Shock Refill Required?

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

Quick question -

I have an '02 Non-ABS... looking to buy a used OEM ABS rear shock with remote preload adjust.

I have found a fellow who will sell me one for a reasonable price - it has only been ridden for 10,000km (~6k miles), but has been off the bike for just over a year (he upgraded to a Penske).

He has advised that I should have the shock refilled since it has not been under pressure/load for a year. Is this necessary? I wouldn't think so, as I'm imagining buying an OEM unit from Honda that may have sat on a shelf for 5 years... but maybe its different if it has been ridden on versus not?

Feedback appreciated!!

Thanks
Mike

• Member Contributer

Quick question -

I have an '02 Non-ABS... looking to buy a used OEM ABS rear shock with remote preload adjust.

I have found a fellow who will sell me one for a reasonable price - it has only been ridden for 10,000km (~6k miles), but has been off the bike for just over a year (he upgraded to a Penske).

He has advised that I should have the shock refilled since it has not been under pressure/load for a year. Is this necessary? I wouldn't think so, as I'm imagining buying an OEM unit from Honda that may have sat on a shelf for 5 years... but maybe its different if it has been ridden on versus not?

Feedback appreciated!!

Thanks

Mike

Be sure to get the remote preload unit mounting hardware from him, you'll need to buy it OEM or otherwise come up with your own mounting system. I have a post showing how to remove the shock from an ABS model with pics.

The shock unit not being used for over a year does not have anything to do with it possibly needing a nitrogen gas re- charge. If that is true, then every nitrogen gas charged shock out on motorcycle parts dealer's shelves over 12 months would also need a recharge. It could be that the shock might have developed a leak..... and it's the sellers's way of you possibly buying it "in as-is condition".....

• Member Contributer

As long as you're replacing the shock, it would be the perfect time prior to installing it to send it to Jamie D. for a re-work - new spring and valving. Send the forks while you're at it and you'd have the suspension completely sorted for your weight and riding style.

Archived