Loose Feeling In The Rear

marriedman

I was out getting acclimated to my 1200 last night. Not being too aggressive, but more than I was on the test rides and highways. In the tighter turns, I felt this odd looseness in the back end. I can recreate it easily, but I cannot diagnose it.

I cannot tell if the rear end is slipping, wallowing, or loosing traction. The tire is brand new and manufactured in 2013. Tire pressure is 40 lbs cuz I am big. It's a Dunlop and I have never ridden on those before. Always had Pilot Road 2's. Tires should have been warm, 20 minutes on a highway to get to the curves.

How do I start to diagnose this? Do I take off all preload and test it? Lower tire pressure? Is it in my head and this is how a drive shaft feels? (I kind of doubt this one) Any tips appreciated guys.

• Member Contributer

Stand behind it and leave the side stand down . Then level the bike out and push down(passenger handles)and then let it return to normal position and see if there any resistance going downward and then see if the rebound is about the same as the damping. Since you just bought it you need set your sag also. Your preload is probably wrong .

Here are the factory setting .

Front preload front rebound damping damping rear preload rear rebound damping

VFR1200F('10) 9mm of adjuster 5 clicks out 13 clicks in . .75 turns out

Showing from full soft

The smart arse answer would be eat less curry - then your rear end would not be so loose :)

But in all seriousness - set the pressure to the standard pressure - it's the same single or two up riding - I am a heavy guy too and I have no issues - then set rear shock setting to the standard in the manual and then 5 clicks more on preload and 2 clicks more on rebound

Then give that a go

Which rear tyre? Roadsmart or roadsmart 2? Or something else?

• Member Contributer

Maybe not factory but these are suggested setting .

Stand behind it and leave the side stand down . Then level the bike out and push down(passenger handles)and then let it return to normal position and see if there any resistance going downward and then see if the rebound is about the same as the damping. Since you just bought it you need set your sag also. Your preload is probably wrong .

Here are the factory setting .

Front preload front rebound damping damping rear preload rear rebound damping

VFR1200F('10) 9mm of adjuster 5 clicks out 13 clicks in . .75 turns out

Showing from full soft

Sportrider.com

My '12 owner's manuel says 36/42 psi and I've noticed that the tires are sensitive to pressure. I've taken to run 45 in the stock Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart tires and that looose feeling isn't there. I use the above suspension.

Ah, all excellent information. Thanks all! I will do that tonight. Might be able to get out and right tomorrow afternoon on a nice curvy road and just run up and down it while dialing in theses things. All I should need is an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver, correct?

Im 110kg fully gear'd and tall also. Have had a rear slipped sideways when leaning on 180' curve, just a bit tho - nothing dramatic.

Happened to me only when riding solo and at low speeds. Brand new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II tyres fitted. Have tried many

diffrent setting with suspension.

IMHO its a problem related to touring tyres and half touring motorcycle. You cant lean it as you would lean the sport liter bike.

The rear schock is not designed to do so(poor rebound damping, lack of compression damping).

Swap it to Wilbers or Ohlins - problem solved...expensive solution tho.

Or...just ride it faster LOL

• Member Contributer

If you are running a Roadsmart 2 on the rear, that is the main reason why you have a loose feeling on the rear of the VFR1200, the Roadsmart 2 is not K rated, it as a softer side wall, which is why you have this loose feeling on the rear. The Roadsmart 2 is not listed for the VFR1200. With the correct tyre listed for your VFR1200, You should run tyre pressure as the manual at 42lbs. Set the standard rear shock, at 15 clicks from fully soft and .5 of a turn anti clockwise from fully in on the Rebound.

I have Roadsmart 2 on the front as well. I dont care what manual says about the tyre brand - it was never any concern of mine

while maintaining the motorcycles. Also RS2 is not on the list cuz it was not realased yet while VFR1200 had its premiere.

Have had the stock Bridgestone before(worn after 5k km's), Also tried the various rear schock settings and tyre pressure.

Nevertheless no improvment at all.

What do You mean by K rating?

• Member Contributer

First of all, tyres are listed for a reason, Dunlop, like any other tyre manufacturer have different tyre wall ratings, as well as speed ratings. But to answer your question, the K rating on the wall of the Dunlop tyre, is the tyre wall rating, it is a lot stiffer tyre wall, than the Roadsmart 2.

• Member Contributer

There's a bit on tire wall load here (even has a VFR1200 in it)

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/MIC_Tire_Guide_2012V1.pdf

How soft or stiff the sidewall is depends on the tire and their design. The sidewall will effect how the tire deforms when riding and leaned over. The sidewall carries a lot of the weight. If it is too soft for a bike, it won't hold the proper shape. Increasing air pressure isn't a quick-fix either. Too hard, and it won't flex as it should. The heavier the bike, the stiffer the sidewall should be.

• Member Contributer

For what it is worth , have had nothing but p2/3 s on until this year, switched to Dunlops for T-Mac and experienced the same sensation. Can not complain about the grip at all, but defiantly has a softer feel in the corners.

First of all, tyres are listed for a reason, Dunlop, like any other tyre manufacturer have different tyre wall ratings, as well as speed ratings. But to answer your question, the K rating on the wall of the Dunlop tyre, is the tyre wall rating, it is a lot stiffer tyre wall, than the Roadsmart 2.

Yup, the reason called advertisement...

Which marking do You mean mate?

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_euen/mc/tyres/sidewall_markings.jsp

Im asking cuz I only know standard ratings like 58W andI have no idea what are You talking about.

Source pls?

Archived