Auroras In February - Help Me Plan

Guest Recalcitrance

Guest Recalcitrance

I don't even know where to begin. Are the auroras visible in a place with road access? Do I need to go to the arctic or would lower latitudes get the job done?

Sorry for the vague questions. I'm stumped as to where I should be looking.

Story:

Mom and dad are retired and this will be a trip of a lifetime for them and I want to tag along...except I'll be riding (hopefully). I need your help planning the route, timing, lodging, and giving me any information at all that will be useful. Mom and Dad are willing to fly, take a train, etc. They are both in very good health and can hike if necessary. I'd like to be on my bike if possible and meet them at the final stopping point.

Money no object. This is something they've wanted to do together since they first met in college. Please help if you can. Thank you!

• Member Contributer

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Or fly over to Norway and get onboard a cruiseship?

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/what-to-do/tours-safaris/tour-suggestions/amazing-northern-lights-cruises/

Please note that there a no guarantees.... I know of 2 people who each spend one week up north in Norway and only got to see a glimmer....

I know of 2 people who each spend one week up north in Norway and only got to see a glimmer....

Maybe they should have sprung for the optional LSD or shrooms. :goofy:

Nevermind, probably not on Mom and Dads bucket list. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

In N. America you would probably have to get to at least 55 to 60 deg N latitude to see it - but 65 degrees is more likely. Fairbanks, AK is at 64 deg, Juneau, AK is 58 deg., Whitehorse, YT is 60 deg. Here's another link with tips on viewing. If you click on the North America hyperlink you can see the range of possibilities depending on solar activity (which apparently peaked in 2011/2012).

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/Aurora/

edit

Here's another link

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/

And this one from a hyper link from that one that has a polar map that will show you where you'll likely see it

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

• Member Contributer

Best areas for viewing the Northern Lights are far north - think Alaska, Nunavut, Northwest Territories or Yukon. Places like Whitehorse, Yukon have an entire tourism industry built around the Aurora Borealis. Best viewing is in small communities or outside of towns where light pollution doesn't pose a problem. Many of the towns in the north have tourism companies that offer Aurora tours where they check the forecast and viewing conditions ahead of time and will take you out to prime viewing locations (away from light pollution, near lakes, etc) by car, bus or even dogsled (now THAT's premium bucket list material right there!).

Certainly it is possible to see them a lot further south - I've seen them from just outside Calgary, but only a few times in my life. When they are forecast to be strong I have ventured out of the city but most of the time I have been disappointed. The best viewing is definitely much further north!

The best times to see the displays are during the winter which boasts long nights and clear skies. The Aurora occur year round, however in the summer the night skies are not dark enough for optimum viewing. Keep in mind that viewing the Northern Lights is very dependent on weather (cloud cover), solar activity, etc.

Riding to the "Great White North" is purely a summer activity - unless you are talking about riding a snowmobile. (Sorry to put a damper on your idea of riding out to meet them - but it's not realistic during the winter. Remember those of us who live to the north have a very different understanding of winter - for me it's motorcycle parking season... although it is possible to go ice racing on dirt bikes with studded tires on frozen lakes. Not the type of weather that is conducive to riding.).

Good luck with it - and if you're planning a winter trip that far north make sure you purchase a down filled Parka rated to minus 40 - you will need it!

Guest Recalcitrance

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll pass this thread along to Dad.

Yeah, riding was a fun idea but I figured it wouldn't be possible. A girl can dream eh?

Any and all advice, stories, etc. are welcome. The more the better. Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Although I can't recall seeing them, they have been seen in the farther reaches of The North Shore of Lake Superior here in Minnesota and along the Canadian border across northern MN.

Remember those of us who live to the north have a very different understanding of winter -

I have a different understanding here in LA than I did when I lived in Chicago.

Fifty degrees F is freezing here. Not so in Chicago. :biggrin:

I've seen Aurora twice in my 46 years of living in Kansas. Not the pretty, dancing sheets you see on the web, just a soft glow of color on the northern horizon, but enough to know you're seeing Aurora.

Visit spaceweather.com on a regular basis and you'll soon learn all you need to know about this natural phenomenon.

• Member Contributer

I've seen Aurora twice in my 46 years of living in Kansas. Not the pretty, dancing sheets you see on the web, just a soft glow of color on the northern horizon, but enough to know you're seeing Aurora.

Visit spaceweather.com on a regular basis and you'll soon learn all you need to know about this natural phenomenon.

Thanks v much Lee. I'll be tuning in on that site regularly.

Guest Recalcitrance

Since riding is out of the question, I guess this thread is officially off topic.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. I'll look into all the northern areas suggested and hopefully start piecing together a plan.

Thanks again!

Archived