The Official 2015 Sumsum <3 Page

didit

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am in Virgin UT. Thanks to Tony for the fabulous event. Everyone was so much fun. I've been forced inside from the 100F heat. Internet connection suks boogwater.

• Member Contributer

I am in Virgin UT. Thanks to Tony for the fabulous event. Everyone was so much fun. I've been forced inside from the 100F heat. Internet connection suks boogwater.

Glad you're well Terry. Hopefully you're having a good time! Thanks for giving us an update. Safe travels!

• Member Contributer

Well ... ? The mystery is killing me.

Are you home now Sparrow? If not, you're wet, very wet. I woke up at 7 a.m. (in my own bed, after two weeks on the road) to the sound of a biblical downpour. Environment Canada is calling for rain every day until Thursday, with rain and wind warnings and thunderstorms today. It's so dark today it feels like something is wrong--we haven't had this kind of rain since March or April. Ride carefully if you're still out there.

Chatted with the trooper, admitted my fault in riding a 'bit' fast and got a warning. Then got to Edgefield and got hostel bed on a super busy concert night.

And got free concert ticket from the front desk girl.

Decided to stay another night and brave the storms tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Well ... ? The mystery is killing me.

Are you home now Sparrow? If not, you're wet, very wet. I woke up at 7 a.m. (in my own bed, after two weeks on the road) to the sound of a biblical downpour. Environment Canada is calling for rain every day until Thursday, with rain and wind warnings and thunderstorms today. It's so dark today it feels like something is wrong--we haven't had this kind of rain since March or April. Ride carefully if you're still out there.

Chatted with the trooper, admitted my fault in riding a 'bit' fast and got a warning. Then got to Edgefield and got hostel bed on a super busy concert night.

Happy ending - nice! I'm about 40 minutes from Edgefield. If you need anything or I can help in any way, shoot me a PM!

• Member Contributer

Well, finally loaded up some images and put a Summary video together.

Quicker than I could load, HS has featured 1 on the home page, Thanks!

Enjoy these images and check out the video at the end.

Hotel sign

Hotel sign 1

morning parking Lot

Hwy 141 ride 1

Hwy 141 ride 2

Hwy 141 ride 3

Hwy 141 ride 4

Lee Low side

Lee2002 visor

group shot

great facilities 3

great facilities 2

great facilities 1

BC boys

99grin getting friendly

Gateway Car musem

Gateway VFR parking

museum sample 3

museum sample 2

museum sample 1

museum sample 2 Mil

popcorn surprise

Phil & Beau from Horsefly

Sequia Forest

Front desk decor

Something to watch.

• Member Contributer

Who doesn't like a happy ending? :cool: I thought I was the smart one, beelining for home and missing the storm, but you may have been smarter. You'll get wet coming home today, but I was tossed back into the stone ages (along with 500,000 other Lower Mainlanders) when the power went out around noon on Saturday. They're calling it the worst storm in a decade (since the 2006 Stanley Park wind storm). Power was restored here (Coquitlam) last night at 11:30 p.m. after having been out for 35 1/2 hours! The longest it had ever been out here before was two hours. Police were advising people to stay home due to trees and debris in the roads and intersections with no lights. Funny--I had decided not to camp on this trip, but I ended up eating canned beans and seeing my way around with flashlights and candles at home. No hot water either.

Washington was hit pretty badly too (two dead there, one seriously injured here by a falling tree), and there are still a lot of trees down and debris to clean up. I hope you get home safely, Arman.

• Member Contributer

Glad you made it home safely. Coincidentally, I read this Denver Post column, just after reading your post.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28722235/bear-chases-cyclist-waterton-canyon-area-closed-public

This is the second incident I read about in CO this summer, where a bear has chased someone one a mountain bike. Good thing you encountered "Yogi". Did you report the encounter?

Hi, Larry. Sorry I've been slow to reply. We had what they're calling the 'storm of the decade' here, and power was just restored last night after having been out for 35 1/2 hours!

We were hiking out of the Sarvis Creek trail at about 1 p.m. and were a mile or so from the end of the trail (we did about nine miles in total), when we encountered Yogi. The wind was in our faces and, since we'd been hiking for several hours, we weren't talking, just trudging along quietly listening to the sounds of the forest. We came around a bend into an area where the trail was overgrown with ferns and that's when we saw him. It's not uncommon to come across bears while hiking in my area (Southwestern B.C.) so I wasn't unduly alarmed. I was leading so I just stopped. Yogi was rooting for something at the side of the trail. He suddenly looked up in our direction, I could see him flex his left nostril (bears have rubbery faces), then he quickly did a 180 and disappeared into the ferns. We mostly encounter black bears around here (and a bit smaller than this fellow), but from what I know, that is normal bear behaviour so I wasn't too concerned by it. So we didn't formally report the encounter, though we did tell a couple we passed on the way out. There weren't many hikers on the trail that day (a Tuesday morning), but we were a little concerned about a lone female hiker we passed earlier in the day. Yogi seemed to have the right attitude toward humans, so I imagine she was okay.

Beautiful area: Very green (compared to other areas I've hike in Colorado), and lots of wildlife. We saw chipmunks, squirrels, jack rabbits, several varieties of birds--and Yogi on that hike.

Colorado native says: "Show me your nuts." :goofy:

Chip.jpg

• Member Contributer

Made it home yesterday, with an easy ride up the I-5 in mostly sunny skies. So nice that I think I saw CagelessInSeattle and another RWB VFR out for a ride. Crossing the border I hit darkness (even with a full moon), rain, accidents everywhere, and broken trees everywhere.

Used the Raindar app, which Ninja rider I chatted with suggested at a popular biker stop in Deckers, CO. Was very useful.

It was a fun ride.

Belfry, power outage sucks, but a roof of unit in my townhouse complex here in Port Moody got smashed by a tree! And camping is fun, non? ;)

• Member Contributer

I'm in a library in Price UT. Forest fires and 90'+F (two days at 100+) have changed my plans. I'm heading north trying to stay in the mtns. ; heading for Yellowstone. Great riding and camping here in UT. Next stop Vernal UT and 191 north.

Can't say when I'll be on-line next so I'll sign off with a:

Job well done Ditit,

Great fun hanging with the gang,

Thanks to HS for fixing my bike

Thanks to MotorMike for the companionship and help with the flat tire and great riding experience.

Thanks to the sponsers esp Highland Cycles and HorseFly

Thanks to the motel for great hospitality.

Sincerely,

Max

• Member Contributer

Well, finally loaded up some images and put a Summary video together.

Quicker than I could load, HS has featured 1 on the home page, Thanks!

Enjoy these images and check out the video at the end.

Something to watch.

Thanks for organizing and posting this update about the SumSum. One of these years we would like to make this as we seem to end up out west every summer on the bikes. In answer to your question - Hold the event more often? Yes is the answer. Also thank you for your update on 'the man in flat black' was wondering through the whole thread if he would be able to find his way west.

• 2 weeks later...

Things overheard at SumSum3 -

• "Is there bacon in this guacamole?" - Didit
  • "It's like going to a VFR meet on a Harley... or a Kawi." - Tammy
  • "I've got the right route, you've got enough gas, it won't rain.... now drink your beer." - CVVFR (to Didit)
  • "I'm not that blonde." - Tammy
  • "I'm Canadian, I've got one in my pocket and another one in the room." - CVVFR
  • "I've gone electronic." - Lee 2002
  • "You can sit on my cookies anytime." - maxswell
  • "I had to leave Mr. Happy at home" - maxswell
  • "I feel bad for Lee. Fuck, I'm glad it wasn't you again." - Didit (to CVVFR)

Archived