The Official 2015 Sumsum <3 Page

didit

• Member Contributer

4,368 hours.

Yes, I've used Eventbrite on the last 2 SumSums for registration.

Just finished the final design on the logo and working on prizes, swag items, booking dinners, kegs, T-Shirts, Long Sleeve shirts

routes, maps and sponsors. Only a few 'little things'.

Hoping to have the registration page up before the end of the month.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Well ....crap. :sad2:

E-Ticket and the Flying Ant are out for the year's ride.
We have a family member going to through a tough time and need to stay local

to support them and help them move.

Truly bummed about having to pass. But it's the right decision.

Ride safe ... have too much fun, all.

- RandyB/SusanP

P.S. Is there a Canuck ride up north later in the year?

I'm sorry to say, but I can't go, I'm in the same boat as Veefer Canuck last year with the Oregon Trail ride, I just started a new job that I like very much and the vacation days just aren't there, plus that's our busy season. So I cancled my reserved room at the Red Arrow Inn. I just talked to Jerra at the Inn and asked her to save the room for the Sum Sum block and she is going to make a note for her staff, also she said there are still three rooms available in the block, which surprises me.

Have fun, I'll miss you all, my favorite riding buddies and miss the great event that Tony always organizes. Thanks Tony. In the mean time I will begin organizing the Oregon Trail II trip for next year, hope the world hasn't completely burnt up by then!!

• Member Contributer

Sorry folks but I'm out too. Work calls and as a contractor without paid vacation or a secured position, I need to take the work as it comes. Hopefully this will change in the next couple months as they've approved a couple permanent hire positions, so maybe next time.

Hey Cogswell,

We should plan an epic bucket list ride next year, a two week romp through the best of the west. We should form a nucleus, perhaps you, me, Jim aka Bizbat and hopefully a few of our north of the 49th buddies and any others to commit to a two or three week ride and others can join in segments. I'm thinking best of Oregon, Utah, Colorado, California and back to wrap up in Bend.

I'm turning 60 this month and I value my time and life experiences much more than money, but I still need money to live and explore. I'm running out of chances for an epic ride. None of us are getting any younger.

• Member Contributer

I have been negotiating with the company I work for to "buy my job".

That looks like it is going to happen as we have just agreed to terms and the contract outlining those terms should arrive to me Aug 10-12.

:sad: I wont be able to make it and can hardly even keep up with the SumSum threads as all I want to do is jump on a bike and "go west young man."

• Member Contributer

Hey Cogswell,

We should plan an epic bucket list ride next year, a two week romp through the best of the west. We should form a nucleus, perhaps you, me, Jim aka Bizbat and hopefully a few of our north of the 49th buddies and any others to commit to a two or three week ride and others can join in segments. I'm thinking best of Oregon, Utah, Colorado, California and back to wrap up in Bend.

I'm turning 60 this month and I value my time and life experiences much more than money, but I still need money to live and explore. I'm running out of chances for an epic ride. None of us are getting any younger.

While it is kind of early to commit, I'd consider joining the bunch. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity to have guided advice in some of the best riding environments in No America.

I hope it comes true.

Here's to all you Sum Sum riders, have a great time, be safe and oh do I wish I was going with you. Hope you can sleep next week.

• Member Contributer

Feeling butterflies today, starting to put the gear together. Just finished an oil change.

Of course the dizzy feeling may also be my tequila hangover.

• Member Contributer

For those attending that have not seen the story about the Animas River contamination, it's worth checking out.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/10/navajo-nation-epa-mine-wastewater-spill/31399517/

A Google search will turn up many more stories. The river runs north to south generally paralleling US 550 from Silverton, through Durango and further south. The source of the contamination is an abandoned mine in the Silverton area and has run all they way through Durango in to N.M. and apparently parts of Utah. Supposedly the river is running clear now and in some areas declared free of contamination. If I end up having lunch in Durango I'll probably be sticking to something from a bottle to drink. AFAIK no effect on traffic on the MDH. Here's the river a few days ago:

animas-river_1438882581336_22378412_ver1

• Member Contributer

Cogswell... Im game for one day run down the MDH for Lunch and back..Thursday maybe????

Bike is packed

• Member Contributer

Bike packed, finishing off some last minute work, shooting for a 10:20 AM departure time.

Then, 4 days and just over 1600 miles to Montrose,CO!

Safe travels to everyone and looking forward to handing ya'll an ice cold beer (or preference) when you arrive.

• Member Contributer

I'm travelling with MaxSwell.

Campground reservation made for Monday night at the base of Pikes Peak. Gas tank is already filled and we're not leaving until early Sunday morning. We'll camp Sunday night in Northern Nebraska. We're traveling 1,300 miles in chunks of 500, 500, and 300 miles.

We expect an afternoon arrival on Tuesday after an early morning visit to Pikes Peak. The friendly folks at Highland Cycles already have my tires waiting for me. They mentioned another VFRD member also ordered tires.

• Member Contributer

I'm traveling with MotorMike, who is trying to shame me. ;) I still have to do an oil change. Last week I adjusted my chain and found it at the end of it's adjustment so I ordered new sprockets and chain; sprocs are in but no chain yet. Yikes! And then there is that water pump weep hole to find. Tisk, tisk.

I will be ready.

And I'm darn glad I'm riding with a great wing man. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Should have been on the road by now, maybe cooling off in Oregon in creek or lake, but my old VF is giving me grief. Was really hoping to take it on another long run. I had fabulous time with zero problems in 2012. Seems to have trouble starting and its really my fault for not having tested everything better two months ago. Checked charging (wired RR direct), spark plugs (correct gap), synced carbs, battery at 12.6V.

Doesn't restart easily when warmed up. Maybe pilot screws? I'm at wit's end.

Really was hoping for that cool beer upon arrival with all you! Will y'all hate me for taking my other non-V4 Honda bike? (if I manage to cobble some luggage for it) Not sure what to do, and time is in short supply.

• Member Contributer

Should have been on the road by now, maybe cooling off in Oregon in creek or lake, but my old VF is giving me grief. Was really hoping to take it on another long run. I had fabulous time with zero problems in 2012. Seems to have trouble starting and its really my fault for not having tested everything better two months ago. Checked charging (wired RR direct), spark plugs (correct gap), synced carbs, battery at 12.6V.

Doesn't restart easily when warmed up. Maybe pilot screws? I'm at wit's end.

Really was hoping for that cool beer upon arrival with all you! Will y'all hate me for taking my other non-V4 Honda bike? (if I manage to cobble some luggage for it) Not sure what to do, and time is in short supply.

I'll still ride with you S75. It might cost you a beer though. :) Hope you get it sorted.

• Member Contributer

To go along with Terry, aka MaxSwell, me and the wife will both be on a Yamaha. Terry graciously let me ride in Arkansas with him last year on my FZ8 lol. This group is great and really does not care what you are riding. Hope you make it.

Btw Terry, looks like we will miss each other by a day on Pikes Peak. We will be on top of it Monday morning. Vail Pass Sunday, 4 corners monument on Saturday. Sure you can't make it a day earlier.

• Member Contributer

To go along with Terry, aka MaxSwell, me and the wife will both be on a Yamaha. Terry graciously let me ride in Arkansas with him last year on my FZ8 lol. This group is great and really does not care what you are riding. Hope you make it.

Btw Terry, looks like we will miss each other by a day on Pikes Peak. We will be on top of it Monday morning. Vail Pass Sunday, 4 corners monument on Saturday. Sure you can't make it a day earlier.

Wish we could. Mike is a working dude with kids. Can only get away Sun morn. Mike found us Lone Duck campground just outside the park. Hope to start up when the park opens.

I feel the temperature rising! Gota wear diapers cause I'm peeing in my pants in Wild Anticipation.

• Member Contributer

I'm the reason Terry and I are leaving Sunday morning. It was my decision to arrive on Tuesday since that is the event kick off. I have two kids that start school on August 24. I only want to be gone one week.

Terry is retired and has more time. He could have left a week ago if his bike was ready.

Archived