That Moment When All The Hard Word Finally Pays Off. Rapid Bike Racing Now Available!

CandyRedRC46

The Rapid Bike Racing Kit is now in production and available for all VFR800 VTEC models. Confirmation of 5th and 8th gen use will be made later on. The Rapid Bike Racing features self mapping through the factory O2 sensors. It has full ignition advancing control, Advanced 18 way adjustable Quick shifter control, Engine braking adjustment and RPM limiter extension of 1000 RPMs if requested.

http://rapidbike.us/t/categories/honda

post-17122-0-91775100-1411664609.jpg

• 1 month later...

Coupla questions.

1. The factory O2 sensors are narrow band, does that limit us to the factory AFR target? Which is pretty durn lean...

2. Tell me more about the engine braking adjustment; in another thread you said it could deal with the overrun cutoff, which IMO is the biggest problem with low-range throttle response, at least on my bike

This sounds exciting, I cancelled my order for PCV to look into this

ETA:

So far I've found out the factory 02 sensors seem to work fine, takes longer (200km) to get a good tune but it seems to work.

For those looking into this, check out the Ducati forums. Ducatis suffer from the same down-low fueling issues we do, exacerbated by really tall gearing, both in service of EPA regs; and likewise are very aggravating to drive in city traffic. Panigale drivers who have installed this solution seem happy with it. That's a bike that costs more than my car.

Current price for Rapid Bike Evo (no ignition mapping) is $515, approximately the same as PCV with autotune, without the ability to simulate "map by gear" for pre-06 bikes. It's not clear that it allows custom cell-by-cell AFR targets, but it seems like it might be less "fiddly" ie might work best if you just plug it in and go. Hard to tell.

Okay number one yes you are correct, the factory o2 sensors are narrow band, but they do not limit the air fuel ratio target, it just takes a little longer to target. There is the option to run 1, 2 or 4 wideband o2 sensors, this is not necessary, but it does speed up the targeting process. I am running 4 wideband o2 sensors right now and it is truly amazing how smooth and responsive the bike performs.

Number two, the engine braking feature. This feature has a range of +99% -99% fuel trim, with +99% being almost stock and -99% the most fuel added to decrease the engine braking effect and smooth the on off throttle transition. You can set the minimum rpm activation point or leave it blank and the rapid bike will sense when the fuel cut ends on the over run and it will stop adding extra fuel. I have mine set to -99% and the rpm window blank. There are no flames or backfires or anything dramatic but the engine braking is reduced and the on off throttle transition is greatly improved.

Here are my four maps which have been auto tuned, One for each cylinder.

533433b0832d562a498fb0fa8aec313b.jpg

7fb5e73072c8272a93822160f262cefd.jpg

943f4f41ba9d27dc377e8ad5c9211309.jpg

707779ad8edf8e4a507e54f7a49af40e.jpg

• Member Contributer

Been doing more work on my 5th Gen, with standard 95RON fuel it really only likes a maximum of 2degrees advance, I tried 2.5 & every now & again under different load different gear etc it has a detonation. Wound it back to 1.5, no issues anywhere, so have upped it to 2 & ridden it no problemo. So I'll continue to let the fuelling sort itself out & keep an eye on this.

Next tank of fuel will be 98RON & I'm rigging up a map switch so I can run that up, then swap on demand, depending on what's available at the pump, lots of garages don't do 98 here anymore ! :(

Once I'm happy & have had the bike dyno checked, I'll publish my tables.

The rapid bike mapping was made with 98 RON. 95 RON is pushing it for making timing adjustments. I want to say that would be the equivalent of our US 90 octane. That sucks its that hard to get a hold of 98 over there.

• Member Contributer

Oh 98RON is available, but not at every station, hence the reason I'm trying to map both fuel & ignition on 95. Next tank of fuel will be 98 & I will save 95 map then rework a 98 map once that's done, I will add both to the dual map, so I can switch from one to the other as required !

Seems to be a problem cell around 5400rpm & 20% throttle where the system wants to add a stupid amount of fuel. If I accept other corrections I have to keep trimming that one down manually. It was at 38 when all other cells around in were in low 20's !

The other thing I did yesterday was turn on the engine braking control, wow what a difference that makes to the on off throttle response!

I left mine on 0% which is 50/50 or in the middle of the deceleration control range -99-0+99%.

For anyone interested, the connectors for the map switch & quicker shifter are AMP Superseal 1.5. I've bought a set from the bay to allow me to add the switch of my choice, which just needs to be a latching switch. Switch off = Map1, switch on = Map2.

For the quick shift, the RB Racing uses a 3 wire connector, the left pin as you look in with the separation wall is +12v supply for external powered quick shifter like their rebadged Cordona unit, the middle pin is a common ground. The right pin is the QS detection pin, this puts out +4.4v, to effect QS, just bridge this to the common earth. You can thus use any QS you like that provides a 2 wire switching function ;)

Oh and I spent ages trying to figure out how you got those fuel map screens, but worked it out :)

Happy modding.

Archived