Nervous About Taking A Long Trip

EMTintruder

I hope I posted this at the right spot, I'm wanting to plan a trip from ashland ky to the tail of the Dragon this spring, this would be my first long ride, been riding for years but just commuting, how do you get over the fear of the unknown such as breaking down on the road, that's the main thing that keeps holding me back, any other touring trips would be greatly appreciated as well, I have a 2008 vfr with a touring screen, Corbin saddle, and saddle bags and givi top box,

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only way to get over the fear is to do it. Bring a cell phone, credit card, and have towing (AAA or the like). Also if you have a smart phone with access to VFRD, there are plenty of friendly people on this board that have helped out other members in the past.

• Member Contributer

Google tells me it is some 545 miles but I reckon that is interstate.

What I can suggest is you do a weekend trip or two. find friend or family some 200 miles away and just go!

this will let you experience the buzz.

Plan backroads cos the Dragon ain't no interstate either.

stops often, drink plenty water, talk to people along the way.

You are in the US, so help is only a phone call away.

While riding through Nepal I met a local with a flat tire on his MC. He had been by the side of the road for at least an hour till I came past.

I had a watch, he had all the time in the world..... give time all problems are solved....

• Member Contributer

If you take enough trips, then breakdowns, wrecks or other issues will happen. I've never had a breakdown, but I've sat comfortably for hours in a parking lot when others in my group have had issues. Same for wrecks. It's all in your mindset and is (occasionally) part of riding.

By doing it you will overcome the psychological barriers.

Be prepared as best you can. Take extra tolos with you if you do you own work on the bike. Even if you do, insurance including Roadside Assistance is a must.

Torch, weatherproof matches, Dunny paper, Multi-tool / Swiss army knife, spare key... useful stuff!!! Wet weather gear. Spare gloves. Baby wipes (great for wiping down the helmet visor and getting bugs off the bike, there are all sorts, try for ones that don't leave residue on the visor. Energy bars. Bottle of your favourite liqour... Whatever!!!

Tyres? Maintenance: fresh oil, brake pads, spark plugs etc checked out and/or replaced.

The 6th gen tends to fry stators so do some of the Beefing up the wires tutorials in the How.to section... take a multimeter with you if you know how to use one.

It's just common sense... AND ENJOY YOURSELF YA LUCKY B*@#%&!!!

And TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS!!! and post em up here with a ride report!!

Guest Recalcitrance

I remember my first long ride. Went solo for a 300 mile loop into the mountains. Half a day but felt longer. Was nervous since I went solo but that was planned. When I got home, I was ready for any distance. I only needed that short jaunt into unknown territory by myself to get over the feelings of apprehension.

Try a long ride in your nearby counties but through new areas and on new roads. You'll feel better once it's done and you realize, "Hey, that wasn't bad at all." :)

Map. Phone. Water. Snacks. AAA. Roadside assistance. Extra layers for the cold.

And as said above, you'll have plenty of us nearby.

Enjoy the ride!

Sometimes it is the "issues" that pop up that make a trip memorable and an adventure. Even with some break downs, a trip would be better than sitting at home. I always prep the bike (or car) before to make sure it is up for a long trip. Never had any serious problems. My grandparents rode a motorcycle all over the country with no big problems, and that was 40 years ago. They say that was the best time of their lives, and is what inspired me to ride motorcycles and travel.

Good luck, and do it!

Thank you guys so much, good tips, I will definitely get AAA, and I have the blue connector fix and vfrness installed, and have plant of spare fuses,and will have to do the weekend trips before hand to get used to it, any suggestions on what hotel to stay at close to the dragon,

• Member Contributer

Once you are prepared with all of these great tips, just hop on the bike and ride. A few miles in, all worry just melts away and you just let go.

I went on my first decently long ride last spring. 13 days, ~2600 miles on a 30 year old Nighthawk. No plans, just packed and hit the road. Rode from SC to the Ozarks, then back through the Smokies, hitting the Dragon, the Cherohala, and my personal favorite, Moonshiner 28.

I highly recommend staying at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah. Mo and Bobby are good people.

• Member Contributer

Thank you guys so much, good tips, I will definitely get AAA, and I have the blue connector fix and vfrness installed, and have plant of spare fuses,and will have to do the weekend trips before hand to get used to it, any suggestions on what hotel to stay at close to the dragon,

I'd suggest the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort.

• Member Contributer

There's nothing to it. You're traveling through a populated part of the country, with a cell phone you have instant communication most of the time. Look at it like a very long commute, because really that's what it is: you're traveling to the Dragon and you're traveling home. Just a very long commute. :beer:

I did a lot of trips down through the Southwest on a 1971 and 1973 Bonneville in the 70's. Just keep a positive outlook and everything is good. In my mind the trip is the thing, the destination is secondary since the ultimate destination is back home. So just enjoy the traveling, look around a lot while you're on the road so you get an idea of what the towns are like, what the scenery is like, just how thing look in general. In this day and age help is just not far away at all.

• Member Contributer

OK, now with all this good advice - sign up for TexasMac event the last weekend of May. Great time, meet new friends, ride awesome roads.

• Member Contributer

i remember my 1st long trip!

20 years old and got a call from a girl telling me to come visit her in CA as her parents were gone for 2 weeks.. :cheerleader:

philly to malibu in 38 hours and few min..

on a 86 vfr750. i just packed a back pack with 2 days of clothes some tools and spare levers and a spare r/r and was out the door in 20 min..

i STILL dont know what malibu looks like!! :wub:

• Member Contributer

Beer or no beer ?

Deals Gap opens March 1st .

It has beer.

I ride about 5,000+ miles through the USA from here in Calgary every year. The first trip was a bit nerve wracking - new places, far away, etc. But it was one of the best experiences I've had traveling, so I do it every year now - 90,000 kilometres later. Bring credit, tire kit (small), maps and a GPS and go. Depending on how adventurous you are you can book hotels/camping in advance and plan how far to ride each day, or, just wing it and stop when you're tired. Good luck on your trip.

• Member Contributer

Google tells me it is some 545 miles but I reckon that is interstate.

545 Kilometers, no? 330 miles or so.

Torch, weatherproof matches, Dunny paper, Multi-tool / Swiss army knife, spare key... useful stuff!!! Wet weather gear. Spare gloves. Baby wipes (great for wiping down the helmet visor and getting bugs off the bike, there are all sorts, try for ones that don't leave residue on the visor. Energy bars. Bottle of your favourite liqour... Whatever!!!

Tyres? Maintenance: fresh oil, brake pads, spark plugs etc checked out and/or replaced.

And TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS!!! and post em up here with a ride report!!

Good stuff right there. I dunno what your schedule is like, but I'd find back roads to the Blue Ridge Parkway the first day, and ride the BRP the next. Takes the distance up to about 600 miles, but they're good miles.

Oh, and we're holding you to the ride report...

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Yes I would also recommend cycling shorts and a suitable chafing prevention sauce for those longer trips to assure your precious cargo of nuts are not despoiled.

I see a lot of people that go have track suits, is this something I should purchase before I go? I have motorcycle Jean's with armor, and wear gloves and shift racing leather jacket,

• Member Contributer

Go to ADVrider.com and look and some of the insane places people take their bikes. All sorts of 3rd world countries where no one speaks their language and there are no bike shops for hundreds of miles. The main thing is to make sure things are in good repair before you leave. Tires, good battery, healthy charging voltage, chain and sprockets in good shape. If anything else goes wrong (which on your bike is very unlikely), people will be around to help you fix it. The fact that you're feeling a bit anxious about it means that it will be an adventure and something memorable when you get back. Be sure to post pics when you get back! Cheers

• Member Contributer

I think most would recommend something better than armored denim, but it doesn't have to be leather. There are some good textiles out there that may more convenient and less expensive. For touring, I like an overpant because I don't have to pack the jeans I'm wearing under them.

Remember, its your @ss. How important is it to you?

Archived