R/r Flip Plate Mount For The Fh020Aa Shindengen R/r

mello dude

Question

• Member Contributer

On a recent 6th gen R/R job, I made this R/R flip plate to mount the FH020aa R/R. Went together pretty clean. On this one, its a hacksaw production, but if I made a batch, I would go to my Laser guy. Its looking like mostly a 6th gen part, would work with 5th with some spacers or drilling a couple holes, and maybe 4th gen. (Its been quite awhile since I looked at a 4th gen.) Its a good heat sink too.

I'm tempted to do CNC a laser batch, but was wondering ---- anybody have interest in this? I'm not sure if this is a white elephant.

Thanks all.

RRMountingPlate01.jpg

RRMountingPlate02.jpg

RRMountingPlate04.jpg

RRMountingPlate05.jpg

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Hey --- Bumping the BUmp it bum it bump... :tongue:

Made a new batch of Flip Plates for the FH020AA R/R -- direct bolt up for going from the stocker R/R to the Roadster Cycle  R/R

Also - made a few plates to fit the SH847..... Need a few testers... first pieces. Dunno if I will make any more. 

This is targeted to be a 6th gen product, although I did use one as a heat sink on my 5th gen.... .

PM please... 

:beer:

I might need to upgrade to the sh847 soon. For one reason or another, after 5 years or so, my FH020 seems to be heating up. If I get stuck in traffic for a while, the rr starts getting really hot and eventually will cut out and my voltage plummets. I'm gonna have to figure this out eventually.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I might need to upgrade to the sh847 soon. For one reason or another, after 5 years or so, my FH020 seems to be heating up. If I get stuck in traffic for a while, the rr starts getting really hot and eventually will cut out and my voltage plummets. I'm gonna have to figure this out eventually.

A tryout Flip plate is yours for the asking.. :cool:

- What kind of miles do you have on the FH020?

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

I think about 30,000 miles.

That would be great :)

-- Maybe a stator leg is going out? - My 5th is doing the same, but I have a brand new FH020.  Voltage drop when over 212ish, recovers once moving and back under 202ish...... Mine, I smell a stator leg eventually fully eating it... 

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, mello dude said:

-- Maybe a stator leg is going out? - My 5th is doing the same, but I have a brand new FH020.  Voltage drop when over 212ish, recovers once moving and back under 202ish...... Mine, I smell a stator leg eventually fully eating it... 

Say it ain't so M D!

• Member Contributer

Mello,

I used "the drill" recently, thank you, and found the commonly burnt white connector.

My voltage is within spec but drops slightly as the RPM increases is that normal?

Thx

• Member Contributer
On 10/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, gig said:

Mello,

I used "the drill" recently, thank you, and found the commonly burnt white connector.

My voltage is within spec but drops slightly as the RPM increases is that normal?

Thx

Hi - waht kind of numbers are we talking about? If you have an OEM R/R on a '99, over time the voltage will "wear" down to low 13s on revs and even into the 12s, at which point it will leave you stranded. A lot of us have found out the hard way.. .. Most guys will replace with an aftermarket and plenty of us will point to the --- www.roadstercycle.com  page for replacements. 

Then also, having a small voltmeter on the dash area, could save you in advance of that.... There's a thread on voltmeter mounting thats very good. 

--- Really --- If you did the drill, we need the all the test numbers to put the whole picture of the charging system going on.. R/R and stator. 

15 hours ago, mello dude said:

Yup that is how mine is behaving, but the part that throws me off is the rr getting really hot. Keep in mind, I have my rr mounted to the back side of the passenger footpeg in open air. It shouldn't be getting that hot. Is that another symptom of a failed stator leg? 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

Yup that is how mine is behaving, but the part that throws me off is the rr getting really hot. Keep in mind, I have my rr mounted to the back side of the passenger footpeg in open air. It shouldn't be getting that hot. Is that another symptom of a failed stator leg? 

Cant really say or not if that is a failed leg symptom.. but I think its best to do a stator while hot test... hot enuff just before the fan kicks in.  You need to figure out - good/bad stator first. IF bad, a new R/R wont be a fix... 

Yeah I am going to have to do that. Let it run until it gets hot and the voltage drops. Then disconnect the rr and then test each phase of the stator, to see if its an rr issue or a stator issue.

• Member Contributer
On 10/17/2017 at 10:45 PM, mello dude said:

Hi - waht kind of numbers are we talking about? If you have an OEM R/R on a '99, over time the voltage will "wear" down to low 13s on revs and even into the 12s, at which point it will leave you stranded. A lot of us have found out the hard way.. .. Most guys will replace with an aftermarket and plenty of use will point to the --- www.roadstercycle.com  page for replacements. 

Then also, having a small voltmeter on the dash area, could save you in advance of that.... There's a thread on voltmeter mounting thats very good. 

--- Really --- If you did the drill, we need the all the test numbers to put the whole picture of the charging system going on.. R/R and stator. 

12.8 off

13.8 @ approx 2,000 rpm

13.5 @ approx 3,000 + rpm 

repleaced R/R at 35,000 curntly 54,000 with OEM, which had larger fins and alum plate included 

Archived