Hesitation, Stumbling, And Occasional Surging - What Are We Missing?

Laney

• Member Contributer

I have the same issue down in low RPMs on a 2004 that doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it. Going to do the flapper, pair and snorkel mod as seen here tomorrow.

Please search VFRD for info on doing a full PAIR removal - the instructions you linked to leave the reed valves installed which will eventually leak and lead to more problems. The right way is to remove the reed valve etc. and use PAIR blanking plates.

• Member Contributer

I have the same issue down in low RPMs on a 2004 that doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it. Going to do the flapper, pair and snorkel mod as seen here tomorrow.

Please search VFRD for info on doing a full PAIR removal - the instructions you linked to leave the reed valves installed which will eventually leak and lead to more problems. The right way is to remove the reed valve etc. and use PAIR blanking plates.

Mello Dude is a member here and he has PAIR block off plates offered for sale...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78878-pair-valve-plates-for-5th-6th-gens/

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Update!!!

The Raven is well again :laugh:

It's been a few weeks (maybe more, since time flies when you've got too much to do --), and he's settled in and running like I remember my other two 6th gens. It turns out that the wax motor (the thing you're not supposed to adjust :blink: ) wasn't set to speed up the idle when it was cold. The idle when cold was in the 700 - 800 range. When we previously synced the starter valves, it was with the wax motor set well below where it should be, which apparently made the throttle response really, really awful. I'm pretty sure it came from the factory with the setting too low, the bike only had 5,000 miles on it when we brought it home, and I don't think the previous owner was much into wrenching.

We got everything apart in the evening, and on a cool morning set the wax motor so the cold engine idled in the normal range, and resynced the starter valves again. Then adjusted the warm running idle to the right range, and the running improved greatly. It was probably really great right away, but I had adjusted to the poor running, and needed to relearn how to handle the throttle on a VFR that ran well.

Now that I've had a bunch of practice, it runs great, and the mileage is up to 42 mpg. :fing02:

Archived