8Th Gen Tail Tidy

budorat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like at kid at Christmas... I know it's coming and can hardly contain my excitement!

Thanks for sharing to picture nomoresumo! How was the installation process?

6 hours ago, CDNBCN said:

Thanks for sharing to picture nomoresumo! How was the installation process?

You're welcome!

Installation was straight forward and supplied instructions were a nice touch. I used a Dremel (in lieu of heat) to carve out space for a small wrench to grip the metal nut used to secure the factory fender. I estimate it took an extra 30 minutes to remove it this way, but I didn't feel like heading out to buy a lighter to loosen the Loctite (or whatever Honda uses). Since the fender we are removing is one piece, you can easily differentiate it from the rest of the bike so I wasn't hesitant to cut into it. It worked for me, but buy a torch lighter in advance if you want to follow explicit instructions supplied by Cam. 

1 hour ago, nomoresumo said:

Installation was straight forward and supplied instructions were a nice touch. I used a Dremel (in lieu of heat) to carve out space for a small wrench to grip the metal nut used to secure the factory fender. I estimate it took an extra 30 minutes to remove it this way, but I didn't feel like heading out to buy a lighter to loosen the Loctite (or whatever Honda uses). Since the fender we are removing is one piece, you can easily differentiate it from the rest of the bike so I wasn't hesitant to cut into it. It worked for me, but buy a torch lighter in advance if you want to follow explicit instructions supplied by Cam. 

It's worth noting that not all bikes have had the loctite applied. Based on the feedback I've received, it seems like about 1 in 7 or 8 bikes have it, the rest are just tool-tight. (Tight's tight.. what's too tight again? ;-) ).  I would carefully check your bike first, see whether the locking nut appears to be resisting, and then decide how best to proceed. An online copy of the installation guide can be found here:

As of today (June 20), there are 14 tail tidies from Production Run #3 still up for grabs. If you want to snap one up for AUD $75 plus postage, let me know via email ASAP (nz.cam@hotmail.com). Meanwhile, check out Grum's sexy-looking ride with its' new tidy, and IXIL pipe.

iMOxv6c.jpg

eEqV7Yk.jpg

Cheers - Cam

• Member Contributer

As per the photos above! Cam has done a great job on the build quality and instructions for the kit. It's a neat, nice addition to your VFR. Great job Cam.

Many thanks Grum.

• Member Contributer

I finally got mine today - woohoo!   However, my heart sank when I realized the package had been damaged in transit!  It was placed in this bag by the US Postal service apologizing for the damage - fuuuuuuuck nooooooooo!!!!   Cam's bag had a big rip in it but fortunately the tidy was still safe and secure in the bubble wrap within.  It appears to be unscathed - thank goodness!   I'll try to install it tonight and take some pics.  The quality is clearly top-notch, thanks Cam!

FullSizeRender.jpg

10 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

I finally got mine today - woohoo!   However, my heart sank when I realized the package had been damaged in transit!  It was placed in this bag by the US Postal service apologizing for the damage - fuuuuuuuck nooooooooo!!!!   Cam's bag had a big rip in it but fortunately the tidy was still safe and secure in the bubble wrap within.  It appears to be unscathed - thank goodness!   I'll try to install it tonight and take some pics.  The quality is clearly top-notch, thanks Cam!

Thanks for sharing your experience Greg, and for the feedback. To everyone who's tail-tidy was posted in the week starting June 12th (and whom I've not heard back from), I've sent out an email to check whether yours arrived safely or not. Please check your email and get back to me;- Your satisfaction is important!

• Member Contributer

Just got it installed - looks fantastic!  It's dark now so I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.  One unexpected benefit is the weight savings.  By adding the tail tidy I shaved just over 9/10 of a pound of dead weight!  I figured it would save a tiny bit of weight but not almost an entire pound.  Here are the precise measurements:

The old fender that was removed weighed 492.4 g (1.086 lb)

Cam's tail tidy weighs only 83.5 g (0.184 lb)

Total weight savings = 408.9 g (0.901 lb)

When weighing the old fender I did include the old rear reflector which is also removed and the nut which holds that reflector on.  Also, I did not include the 2 sets of screws and washers that held the old fender on in either measurement since they are also used to hold the new tail tidy on.

• Member Contributer

Here's a vid and some pics of my tail tidy.  No need to make fun of my chicken strips - I've already been told I ride like a pussy about a million times :tongue:

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I wonder if they'd fit the 800X? The back end looks the same.

On 03/07/2017 at 10:33 PM, Skids said:

I wonder if they'd fit the 800X? The back end looks the same.

Possible. If you're able to take some pictures of the 800X's fender from all angles, and measure the inside-width of the fitting (the plastic that the fender fits into, should be 86mm), then I could give you an informed guess.

• Member Contributer
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, NZCam said:

Possible. If you're able to take some pictures of the 800X's fender from all angles, and measure the inside-width of the fitting (the plastic that the fender fits into, should be 86mm), then I could give you an informed guess.

Actually, they don't look the same. I'll get some pics soon. Not sure which plastic tab you mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Some boring statistics... it was a slow Monday.

There are still 9 tail-tidies available from the final ever production run. Across all three runs, here is the breakdown of units sent by country.

USA: 37

Australia: 18

Canada: 11

England: 6

France: 2
Sweden: 2

Italy: 1

New Zealand: 1

Norway: 1

Scotland: 1

Taiwan: 1

Wales: 1

7 hours ago, NZCam said:

Some boring statistics... it was a slow Monday.

There are still 9 tail-tidies available from the final ever production run. Across all three runs, here is the breakdown of units sent by country.

USA: 37

Australia: 18

Canada: 11

England: 6

France: 2
Sweden: 2

Italy: 1

New Zealand: 1

Norway: 1

Scotland: 1

Taiwan: 1

Wales: 1

Come on Canada, you can do it!  Thanks again NZCam, my tail looks great!

3 hours ago, Tews19 said:

You have 9 left? How much shipped to 53119 in Wisconsin, that is 1.?

The current production run units are AUD $75 each for forum members, and shipping to the US & Canada is AUD $15.85. There are now seven tidies left;- I shipped two to California this morning.

17 hours ago, NZCam said:

The current production run units are AUD $75 each for forum members, and shipping to the US & Canada is AUD $15.85. There are now seven tidies left;- I shipped two to California this morning.

Bloody hell! It would cost you more than that to ship to me in Canberra, wouldn't it?

Hopefuly you've still got some left when/if I pull the trigger on a VFR soon.

1 hour ago, SithLord said:

Bloody hell! It would cost you more than that to ship to me in Canberra, wouldn't it?

Hopefuly you've still got some left when/if I pull the trigger on a VFR soon.

Domestic Parcel-Post to anywhere in Australia is only $8.45. Do you want to reserve one now before they sell out? There's been a rush of interest this week, with 2 sent to Canada, 3 to the US, and 1 to Norway.

Thanks, but I'll leave it for now. The minister of finances (wife) hasn't told me what my budget is yet, so not sure when/what/how I'll be getting.

I might have missed it earlier, but can I ask why you're stopping making them?

57 minutes ago, SithLord said:

I might have missed it earlier, but can I ask why you're stopping making them?

My "day" job is in infrastructure software deployment & project management, and is taking up more and more of my time, never mind having any family time, or side projects. On top of that, my powder-coat contact has retired, so I can't get them professionally finished at mates-rates any more. The minimum commit-to-buy order size would likely jump from 12 to 20 before a 4th production run became viable.

On 9/26/2014 at 7:19 PM, budorat said:

Has anyone found a fender eliminator / tail tidy for the 8th gen yet ? I have been search online for a little while now with no success. I am interested in what other 8th gen owners may have found.

20170806_195051.jpg

20170806_195009.jpg

20170806_194939.jpg

20170806_194904.jpg

20170806_194840.jpg

Archived