Powercommander V On 5Th Gen (1998)

AnikMankar

• Member Contributer

Since my PCIII had gone dead - I moved to PCV. Imported the existing maps from PC III into PC V - and the bike RUNS LIKE CRAP AT LOW RPM's, surging at low rpms etc. Issues seems to be around the 2000/300 rpm with 15/20% throttle range.

Even with Zero maps the bike seems to have the same problem. Looks like a dead investment at this point. Anyone facing similar issues or fixes.

• Member Contributer

It has been done, do some searching. One thing I do recall from reading a few years ago, was do NOT disable everything, enable everything. the first guy that did this tried exactly what you did & it was very rough. When he enabled all the functions & attached all the sensors & inputs he could it ran really well. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Had a PCV fitted recently to my 5th Gen. Only things done were disconnecting the O2 sensors and fitting an O2 eliminator http://www.dynojet.co.uk/index.php/vehicle-info?make=HONDA&model=VFR800+Fi1&year=2001&Go=Go.

Also blocked off the Pair Valve pipes thats all that was done.

• Member Contributer

PCV supports water & air temp, plus gear indicator etc, not normal for 5th gen, but they are all the same, so adding the extra oftakes/taps to get that info will help might !

• Member Contributer

I shall be following your progress with interest! I tried to use a PCV on my Y2k a few years ago and experienced similar symptoms--all of which were instantly solved by switching back to a PCIII USB--but living 5,500mi away from a bike you only get to see for a couple of days once per year is not conducive to solving difficult tuning problems. Like you, I imported a working map and then I created data for the new column using average values, but the results were wildly different between PCIII and PCV.

Maybe I hooked up the wrong wires? But the only one I used was for the speed sensor--but from the PCV instructions, not even that seems like it is necessary. The other wire inputs on the PCV are for a Map, Shifter, Analog and Crank. These are all described using words suggesting that they are for optional devices: Map is for allow you to switch between two different maps, or activating the learning mode when an Autotune is also being used. Shifter is for a "Dynojet quickshifter". Analog is for "a 0-5v signal such as engine temp, boost, etc." (And Crank you are definitely supposed to leave unconnected, unless Dynojet instructs you to do so.) Maybe I should have confirmed that I'd got the right speed sensor wire... I think I may have tried the PCV without the speed sensor, too, but I don't know without checking my notes.

Good luck!

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My PCV works beautifully, but I've got the autotune module and everything is mapped by gear. I must have a thread on here about it somewhere. No PAIR obviously since that screws with the autotune. No stock O2 sensors, but the autotune module uses an aftermarket wideband.

• Member Contributer

My PCV works beautifully, but I've got the autotune module and everything is mapped by gear. I must have a thread on here about it somewhere. No PAIR obviously since that screws with the autotune. No stock O2 sensors, but the autotune module uses an aftermarket wideband.

Do you have anything hooked up to the PCV, apart from the main harness and Autotune? I have the Autotune as well, but I never really played with it because I couldn't get the PCV to work on its own. One thing at a time, I thought...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

the PCV refuse to work on it own at low RPM. quite painful to manipulate the Maps at these small RPM' and throttle opening. I have no provision on the bike to add the autotune. Plus sounds like some additional holes in my pocket.

I have ordered the HDREV from dynoget to see if i can get the PCIII to work again. if it does then all is good and will sell the PCV.

• Member Contributer

PCV is hooked up to main harness at fuel injectors (same as a PC3) and to the pink speedo lead for sure. It may also be tied to the tach or CPG/IPG , but I'd have to check.

• 1 year later...
33 minutes ago, Saoirse32 said:

What is the best power commander to get for the 5th gen?  I see a 2nd hand pc2 for sale on ebay.

A Rapid Bike Racing :goofy::wheel:

8 minutes ago, slowbird said:

Uhhh....$850? Fug dat

$695 for Racing and $525 for Evo...

It was even cheaper when we had the group buy :tongue:

1 hour ago, slowbird said:

Uhhh....$850? Fug dat

Doh!  It looks like the Evo doesn't come with the lambda sensors.  In order to be able to use the Adaptive tune feature on 98-99 models. you'll need to purchase the additional unit.  That makes the RB price $850.

I'm on a 2000-2001, I definitely have O2 Sensors on my bike.  Not sure why RB wouldn't have a separate kit for these 2 years.

Might have to rethink this.  I've seen PCIII for $260 new.

On 6/17/2016 at 5:26 PM, Gavmac said:

Doh!  It looks like the Evo doesn't come with the lambda sensors.  In order to be able to use the Adaptive tune feature on 98-99 models. you'll need to purchase the additional unit.  That makes the RB price $850.

I'm on a 2000-2001, I definitely have O2 Sensors on my bike.  Not sure why RB wouldn't have a separate kit for these 2 years.

Might have to rethink this.  I've seen PCIII for $260 new.

Yes, for the 98/99, you do not have o2 sensors already, so you will be spending money to get the most out of it, but on the 2000 and up, you have factory o2 sensors, so $525 actually might be cheaper than a Power Commander 3/5 + Autotune and or Dyno tune. I need to talk to Yaman and see why he didn't split the 98/99 and 00/01 up into 2 separate categories.

9 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Yes, for the 98/99, you do not have o2 sensors already, so you will be spending money to get the most out of it, but on the 2000 and up, you have factory o2 sensors, so $525 actually might be cheaper than a Power Commander 3/5 + Autotune and or Dyno tune. I need to talk to Yaman and see why he didn't split the 98/99 and 00/01 up into 2 separate categories.

Ya, I was thinking when I got closer to actually doing something, I'd give him a call and see what he had to say.  Maybe the '02+ units work on the 00/01.  It would be great to hear what he has to say.

And yes, if it does have the O2 sensors and Adaptive tune, it seems like a better way to do.

Thanks

The +02 kits definitely work on the 00/01's, but the harness is a bit short and the mapping WILL have to be corrected. A handful of guys with 5th gens, bought the sixth gen kits during the group buy. It works, but its not ideal. That is one of those things that you would need to talk to Yaman about. 

Archived