Topcase Options For 7Th Gen

marriedman

On both my old VFR's I had full luggage sets but I found that the one piece that got the most usage was the topcase. I like the look of the OEM topcase, but there is no way in hell I am spending ~$900 for that and the mounting kit. I have looked at the Givi setup, but I do not like the way it looks. It sticks up and back too far and it looks like it will break too easily. Such as this:

post-20375-0-40828100-1359620482.jpg

I only know of a few case manufacturers (Givi, Kappa, & Shad) but what I am hoping to find is a 35 liter topcase that I can put my helmet in at least and not look like a waiter with a serving tray.

givi-honda-vfr1200f-hd.jpg

11650129-waiter-with-tray-of-food-in-han

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Another thread about stuff costing too much! You could always collect stamps instead! :goofy:

I bought all of the OEM luggage 2nd hand, panniers, top case, etc. Be patient and look around.

• Member Contributer

Get the SW Motech rack from twisted throttle and then the correct mount (SHAD, Hepco Becker, Kappa etc...) to match whatever top case you want to use. Both SHAD and Hepco make better looking top cases than GIVI IMO and they are also of equal quality. You should be able to get the whole set up for ~$400.

Another thread about stuff costing too much! You could always collect stamps instead! :goofy:

I bought all of the OEM luggage 2nd hand, panniers, top case, etc. Be patient and look around.

lol, yeah I like to save money. Spending more doesn't mean better. And I can't believe the OEM case is worth $1K.

If they come up for sale, I'll hold out for them. But I'll take a look at those Hepco. Never heard of them before.

Thanks for the leads!

Stick with the Honda carrier. It's pricey but very robust. I mounted the e250 universal base plate to my Honda carrier and I use a e55 maxia topcase. You could use any Givi case with it though.

http://vfr1200fa.blogspot.ca/2010/07/givi-e55-maxia-topcase.html

I did not know you could do this. To be sure I am understanding you correctly, you are using the OEM topcase mounting kit with a universal plate to mount any Givi case??

This opens up so many options! Do you have a picture of the setup without the case on?

• Member Contributer

lol, yeah I like to save money. Spending more doesn't mean better. And I can't believe the OEM case is worth $1K.

You chose the wrong hobby.

You could always use a duffle bag and some bunjees. Cheapest way to get it done.

I respectfully disagree. The last Givi setup I had I got for $400. That was both e41's, all the mounting hardware and a no-name topcase. I believe I can do something similar.

When I decided to get a 7th gen, I didn't settle for the averaged priced ones. I found one then haggled them down.

Why are you so opposed to spending as little money as possible? Doesn't seem that I can get on your good side unless I spend a lot of money. I can understand it if someone has the money and no patience. I, on the other hand, have little money and plenty of patience.

I can't tell, are there any passenger grab handles on those Alu-Racks?

There are not. I'm not sure where most people land on passenger grab handles, but for me, I prefer not to have them at all.

1871119101-zz.jpg

1871119101-sa.jpg

• Member Contributer

I respectfully disagree. The last Givi setup I had I got for $400. That was both e41's, all the mounting hardware and a no-name topcase. I believe I can do something similar.

When I decided to get a 7th gen, I didn't settle for the averaged priced ones. I found one then haggled them down.

Why are you so opposed to spending as little money as possible? Doesn't seem that I can get on your good side unless I spend a lot of money. I can understand it if someone has the money and no patience. I, on the other hand, have little money and plenty of patience.

The VFR1200 is a $16k motorcycle, and has accessory prices to match the OEM bike price. Sure, most of us are getting them much cheaper, but my point was motorcycling ain't cheap, period. No one said anything about going to your local dealer, bending over, and ordering a full luggage set at full MSRP. And I'm not complaining about anyone trying to save money. Most of my farkles are bought 2nd hand. It was more of a jab. "Stands are too much money!" then we see a bike laying on its' side. Now this. I hope we don't see "These exhausts cost too much!"

If economy pricing was so important to you I would have thought a nice, preserved, and farkled 800 would be your game, complete with luggage on the used market. Then you wouldn't have to complain about accessory prices.

They are a false sense of security, but they are handy if you need to hook on them. My kids like to have them also, for peace of mine. The more I see that rack, the more I like it. I will probably go that route. I am betting I can find a nylon strap handle that I can put on and take off whenever the kids want to go for a ride.

Thanks for the info and pics!

The VFR1200 is a $16k motorcycle, and has accessory prices to match the OEM bike price. Sure, most of us are getting them much cheaper, but my point was motorcycling ain't cheap, period. No one said anything about going to your local dealer, bending over, and ordering a full luggage set at full MSRP. And I'm not complaining about anyone trying to save money. Most of my farkles are bought 2nd hand. It was more of a jab. "Stands are too much money!" then we see a bike laying on its' side. Now this. I hope we don't see "These exhausts cost too much!"

If economy pricing was so important to you I would have thought a nice, preserved, and farkled 800 would be your game, complete with luggage on the used market. Then you wouldn't have to complain about accessory prices.

Boy I'll second you on that! No it is not a cheap hobby/lifestyle. In regards to the bike on its side, yeah I can't really say shit about that. I had only had the bike about 2 weeks at this point and I was still researching stand options. It was just damned bad luck that it happened.

lol, as for the exhaust... I got lucky and picked up 2 Bros Black Series for $150. Just needed buffing. Glad I didn't have it mounted when the bike fell too.

Economy pricing is important to me, and you are right. A farkled out 800 was my style. Both my '99 & '07 were decked out. I came to the 2010 for the technological updates. There was no cost effective way to take the tech back to the 5th gen I loved so much.

I 2nd the ALU-RACK. It works great, but be prepared to chase the threads when installing the rack. Mine came with powder coating in the threads which made for an extra step.

IMG_20130731_154009_zpsfcdf9f9b.jpg

IMG_20130731_153531_zps44dd7963.jpg

photo_zpsa37e5e0b.jpg

which top case is that?

I carry either an E55 or V46 on the SW Motech Alurack. Not all Aluracks are built well to support a heavy load, but the VFR1200 version is stout. It integrates well with their V35 racks, so that was big factor in deciding which to get. FWIW, I though the OEM top case is too much $ per litre.

Nothing wrong with being frugal, but nothing is "cheap" in motorcycling. You can choose to spend less, but you don't want to go cheap.

Going cheap only gets expensive in the long run. Get the right tool for the job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Question for anyone with the OEM topcase mount. After you've done the initial install and any part aligment, is changing back and forth from the mount and the standard grab rails just a matter of the removing/replacing the 4 grab rail screws or does other stuff have to come apart?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Question for anyone with the OEM topcase mount. After you've done the initial install and any part aligment, is changing back and forth from the mount and the standard grab rails just a matter of the removing/replacing the 4 grab rail screws or does other stuff have to come apart?

Thanks

Just those 4 grab rail screws. I was swapping back and forth but I don't like the threads going through that all the time so I left the carrier on, and don't plan on taking it off again. If you get the carrier, use silicon on the grab rail screw covers. I lost one, Honda won't let you order a replacement (really, really pisses me off) and everyone loses them unless you silicon the damn things on there. Wish I knew that in the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

How hard is it to find OEM luggage used? I'd only be looking for the side cases, would likely go SW Motech and my old E55 Maxia...

About to buy a VFR

- Dan

Archived