Hard Rear Brake Pedal? Doesn't Stop Well. (I've Bleed The Crap Out Of It)

AaronB

• Member Contributer

It feels like I have to push WAY too hard to get hard braking on my rear pedal. My other 2007 is the same way. I've bleed them by the book and the front brakes are awesome. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm thinking of changing brake pads (they look brand new). Just want more rear brake with less pedal pressure. Ideas?

Mine was the same when I first got it, turned out the rear caliper was seized or some part of the brake system atleast. See if the rear wheel spins freely after pushing hard on the rear brake and letting go :)

• Member Contributer

Mine was the same when I first got it, turned out the rear caliper was seized or some part of the brake system atleast. See if the rear wheel spins freely after pushing hard on the rear brake and letting go :)

+1

It feels like I have to push WAY too hard to get hard braking on my rear pedal. My other 2007 is the same way. I've bleed them by the book and the front brakes are awesome. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm thinking of changing brake pads (they look brand new). Just want more rear brake with less pedal pressure. Ideas?

If both your bikes behave the same have you considered that they may well be operating the way Honda intended & your expectation of what constitutes hard rear wheel braking is off the mark? What other bikes have you compared to your two VFR's in terms of rear brake effectiveness?

• Member Contributer

I was never impressed with the rear wheel braking of my '99 until I put the EBC HH pads on it. Really made a world of difference. Of course now I think it might be a bit too strong. Go figure.

• Member Contributer

I know the hydraulics are good. I'll try a better pad. I've owned at least a dozen motorcycles and 3 with linked brakes, but these just don't feel right. Both bikes have the original factory pads on them.

I know the hydraulics are good. I'll try a better pad. I've owned at least a dozen motorcycles and 3 with linked brakes, but these just don't feel right. Both bikes have the original factory pads on them.

Nope rear brakes are very adequate, Ive actually lowered them(the peddle) to where its harder to activate them. I use them all the time, but more for rear end control rather then strong braking.

I don't know why you'd want a really strong rear brake on a front wheel biased sport bike, to easy to lock up via weight distribution, but Id say that you have more issue than pad, the stock pads are HH rated although the EBC HH have even more metal. So you would a expect to see a slight difference. Course with two bikes below expectation, the chances of having the same problem on both bikes would be unlikely, so maybe you have too high of expectation.

Keep in mind the 6th gen linking was actually lessened to reduce the linking effect over say the 5th gen, for better sport braking use.

I've bought used bikes with chain lube overspray on the rotor that was transmitted to the pads, rendering them useless. Consider a pad change to fresh stock pads, but even with clean calipers, clean pads, fresh fluid and no air, my '98's rear brake is not great, not much feel, and wouldn't lock up if I wanted it to. Perhaps that's as intended. It seems to work well with the fronts applied.

• Member Contributer

That's exactly how mine was before the SS lines and HH pads. I didn't want a lot of stopping power, but I could just about stand on it and not do much of anything.

• Member Contributer

Maybe it's time to spend a little more time on preventative maintenance. Don't know why you wanna be able to lock up your rear brake anyway!

Well...try EBC pads. They've been good for me. Also check that the rear caliper is truly clean and functioning fully. Mine got all gunked up with brake dust at one point and rebuilding it fixed that.

Thinking about it, I don't get a ton of rear braking power off my 6th gen, but the linking definitely brings in the fronts (also EBC) when using the rear pedal, so not sure how much more I'd really want...just seems to flatten/smooth the stop nicely when I add it, all at a level I like.

Good luck

• Member Contributer

FJ that's the way it is..stand on it and won't lock up. My objective isn't to lock it, but it seems weak. I've ordered EBC pads. And Mac, trust me, I do plenty of PM. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived