Vfr Gen 6 To Gen 8

AlanOon

How does the top speed compare? My 6th with 1 tooth down and 2 up in the rear gearing has hit a speedo indicated 170. Now I know with the gear change it should be off but I had a buddy on his gsxr1000 walk me at that speed and he said as he was along side me it was 170. So, I've hit 170 many times but it could be 10mph or so off. What does the 8th top out at? I've read 138mph in an article, that can't be??

I promise you, your 6th gen VFR has never been within 10 mph of a real-world 170. Not once.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the top speed compare? My 6th with 1 tooth down and 2 up in the rear gearing has hit a speedo indicated 170. Now I know with the gear change it should be off but I had a buddy on his gsxr1000 walk me at that speed and he said as he was along side me it was 170. So, I've hit 170 many times but it could be 10mph or so off. What does the 8th top out at? I've read 138mph in an article, that can't be??

I promise you, your 6th gen VFR has never been within 10 mph of a real-world 170. Not once.

What's terminal velocity if dropped from a great height? :goofy:

Still not 170, probably around 130 or so, depending on orientation.

EDIT: I used NASA's on line terminal velocity calculator and some back of the envelope math (as well as a guess at drag coefficient in various orientations). Depending on whether the bike is stable and oriented on a side, tumbling, or stable oriented along the long axis, speed will be between 120-160 MPH at MSL.

• Member Contributer

Well then my speedo is crazy off.

Has anyone done a real gps reading of top speed on either generation?

My 6th starts to really run out of steam at around 220 kph on the GPS. I have a giant top case and am otherwise stock but I think the top case really slows the bike down.

FWIW

• Member Contributer

As in my earlier post saw a gps reading of 134 mph with loads of revs left. I have posted somewhere else on here the revs but can't remember presently what they were.

for me the 2007 vfr was a sweet ride.that said i felt the base 8th gen was justified and money well spent because of the break i got on it .4100 in trade for a 2014 vfr base at 7995 otd. the 3900 difference and wear and tear i had in 7 years to me was worth it. the technologies in the electronic fixes,better ride,slimmer ,better fuel management ,along with weight reduction was overdue .mid range is smooth and better.i also the piece of mind of the extended warranty of 5 yrs again.we know the vfr is very complex for some,but not all.go with your gut,

post-34735-0-20552600-1455421271.jpg

for me the 2007 vfr was a sweet ride.that said i felt the base 8th gen was justified and money well spent because of the break i got on it .4100 in trade for a 2014 vfr base at 7995 otd. the 3900 difference and wear and tear i had in 7 years to me was worth it. the technologies in the electronic fixes,better ride,slimmer ,better fuel management ,along with weight reduction was overdue .mid range is smooth and better.i also the piece of mind of the extended warranty of 5 yrs again.we know the vfr is very complex for some,but not all.go with your gut,

Yeah the 8th is really calling me. If I did do it it would be for a base model like you and buy the center stand and a different can of course, but I'd have to get a good price on my 07 also. Your OTD price with extended warranty is very good.

MCN last year did a flat out run at 141 and did not move after that.it is on youtube ,but much more on tach yet.

MCN last year did a flat out run at 141 and did not move after that.it is on youtube ,but much more on tach yet.
That's about what I've been seeing. I'm really surprised that with my gear change my speedo is off about 30mph at top speed. I downloaded a GPS app, next time I'm out there I'll run it and see what I actually get.

• Member Contributer

Just wondered how many people opt for the extended warranty? I've beat the hell out of a fifth and sixth gen. and nothing broke. The dealer I bought my 8th gen. from nearly broke my arm off twisting it for an extended warranty. I didn't do it because I didn't see a need. I also don't respond well to high pressure sales. So who believes they're really needed?

You certainty don't need an extended warranty- until you do...

American Honda is pretty skinflint on the standard warranty, one year is well below par for the industry now.

In my mind the extended warranty may possibly have value, if you plan to flip the bike after a year or two, and for a private sale, therefore commanding a little more since it's still under warranty. Otherwise, the odds are against it being useful.

Just wondered how many people opt for the extended warranty? I've beat the hell out of a fifth and sixth gen. and nothing broke. The dealer I bought my 8th gen. from nearly broke my arm off twisting it for an extended warranty. I didn't do it because I didn't see a need. I also don't respond well to high pressure sales. So who believes they're really needed?

I went with the extended warranty. To me, it seemed like a no-brainer. The standard warranty is 1 year. The extended warranty adds 4 more years for a total of 5 years/unlimited miles for only $695.00. 5 years! for barely more than the price of a quick shifter, or a new can. Funny how some people have no problem dropping a few grand on some mods and maybe a little gear, but not on something that could save you a fortune down the road. Yes, there's a good chance with Honda reliability, that you'll never need it, but for me it's worth it just in case.

On a side note, I also purchased a 3 year maintenance plan through my dealer for a hefty $1700.00. It includes 1 new set of tires, 1 new battery, and every scheduled service for 3 years/unlimited miles. In 15 months and 12k miles, it's almost paid for itself already! (I ride at least 10k miles a year)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Guys, I really in need your personal opinion whether should i trade my 2009 VFR800 ABS for a brand Gen 8?

I am sitting on the fence whether to take the plunge when my current bike still serving me well. Does the new Gen 8 really worth the extra cash when both gen are using the same engine and frame. Beside TC and quickshifter as option,i don't see drastic difference between both bikes on the road.

If I had an '09, no, I wouldn't trade. I've owned both 5th and 6th gens. with no complaints from either. That said, my new 8th gen. sure does ride and run smoother. Maybe it's because I dropped a lot of coins on it and it has to run better........

Wait, you already have an 8th gen? Or you rode one?

Personally, if the 6th gen you have doesn't have all the deluxe model features (thinking suspension adjustments as a biggie) then yes, by all means. The bike is a lot smoother all around, and the narrowness makes it seem a lot smaller than it is compared to its predecessor. I personally like the looks a lot more, and the headlights are AMAZING! Probably the first big thing I noticed aside from the more gradual VTEC cutover was the headlight performance.

There are some great deals to be had if you're ok traveling to get one! Found mine at around 5k under MSRP. Just gotta look around.

• Member Contributer

Wait, you already have an 8th gen? Or you rode one?

Personally, if the 6th gen you have doesn't have all the deluxe model features (thinking suspension adjustments as a biggie) then yes, by all means. The bike is a lot smoother all around, and the narrowness makes it seem a lot smaller than it is compared to its predecessor. I personally like the looks a lot more, and the headlights are AMAZING! Probably the first big thing I noticed aside from the more gradual VTEC cutover was the headlight performance.

There are some great deals to be had if you're ok traveling to get one! Found mine at around 5k under MSRP. Just gotta look around.

I own and ride an eighth gen.

I like my 8th gen. a lot. I never thought the VFR needed to be a liter bike. Very few people can use all the hp in a VFR anyway. Go to the Smoky Mtns. if humbling is needed... :goofy:

I went with the extended warranty. To me, it seemed like a no-brainer. The standard warranty is 1 year. The extended warranty adds 4 more years for a total of 5 years/unlimited miles for only $695.00. 5 years! for barely more than the price of a quick shifter, or a new can. Funny how some people have no problem dropping a few grand on some mods and maybe a little gear, but not on something that could save you a fortune down the road. Yes, there's a good chance with Honda reliability, that you'll never need it, but for me it's worth it just in case.

On a side note, I also purchased a 3 year maintenance plan through my dealer for a hefty $1700.00. It includes 1 new set of tires, 1 new battery, and every scheduled service for 3 years/unlimited miles. In 15 months and 12k miles, it's almost paid for itself already! (I ride at least 10k miles a year)

The dealers love you. :wub:

If it works for you, cool.

For me, my $2 is it's likely a waste. Especially for a Honda. :warranty:

For the MIL extended warranty came in handy. On that used Caddy that came up needing a head gasket.

Nice old lady car though. So, it depends, like most things. :smile2:

It seems that Honda extended warranties are available from vendors other than dealers. I found a link on a VFR board (perhaps this one) to Cycle Parts Nation who offer a four-year EW for the VFR800 (actually any bike in the 501-1,300cc range) for $495 (www.cyclepartsnation.com/hondawarrantyprograms). Note that the table is titled "Honda Extended Service," but elsewhere on the page they do talk of "extended warranty." If you buy one it has to be before the original warranty has expired. I'm not recommending CPN as I've never dealt with them, but less than $500 for four years does seem like a good deal.

I bought a new VFR800 Deluxe yesterday from a dealer, and the subject of EWs was never raised by my salesman, but I want one. I'm going to be surveying the market for EWs to see if the CPN price can be bettered, and I will report my findings here.

It seems that Honda extended warranties are available from vendors other than dealers. I found a link on a VFR board (perhaps this one) to Cycle Parts Nation who offer a four-year EW for the VFR800 (actually any bike in the 501-1,300cc range) for $495 (www.cyclepartsnation.com/hondawarrantyprograms). Note that the table is titled "Honda Extended Service," but elsewhere on the page they do talk of "extended warranty." If you buy one it has to be before the original warranty has expired. I'm not recommending CPN as I've never dealt with them, but less than $500 for four years does seem like a good deal.

I bought a new VFR800 Deluxe yesterday from a dealer, and the subject of EWs was never raised by my salesman, but I want one. I'm going to be surveying the market for EWs to see if the CPN price can be bettered, and I will report my findings here.

How did you do on your Delux, good deal? What year and color?

2014, red, $8,999 for the bike, extra for the quickshifter, rear tire hugger, labor (one hour) to install both, taxes, fees, and so on. At $4,500 or so under list, I thought it was a good deal. If it wasn't, under no circumstances are you to let me know.

Have to wait a few days for the parts to come in and be installed, and then I will schedule the pickup; me with a helmet if the weather is good, me with a trailer if it isn't.

• Member Contributer

2014, red, $8,999 for the bike, extra for the quickshifter, rear tire hugger, labor (one hour) to install both, taxes, fees, and so on. At $4,500 or so under list, I thought it was a good deal. If it wasn't, under no circumstances are you to let me know.

Have to wait a few days for the parts to come in and be installed, and then I will schedule the pickup; me with a helmet if the weather is good, me with a trailer if it isn't.

I was wondering if you purchased your bike from Pete's cycle in MD. If so, do you mind sharing your thoughts on the experience? Thx

I was wondering if you purchased your bike from Pete's cycle in MD. If so, do you mind sharing your thoughts on the experience? Thx

No, I bought it at Track N Trail in State College, PA. Very easy to deal with. They still have both white and red Deluxe models listed on Cycletrader for $8,999 (alongside identical ones offered by other vendors at $13,499).

Archived