Hello From The Rainy Pnw

RedRicer

Hello all. I bought my '04 with only 4700 miles and brand new shoes a couple months ago, and am finally getting around to introducing myself.

Its the rainy season up here just north of Seattle WA, so riding is hit or miss. but in my spare time I have already taken care of the air box mods, switched out the clutch and brake levers, changed the oil, K&N filters all around, and my EBC brakes are in the mail. Did the decals too to add a sporty touch and hopefully a PCV and full Delkevic system are in the cards for over the winter.

This forum is an amazing place and I look forward to chatting with many of you as my love affair with this bike continues.

Cheers

post-31443-0-05676600-1416592943.jpg

Hiya from another (nearly) PNW'er .... Hot looking Viffr, but ya know the Silver ones are quicker haha.

We are lucky out this way for having so many miles of mountain twisties, enjoy them Amigo..

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Normally I would say you can keep the rain but since CA is having a "serious" drought, (actually saw a CalTrans road sign with those words on it), maybe you can send some our way...well not as far as Anaheim, but just south enough to fill the reservoirs!

Ride safe and congrats on your new (to you) ride!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Nice ride and welcome. It's amazing how many 10 year old bikes there are out there with hardly any miles on them. It would also be worth checking with a local dealer if the wiring recall has been done. You could probably just call the svc dept and read them the V.I.N. number. Getting that done can save untold grief later on.

harness recall has been already been taken care of.

any other small (or large) things I should be aware of? and what are some of your favorite first mods to do? I'm ready to get my hands greasy!

• Member Contributer

harness recall has been already been taken care of.

any other small (or large) things I should be aware of? and what are some of your favorite first mods to do? I'm ready to get my hands greasy!

Stator and R/R on earlier and some later models were prone to early failure. Check all electrical connectors for over heating/melting and check the charging system just to be sure everything is OK. As far as mods, you've listed a few of the more common ones, other than those, maybe some ergonomic ones I.e.Heli-bars, Different seat, Different wind screen. Maybe to go along with new brakes, some steel braided lines and/or speed bleeders

If you are going to do any amount of distance travel, some things that will make the ride more comfortable..BLS Lowering pegs (drop your foot pegs about 1 inch), ThrottleMeister throttle control, works really well on the flats, not so well on hills but gives your right hand a break every so often, add an inline voltage metering device, analog, digital...to monitor state of charging system..consider it the "early warning " device for electrical problems, and "Honda"(Givi) hard cases and mounting brackets and an expandable tank bag...if you are doing any amount of night time travel where there is significant risk of critter encounters, then add some hi-output and aim-able lighting (aim one light into right ditch and the other into the left).

Lots of photos and links in the forums for self inflicted farkle projects...have fun.

• Member Contributer

I just moved away from 15+ years of daily commuting and touring out of Seattle. Here are a few things I found essential to comfortable riding:

- Heated grips make a dramatic difference in your comfort and let you wear thinner gloves that give you more precise control.

- A helmet visor with a pin-lock fog shield. Best investment you can make in your safety and comfort. If a pin-lock visor isn't available for your helmet the Fog City ProShield is an alternative but at some sacrifice to optical clarity and durability.

- Heated bib or vest. The Kanetsu Warmbib from aerostitch.com was one of the best upgrades I made to my riding experience.

- Waterproof boots and gloves. These might seem obvious but without good ones you're going to be uncomfortable.

- A white silk scarf to bridge the gap between the bottom of your helmet and jacket collar. Adds just the right touch to your worldly persona, as well.

• Member Contributer

Nice find! And Welcome form another north of Seattle year round rider :wheel: The weather this year has been awesome! even last week with the 22 deg commute (Heated grips are wonderful) was not to bad. I hope you enjoy your new find and put some miles on her!

Archived