2015 Crossrunner . . . Not Bad

choco

• Member Contributer
 Now with more power, improved suspension and new adventure styling.
Published on 09.10.2014
2015_Honda_VFR800X_Crossrunner2-561x374.
The 2015 Honda VFR800X Crossrunner gets more power, increased suspension travel, improved styling and more standard equipment.

Honda Motorcycles of Europe announced a new 2015 VFR800X Crossrunner today. The Crossrunner, available in the European market, offers an Adventure Touring riding position, along with a wide-handlebar and longer travel suspension.

The 2015 VFR800X Crossrunner boasts a host of improvements, which are the first major changes to the bike since it went on sale in 2011. Revisions include more power from the 800cc V4 engine, increased suspension travel and new sharper adventure styling. Full LED lighting (headlight, taillight and turn signals) provides a more modern appearance.

The chassis of the new Crossrunner has been updated with an additional 1.1 inch (28mm) of suspension travel in the rear and 1.0 inch (25mm) in the front. The VFR800X sits on new 17-inch cast aluminium wheels fitted with dual 310mm discs and radial-mount four-piston calipers in the front. The aluminium twin-beam frame features a lighter, revised subframe and new aluminium swingarm. Tires are sport-oriented size 120 front and 180 rear for optimal on-road performance.

The VFR800X Crossrunner now gets HSTC (Honda Selectable Torque Control), which offers two levels of traction control and can also be turned off. HSTC, ABS, LED lights, self-cancelling indicators and heated grips are all offered as standard equipment. The new VFR800X offers adjustable seat height, with two height options to accommodate riders of different sizes.

At the heart of the machine remains its VTEC-equipped 90° V4 DOHC 16-valve engine, originally adapted from the VFR800 Sport Tourer. The VFR800X Crossrunner now offers increased low and mid-range torque. Peak power has increased from 100 hp (75kW) @ 10,000 rpm to 105 (78kW) @ 10,250 rpm.

The improved power, increased suspension travel and additional standard equipment should make the Crossrunner a more competitive option in the middle-weight adventure touring category. No announcements have been made on pricing, but the 2015 VFR800X Crossrunner is expected to be on display at theIntermot show in Cologne, Germany this October.

No it still has VTEC. Good right ?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-honda-vfr800x-crossrunner-update/#more-69803

More HP than the Interceptor? Looks pretty good to me. Alas, not being imported to the States.

Originally it was slightly detuned for less horse power but better low to mid. you can go back and look at Hondas ratings from 2002 - 2006, and horse number claimed was normally 103 to 106 horse on the vtec sport tourer depending on the year model. Sounds like the crosser runner is close to the output previously stated or no new top horse power, just differently placed.

with out a doubt its a vtec

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Yamaha is going to have the FJ09 for '15, so it would make sense for Honda to import this bike. If the engine and drive train are the same as the VFR, certification would be easy as well.

It will be nice to have some choices. I love the upright ADV bike riding position on a bike with street tires. Tons of fun on the backroads and twisties.

Rob

• Member Contributer

I have an 03 VFR which is exciting and an NC700X which is upright and comfortable. I wonder if one motor would fit in the other's frame? Would require a real gas tank and not the frunk...

If this comes to North America I'd sell my 2005 VFR and buy one. This is an excellent tourer and just enough gravel to justify its adventure status. I'm sold. If it's not coming to NA, I'm buying a used Varadero XL1000V.

Better look in the video from Portugal.

http://youtu.be/iBSRvwTnwYQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Good to see more choices in sport tour adv bike... disappointing to see no usd forks, really Honda why not?. better midrange power would be a must to compete with the others not sure how they are going to achieve that with same engine. New FJ- 09 would have to be a real consideration if it has the same triple as fz claimed 115 hp lots of low end grunt

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-yamaha-fj-09-leakpocalypse/

I like the looks of Honda a little better, but that triple might be hard to beat for adv bike. Might have to trade my triumph 800

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

If you prefer the trailie-style adventure bike and USD forks and they don't import the Crossrunner, what's wrong with the VFR1200X Crosstourer? I can confirm that the screen works very well up to 120mph (on closed roads) and the engine is an absolute stonker (that's means very good)!

2015-VFR1200X-Crosstourer1.jpg

• 6 months later...

I've driven the crossunner, Was a little getting used to since the handlebars flex a little more than on the "street" version.

The seat in my opinion needs the same treatment as the 1200F got with its update, I kinda skid around a little to easy on it.

Full beam is a bit short.

Happily surprised with the wind deflection with the standard windscreen upp to about 85 mph

Archived