Michelin Tyre Thread! (Mishys Only)

Guest metalicr

Guest metalicr

There is plenty of great info around the web about the differences between Michelin pilot road 2's and 3's. From my understanding almost identical compound just the tread pattern has added parts to deal with rain water better and is a little softer ride. Has anyone had experience with the 4's? Is its a bit of overkill? and a lot pricier over the 2 +3's? Is it worth choosing over a well proven 2 for its price?

Michelin_pilot_road_2_rear_tire_600.jpg

j9as7s.jpg

10wmtqg.jpg

• Member Contributer

The Road 3/4 are superior in the rain. Dry grip is close to the same. Is it worth the extra cost over the 2? Most would say yes if you ride in the rain often.

Comparing the 3 and 4, The 4 had an improved front tire profile and beveled siping to cut down on the wear. Is the 4 worth more than the 3? The people that I have spoken with say yes. As soon as Michelin has all of the fitments for the 4 that they offer in the 3, I would expect that they drop the 3.

• Member Contributer

+1 on using the 3's or 4's in the rain. I had been running 2's and thought I would try a set of 3's for a long trip thinking they would be a better choice were I to encounter bad weather. About 1,000 miles along, it developed a nasty head shake on deceleration at about 35 mph. The siping on the 3's had started developing noticeable scalloping. After switching back to the 2's I've never had the head shake or scalloping recur even after thousands of miles on them. I may try a set of 4's and see how they work out. My 2's even survived some track time without scalloping the way the 3's did. That doesn't seem to be a universal experience with the 3's though - many people seem to run them to replacement without problem or complaint. YMMV.

sweet feedback guys. cheers. Ive got a set of 2s on their way out. Admittedly i don't ride much in the wet but if the feedback on the four could suggest night/day differences over the 2 i'd probably buy 4s and get out in he rain more. would love to hear from anyone who has gone from 2/3 to a 4

I would expect that they drop the 3.

true.

2's for garaged bikes in california and Australia type climates that get used in the dry months, weekend dry rides

4's for more commuter type riders and long distance riders in euro british more rainy climates (or Australian winter rides)

3's - deleted product, out shadowed by the 4's

yeah?

4’s provide an excellent ride, tons of lateral grip, and so far are wearing extremely well. 2's were a great rear tire when paired with the Power 2CT, but 2 fronts were numb and slow to turn. The 4 is extremely quick in tip-in yet very stable in terms of line holding in a curve. Braking feel is also good, as is traction on damp surfaces.

• Member Contributer

Running the 3's and (not being a michy guy) I'm impressed. Great wet and dry handling. Almost exact feel betwixt the two weather types. Wearing well too. Tire pressure 36 front 38 rear. For the price, I'm already looking to get another set... or two ;)

Have PR 4 on front of VFR750 and PR3 (could not get a PR4 in Australia) on the rear.

Bike feels superb compared to the Dunlop qualifiers which were on it originally. Only done a 100 km so far but very impressed.

On my CBR1100 I had PP2ct front and rear, were also very grippy tyres and great handling. Now have PR4 front and rear, handling and grip levels seem similar.

I use PR3s on my 750. I've had 2s before and both are excellent tyres. I didn't see the hype about why grip with the 3s as I had Metzeler Z8s before and found them fantastic in the wet. The Michelins might edge them in the dry though. Strange as its not something most say but tyres are so hard to judge.

Archived