through the inlet and outlet pipes as well, I discarded the center section as it would be unneeded in the final design.
At this point I picked up a 48" length of 1.25" perforated stainless steel pipe to be cut into 4 smaller sections (12" each).
I used a 1.25" bi-metal hole saw to cut two holes on the inlet side of the stock baffle to fit the perforated pipe through. I laid everything out and riveted the stainless pipes to the outlet pipes to keep them in place. I'll take everything to be welded at a later date. I then slipped the inlet pipe of the stock baffle over the two new pipes and placed rivets on each side to hold it in place. After some pushing and a few cuts later, I was able to slip the new set up into the stock can no problem.

I still have to finish the other can before re-installing everything on the bike and firing it up. Hopefully I'll have that done later this week. Exams and work keep interfering with play time :mad:
Total costs:
Muffler: 250$
Pipe: 40$
Rivets: 7$
total: ~250$ for a perfectly fitting gen 6 slip on!

• Member Contributer

Quick mock up for sound testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuE_yQTnFc

A walk around after doing a lap of my block.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKK2yJwNnc

Finally, the best for last. Pulling away, around the block, and home again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Yw8E7OdP8

• Member Contributer

Did you put any packing in there before reassembly, or just leave it hollow?

Looks like it's almost riding season in Calgary. Far too much ice and snow on the roads here yet.

I Just left it hollow to see what it sounded like. When you ride, it sounds similar to running open headers but the DB level is way lower, which is what I was going for.

• Member Contributer

Nice sounds great, just a little too loud for this old man. Just can't beat the V4 growl!

Thank you very much!

I had my girlfriend stand on the street and for somebody who hates loud vehicles, she said she was surprised at how quiet it was. GF approval is golden ;)

I plan on painting the heat shields a matte black and may end up packing the cans with stainless steel wool.

One day I'll finish with modifications and tinkering :pinocchio:

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I wanted to post an update on this modification.
So far there have been no issues with police pulling me over, and even my mother approved of the volume level and she hates noisy vehicles.

I have had several people approach me asking what exhaust system I had installed as they'd never heard anything like it.

My mileage has been either the same or slightly higher, around 40-50kph between fill ups. This is a combination of city and highway. The largest mileage gains have been in stop and go traffic.

When at speed, if I close the throttle there is a popopopopopopop sound, but from what I understand this is unburned fuel igniting against the hot exhaust. I have also disabled my pair valve to aid in low speed handling.
The only drawback I have found thus far is blackening of my license place as I opted to not have the end caps welded back on to the cans so I could periodically remove the baffles to inspect them for wear as this type of modification hasnot been done before (as far as i know).

I still have my stock exhaust if I ever decide to resell, but I think I'l stick with this set up and keep the bike :)

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Greeting everyone!
I have sent several people the link to this page, and if they should have any questions about this modification, please feel free to message me.

UPDATE:
So far so good, still nothing but compliments even from several of our local LEOs.
I've had no issues stemming from this save for soot build up on my license plate coming from the non-sealed end cap. I chose not to seal it, however if you did it would eliminate the soot issue.

Archived