Leaning Blind At Night

JimGregory

I can't imagine there is a good answer to this but is there anything that can be done about the headlight spread at night while going through sharp curves leaned over? I am totally blind doing this unless I remember to switch on the high beams. They help some.

I have never had this problem on any other bike.

Maybe aiming the left side more right? I dont think I could do that enough to help. As it is the left side shoots up into the air and the right side shoots down into the ground. Everything is fine while not leaned or leaned a little.

• Member Contributer

The only thing I could suggest is auxiliary lighting. Maybe mounting some LED Lights on the fork tubes, I've seen quite a few adv and touring bikes with this setup but never got a chance and questioned the riders about them.

You joke with that, but there are HID setups worn on your helmet. Granted, they are meant for off roaders who love to ride trails at night, but they provide plenty of light in the direction you look.

More complicated setup (but without the headgear) would be auxiliary lights just for lighting turns, controlled by a tilt sensor.

• Member Contributer

Fwiw

I rarely ride at night and then there are streetlights galore.

Recall one late evening ride back from the Nurburgring to Spangdahlem. Found my 4th gen (both lights on) woefully inadequate in fast/sharp turns too. Slow down the only recourse

• Member Contributer

I know when I rode off road (early/mid-80's), I put dual headlights on my ATC, one was a spot beam and one wide beam, this was also something that Honda also did on their Baja racers (2 and 3 wheelers) but I think this was more for high speed runs than for corners. The helmet light is also a good idea but would be limited by battery or tied to a cable. Check out Mouse McCoy's setup in the movie 'Dust to Glory'.

Am I the only 5th gen guy to notice this? If I am leaning hard at about 40mph I honestly can not see in front of me. I can see the ground on my right nicely about 10 feet in front of me. And I can see bloody Saturn and her 7 rings in the sky to my left and up. The light beam from my bike is flat like a piece of plywood. Again it's fine going straight. I guess aux lighting is the only help and that would totally experimental and pricy to boot. Oh well.

• Member Contributer

Apparently that is exactly why BMW went to adaptive lighting as optional on the K1600GT. That is a downside to fairing mounted lighting systems... My Duc is possibly the worst: low shines down at the front wheel and the highs light the night sky or trees above the roadway...

• Member Contributer

Jim,

Assuming your VFR's headlights are aimed correctly you'll just have to use main beams. The cutout on dipped beam to protect oncoming drivers means less illumination on RH bends. The most cost effective solution is to use main beams on dark, twisty roads and dip them for oncoming vehicles as required. You'd have to switch aux lights the same way so not much to be gained.

My frame mounted BMW R100RS light seems fine. I think is a much less "flat" beam. And a single lamp as well.

I have not had the VFR for very long. And for the most part the lights are fine at night. I just hit this one 270 degree tight highway on-ramp that I have a lot of fun with in daylight, but the first time at night and I almost crapped myself. I threw her into it and was instantly blind..

I must adapt. But really I was shocked that honda would put me in that situation.

• Member Contributer

I've noticed fifth gen low beams really stink. Even for straight ahead. Worthless for spotting deer on the roadsides. I now have a policy when riding at night, esp. in deer country. If I can use my highbeams, I can go 50 - 55 mph max. If I can't, following traffic or with on-coming traffic, 35 - 40 mph is max. Turns are even worse.

I've always thought AnikMankar's fifth gen with the aux. lights looked like a good solution. What say you Anik?

Like Dutchy says, slowing down is the only sensible thing to do.

• Member Contributer

My frame mounted BMW R100RS light seems fine. I think is a much less "flat" beam. And a single lamp as well.

I have not had the VFR for very long. And for the most part the lights are fine at night. I just hit this one 270 degree tight highway on-ramp that I have a lot of fun with in daylight, but the first time at night and I almost crapped myself. I threw her into it and was instantly blind..

I must adapt. But really I was shocked that honda would put me in that situation.

You are not the first to notice it. High beams are the only solution for the 5G.

Occasionally we do night rides and the guy in front is at a distinct disadvantage...picture 5-8 bikes with their high beams on and mirrors folded just a bit so as not to blind the rider(s) in front of you and you are presented with an awesome ride - for riders 2-8 but the lead is almost blind upon the first few feet leaning into right hander even with the brights on.

• Member Contributer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Power-U2-CREE-1200LM-12V-60V-Motorcycle-Car-LED-Headlight-Headlamp-Bulb-X2-/171485116165?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ed4f3705&vxp=mtr

I just got one of these and it is a low voltage marvel. China has LED tech in the bag. Installed as a headlight and it is amazing. Easy to mount and wire to any pos and neg. Toss in a switch if you want. Bob's your uncle!

• Member Contributer

Have these on my ride...work like a charm

6943f4af9ce146c5d35ea772253433f7.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about! Great solution. That's become my next farkel project.

Thanks Anik!

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

I've got LED bulbs in my 5th gen & even before these never had a problem on dark roads. High beam is there for use when its dark & no oncoming traffic. At 40-50mph, I can run with low beams with no problems. That said in the UK most country roads have a white centre line & a white edge line at the side of the road which helps. But in the dry I can run roads without the edge lines.

I've got LED bulbs in my 5th gen & even before these never had a problem on dark roads. High beam is there for use when its dark & no oncoming traffic. At 40-50mph, I can run with low beams with no problems. That said in the UK most country roads have a white centre line & a white edge line at the side of the road which helps. But in the dry I can run roads without the edge lines.

I get the whole High Low beam thing. Been riding 45 years. Never had, or at least I dont remember having, a bike with lights like this. I know the road. I can get round the curve. I just cant see in front of me when well leaned over. So I have been going slower or using high beams when I can. I like the auxillary lights thing. Have to aim them just right to be effective in this situation.

I learned long ago to be very carefull with high beams. If we flash a cop here by accident he WILL pull you over and that should be avoided.It's just habit.

• Member Contributer

Not sure of USA light cutoff alignment, but in UK its 2ft at 25yds, so low beam cuts off at around 60yds. We also have a high left side angle, so its shows more of a left turn than a right.

Wait a second. I DID lave to lower my high beams as they were way to high and I could see better with the lows then the highs. I will still lower them just a touch more so they are just right. But I wonder if the highs and lows are independantly adjustable? Pretty sure that raising the low beams would be a big help.

• Member Contributer

You will 2 holes on your upper dash cowl. These are to lower or raise the headlight assembly using a cross head screw driver. The body of the headlight moves - this impacts both high and low beam together

You will 2 holes on your upper dash cowl. These are to lower or raise the headlight assembly using a cross head screw driver. The body of the headlight moves - this impacts both high and low beam together

Well yes that is how I adjusted them.

51ab1ab67c4c51033bbfe2e135bfa5f4.jpg

Out come ...

544fa79ceae2928643f7971d868f2217.jpg

Anik, curious as to how much this draw off your power source. When I run my heated grips and highbeams, my LED voltage meter blinks red at idle, so I have to turn off the grips when at a stop. I wonder if it would be bad to power these up as well. I ride a lot after dark (especially going into the fall here in the Northeast US) so these are really appealing.

• Member Contributer

At 3000 rpm it has no impact and works well. I have also attached a dimmer to manage that draw. My HIDs consume more power than these.

But as long as your bike is running no worries. I do have a lot of this electrical's on my bike - so for so good

• Member Contributer

Would you provide details about these lights please? Who makes them. Where did you buy them?

Thanks Anik

Archived