Givi M3 Vs M5 Mounting Plate

wera803

I've looked for the answer, but can't seem to find it. What is the difference between the Givi M3 and M5 mounting plate? It looks like the M3 is metal (aluminum?) and the M5 is plastic (some sort of composite). Is that the main difference? Can the luggage be used interchangeably between the two mounts?

• Member Contributer

I've looked for the answer, but can't seem to find it. What is the difference between the Givi M3 and M5 mounting plate? It looks like the M3 is metal (aluminum?) and the M5 is plastic (some sort of composite). Is that the main difference? Can the luggage be used interchangeably between the two mounts?

If I recall correctly, I believe that the case will dictate what mount you will need. Look at the "front edge" of the mounts here: http://www.giviusa.com/givi-products/mounting-hardware/top-case-mounting. Unless the case info states it will work with either mounting plate, you are relegated to the mounting plate that matches your top case. At least that is what I recall from my conversations with the GIVI seller I purchased from.

I thought one was for the Monolock and one was for the Monokey?

That's m5 and m7 I think.

I believe the m3 isn't for mounting on a monorack, but is intended for a scooter

Grtz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got a response back from Givi. Guess I should have just waited for them.

Looks like the M3 is made for the older F series Monoracks and the M5 and M7 are for the newer FZ Monoracks. All three of them can use the same luggage though. So if using it on something like a Kanadian Ken's Solo Rack, it shouldn't matter which one you have or buy. Might just have to drill different mounting holes.

Archived