1995 Fuel Leak

Went out to the garage and found a puddle of fuel under the left rear foot peg. Had ridden the night before and topped off the tank. I found one of the hose clamps out of position by the fuel pump and the bottom of the fuel pump was wet. I really couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. I slid the clamp back where it belonged and cleaned everything up waiting to see if the clamp was the issue. Has anyone ever had fuel leaking from the actual pump? The bike runs fine but I won't ride it until this gets cleared up. Thanks for any input.

Marty

• Member Contributer

My 84 VF1000F is parked right now, fuel pump is one of my issues. I had noticed a puddle under the bike, and thought it was a carb leaking. Figured it was float valve. I just turned off fuel when parked. Six months of this, then finally found fuel coming out of fuel pump. I believe these pumps have a rubber diaphram inside, and this is what has failed. I'll be swapping out fuel pump, once I get oil leak sorted out.

Jeff M

• Member Contributer

turn off the gas at the petcock under the bike..

lift tank and remove the pump and hoses.

inspect all the hoses and filters for cracks. the pumps CAN leak.. in fact i have had 2 catch fire fire .. :blink:

but those where on the 86/87..

and fixed by using gas proof silicone around the middle seam..

hopefully you just have a crack and need a new line or filter. :fing02:

My 1990 fuel pump was leaking recently around its central joint. If you lift the tabs and pull it apart there is a rubber seal in there, and it had obviously stopped sealing. I didn't manage to stop it leaking so I bought a new one eBay for about $50. It has been on the bike for about 6 months with no problems.

Interestingly the points of the old one, which are under its rear cover, were shot. I don't think the pump could have been working. I never ever heard it, and I do now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally received my fuel pump but it has a little plastic nipple towards the bottom (looks like a vacuum line). The one that came off of my bike did not have the same nipple. Does it serve a function? I don't see any lines on the bike to hook up to it.

Thanks,

Marty

Archived