Has Anyone Fitted Led Turn-Signal Bulbs?

NZCam

Has anyone replaced, or looked at replacing their stock indicator (turn-signal) bulbs with LED equiivalents? It bewilders me that Honda designed the 2014 model with LEDs for the head-lights, brake-lights, and tail-lights, but settled for conventional filament bulbs for the turn signals.

Keen to hear from the assembled sagely wisdoms... ;-)

On my 5th Gen, yes. Also replaced the taillight (main reason for doing the indicators as well). There's no significant advantage (maybe bulb lifetime), but I broke my taillight and it was an opportunity to bling the bike a little.

I remember busting my ducktail on my 5th gen, and fitting SilverStar globes as part of the replace/repair, but those are still filament bulbs. I was wondering if someone had happened across plug-n-play LED replacements, rather than needing to fit some 6-ohm load resistors as well.

Has anyone opened up their 8th-Gen mirrors (where the indicator bulbs live)?

I remember busting my ducktail on my 5th gen, and fitting SilverStar globes as part of the replace/repair, but those are still filament bulbs. I was wondering if someone had happened across plug-n-play LED replacements, rather than needing to fit some 6-ohm load resistors as well.

Has anyone opened up their 8th-Gen mirrors (where the indicator bulbs live)?

Ok, just did that - not terribly difficult actually, just one screw and some tabs (consult your owners manual for the correct order).

Although soldering doesn't bother me, if I can find a plug'n'play option, then so much the better. Having determined the fitted filament globes are BAU15S-type, I'm looking at something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1156-BAU15S-21-SMD-Amber-Yellow-CANBUS-OBC-No-Error-Signal-Car-LED-Light-Bulb-/221683611919

Does anyone know if the RC79 (8th Gen) has a CANBUS wiring loom?

Don't bother with resistors; just go on ebay or whatever; the indicator unit that works for LED bulbs (and also filament bulbs) is very cheap, and just plugs in, in place of the other one.

The double rear incandescent bulbs for my 95 VFR tail/brakelights were big power eaters, judging to how really hot they get. I manage to burn my fingers bad removing them from the bike after having them on for only a very short time. I actually saw a nice voltage jump on my voltmeter after I replaced them with LEDs the slight reduction in voltage when braking also disappeared with the LEDs. So pretty much, my LED bulbs are close to transparent to the electrical system. I'd like to change over to LED bulbs for the signals and front running lights too, but I think I will need some sort of resistor in the system to make them blink for the signals?? I'm just too lazy these days to deal with it, so the front and rear signals and front running lights still have incandescent bulbs, but definitely in my long range to-do list with the bike.

Don't bother with resistors; just go on ebay or whatever; the indicator unit that works for LED bulbs (and also filament bulbs) is very cheap, and just plugs in, in place of the other one.

I've been advised that the Gen-8 has a standard rather than CANBUS wiring loom, which means the flash relay will be expecting to see ~21W (x2, front and rear) worth of current drop during operation. The less current seen, the faster it will flash, and since LEDs are low current devices, without adding a resistor, straight LEDs will blink really fast - worth a defect notice in most places. You could swap the flash relay too I guess, but I'm looking for the simplest option, perhaps an LED festoon that already has the restistor built in.

Worst case scenario, I'll fit another round of Philips Silvervision PY21W's like I did with my Mazda;- whilst still filament globes, they have a nice silver finish when not illuminated, which means your light housings stay clear/white, rather than reflecting the unliminted amber bulb.

• Member Contributer

I like the fact that the "normal" bulbs are big power eaters; it means the RR doesnot need to convert it in heat...

As for light output, I hope that the latest LED light output has improved over 1st model LEDs

A neighbor gave me 2 of these:

post-8974-0-45186500-1423558418.jpg

So I fitted one to see the difference...

NO prizes for guessing which is which..

Taillight only

post-8974-0-32312800-1423558420.jpg

Taillight+brakelight

post-8974-0-43673200-1423558419.jpg

I gave the bulbs back....

Thanks Dutchy & M14dgt for the comments. I've seen some crappy LEDs too, but they tend to be first-generation diodes. Most of what's around these days uses improved Surface-Mount Diode (SMD - the little white square-looking ones) or Cree diodes. I tend to stay away from the dome-style old-school LEDs - they've had their day and been superseded by better things. The modern ones I have installed on my Mazda look every bit the business.

• 2 years later...

Ok, seeing as it's Easter, I hope nobody minds me resurrecting an old thread?  :wink:

Just looking at spare bulb kits and wondered if it was worth swapping my indicator bulbs over for LED versions? Seeing the chat above, I wondered if anyone ever tried it and if extra resistors are needed to set the flash rate?

37 minutes ago, Katie said:

Ok, seeing as it's Easter, I hope nobody minds me resurrecting an old thread?  :wink:

Just looking at spare bulb kits and wondered if it was worth swapping my indicator bulbs over for LED versions? Seeing the chat above, I wondered if anyone ever tried it and if extra resistors are needed to set the flash rate?

I made the swap 2 years ago. Unless an all-in-one aftermarket kit has been produced since, you will need the load resistors, but it's not a complicated task. The write-up of what I did with photo links is here:

• Member Contributer

I have LED front indicators on my 6th Gen. I bought some cheap resistor packs that sit in line. They have bullet connectors on so no soldering, rewiring or crimping need.

Also if the fronts fail the rears continue to flash normally as the resistance is there so you have to keep an eye on them. Being LED's they shouldn't fail But I knocked one of the terminals loose when I was working on something else.

• Member Contributer

I went all LED on my 5th gen, and purchased an LED-specific flasher unit, and swapped that for the OEM unit. That sorts the flash rate and eliminates the need for individual resistors.

Archived