7Th Gen Tankbag - Oem Or Aftermarket?

Skids

• Member Contributer

I'm considering a tank bag for when I get my 1200.

The OEM bag looks a little small but does look a quality piece of kit. Does that mount flap about at all? Any other issues/comments/positives?

vfr1200f-tank-bag_cms_site_products_imag

Does anyone with an aftermarket tankbag care to offer an opinion of theirs? Pics would be helpful and bear in mind I'm in the UK, not USA so availability & postage may be factors.

Many thanks.

edit: should have said I'm not really interested in a magnetic mount bag.

• Member Contributer

Get a Tank lock system from Givi instead.

Looked at those, and the Cortech ones but want to wait to get a few opinions first, but thanks.

• Member Contributer

I have used the original, Honda tank bag for three years now, with no problems what so ever, and it is so easy to unclip the front of the tank bag mounting strap, to refill with fuel, a well thought out piece of kit.

post-26584-0-06308900-1418924334.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Dave, at least I know the OEM kit is good then.

Does the fabric mount move about when the bag is secured on it? It looks like there's nothing to stop it slipping sideways.

• Member Contributer

Never knew Honda had an a tank bag for the 1200. Kinda like the tank protector/tank bag combo, but for me I went with the GIVI tank lock on my 5/6 Gens. If I recall, SW Motech has something similar but also has a 12v pass-thru on the mounting plate. Makes it easy to take on/off and charge any battery powered devices in the tank bag.

Just recently bought two Givi bags, one a very small one handy for short trips and the other a 25 litre bag which swallows a full size helmet.

What I have found useful with having more than one bike is the interchangeable system once you have the tanklocks on. Swapping them around between bikes is a breeze. I have just done a 4000 km tour using the large bag and it was great, except it obscured my GPS. A longer stalk on the ram mount would fix that.

The side pockets are useful for pressure gauges, sunscreen, ferry tickets and the like without having to dive into your main luggage. I find it easy to carry around using the safety strap which locks around the steering stem. This also works as well as a shoulder strap.

It also comes with a separate IPad case which clips on top or fits in side. There is a rubber sealed access for an external charger as well if you have a socket fitted.

On shorter trips I find myself just using the smaller one. There is also a mid size which looks closer to the OEM bag.

I did use the raincover during one wet run and it is easy to put on. However I have often been in the rain without it and so far it does not leak. I think it is just sufficiently shielded by the fairing.

They are quite easy to lock on the bike with small padlocks.

post-23773-0-57195700-1418959151.jpg

post-23773-0-28197900-1418959244.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just revisiting this thread now since I've bought the bike.

I take it there's no movement of the bag with these Tank Lock bags when at high speeds?

Has anyone tried the Cortech bags?

• Member Contributer

Can confirm no movement of Givi Tank Lock bag at very high speed - OEM side bags also remain attached as does Givi 40 litre bag attached to rear seat area with bungee cords. Pilot should probably also have been strapped down.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have the SW Motech installed on their 7th Gen? I'm trying to decide what tank bag to purchase and would like some pic of the bag on the bike for size comparison.

Has anyone tried the Cortech bags?

I have a strappy Cortech bag. I love it. I do have the Tankslapper 3M film on the tank though -- otherwise the paint would be scratched to death.

16581204278_c7e035fbcb_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Brian.

I want the tank cap-mounted Dryver but it's good to know that folk are happy with the manufacturer.

I very nearly managed to get one.....my BiL just had a work trip to San Jose, unfortunately neither dealer had them in stock and he didn't have time to go back and collect later.

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2015 at 0:04 AM, BrianF said:

I have a strappy Cortech bag. I love it. I do have the Tankslapper 3M film on the tank though -- otherwise the paint would be scratched to death.

16581204278_c7e035fbcb_b.jpg

Hi, Brian!  Where did the front straps go to mount this Cortech tank bag?  Thank you!

They go around the steering stem on each side. A bit of a hassle at first when taking off to get gas, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Archived