I have a low mile '97 and just picked up some Hepco and Becker racks for it. The instructions are in German without any diagrams, but how hard could it be? I didn't think there would be much of a problem mounting the racks, but I was wrong! The bike is 100% stock, but it seems like the exhaust is too high since the right side rack interferes with it. I hope the photos make sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS - German instructions included for those that can read it

post-22107-0-49430400-1408994732.jpg

post-22107-0-04343600-1408994751.jpg

post-22107-0-39881400-1408994767.jpg

post-22107-0-43843100-1408994778.jpg

650158.0001-2.pdf

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a job for Dutchy. Maybe send him a PM with the manual. Based on your photos, this doesn't look like it is meant for this model bike.

• Member Contributer

Well, you got her naked, that HAS to be a good start! :goofy:

So let's focus on the right side, cos I think the left side is easy peasy...

Loosen the exhaust from the passenger peg assembly; you may want to support hanging the muffler with a bit of string to the subframe. That bazooka weighs 6 kilos...

The footpeg assembly is bolted to the sub-frame with two bolts, take them out.

as per the packlist, you should have 7 washers that have a 8.4mm hole; put 3 of these washers between subframe and footpeghanger (front bolt only)

The top "leg" of the pannier rack slides between the subframe and the footpeg hanger (the rear of the two bolts that attach the footpeghanger to the subframe).

Now for the trick with the exhaust! In removing the right passenger footpeg hanger, you had to take out the bolt that held the exhaust to the footpeg hanger. Leave it out for now. You proceed to loosen the the clamp that hold the exhaust to the collector box

HPIM5463-1.jpg

You should have a "strip" of metal with 2 M8 holes in it; the to allow the exhaust to hang a little lower. Use the shorter (20mm) M8 bolt to connect the exhaust to this strip, use the 55mm M8 bolts to connect the strip to the carrier.

You should now be able to bolt up the top part of the carrier to the rear bolt hole in the sub frame.

The left carrier is the same: remove passenger footpeg/saddle lock, grip assembly, place 3 washers between the peg hanger and the frame (front bolt only) and slide the carrier top arm of the rack between hanger and sub frame. Bolt up

This is it mainly.

Refit the rear bodywork, mount the topcase rack like you did in the first picture, mount the connecting rods as per the photograph in the pdf.

As for the connecting bit at the rear, you must mount it like it is in the picture, facing "inwards". once all is buttoned up and alligned, you can/should drill a 6mm hole in the fender and use a M6 to bolt the connecting bit to the fender

PS: do not worry about placing the washer, I had to do the same to make clearance for my Vtec pannier hardware and my Akrapovic hi-mount...

• Member Contributer

Dutchy is so right about getting her naked. I have several "rack helper" pics, but not sure they would help in the intended fashion. Good luck with the install!

Thanks to Dutchy I finally got these racks mounted up. Turned out I was missing the little hanger that supports the exhaust in the new lower position. I made one out of aluminum bar stock I had sitting around and after a little bit of "encouraging" the racks to fit on different bike, they mounted right up! Thanks to all and especially to Dutchy for proving the critical missing information!

• 9 months later...

Thanks for posting this...

[...]

Now for the trick with the exhaust! In removing the right passenger footpeg hanger, you had to take out the bolt that held the exhaust to the footpeg hanger. Leave it out for now. You proceed to loosen the the clamp that hold the exhaust to the collector box

[...]

You should have a "strip" of metal with 2 M8 holes in it; the to allow the exhaust to hang a little lower. Use the shorter (20mm) M8 bolt to connect the exhaust to this strip, use the 55mm M8 bolts to connect the strip to the carrier.

[...]

I bought a second-hand rack but the "strip" of metal was not used on the donor bike (it has a smaller than stock exhaust). Luckily the seller had some scrap metal and a drill.

post-30565-0-55754300-1433756021.png

:happy:

Archived