Communication / Media Player For Helmets Advice

DavidEW

I've been using a bluetooth helmet for awhile (O'neal, Monaco Lazer) and there too much wind/road noise. I listen to music solo and 2 up want to talk to my wife. Looking for the best option. I tried a touring windscreen for my VFR but not only did it look silly but it seemed to direct the air into a worse area than the stock one.

I don't think in-helmet speakers no matter how good the helmet will work better than in-ear music earplugs. Thinking of getting custom earplugs made for my ears that are made for music playback and then buying a Sena (or whatever is recommended) bluetooth setup, cutting the speaker wires and soldering it to the earplugs. Something like that. Or is there something like that already out there? Anyone have this type of setup?
If possible I'd like to avoid spending $1500 on a helmet/bluetooth system like most people.
Thanks-

• Member Contributer

Sena gets my vote. I don't like the in the ear earplugs, but they are available for that unit. I have the SMH-10, but have never tried the 10R which is more geared toward sport riding.

I rode through 13 states/provinces in 3 countries last summer with a passenger. I was very impressed with the Sena. I did, however, spend a little extra for a better microphone. This is because I have a modular (flip up) helmet.

I currently have the Sena SMH10, but the Sena 20S is on the doorstep waiting for me to get home today. I use it with Big Ear custom molded stereo plugs..........I am also a provider of Big Ear though.

The SMH10 ear bud cradle is a bit fragile it seems. I've been through several of them over the past 2 years, but they have been replaced under warranty, so not a huge deal. I did buy a spare just to have around though since it was about $35. The new 20S has a different set-up for the ear buds which appears to be more robust.

Custom stereo plugs are made for all day comfort and do a great job blocking wind noise. I can ride with them all day.......12 hours or 600 miles.

• Member Contributer

Sena SMH10R, love the thing. In helmet speakers work for me. Tried the earbud accessory they sell and a hassle with my Shures at every stop. Speakers are just loud enough to get the job done. But the trick is having a helmet with speaker cut outs for them.

• Member Contributer

Another thumbs up for the Sena SMH10R. Foam earplugs & the in-helmet speakers work just fine for me.

• Member Contributer

Really liking my Cardo G9. With my Ampli-Rider and a bluetooth dongle, I've got the GPS/MP3 coming in, plus the Radar detector.

When riding with CVVFR, intercom works too.

Plus it offers radio stations, lasts all day and then some, water/shock proof, easy to use and if needed will take calls - but we don't want that.

I've been riding for over a year now, with a Sena SMH10 in my Shoei RF1100 (which has cutouts by the ears). I use it every day, to listen to music while commuting, streamed from my Nokia N8 cellphone (which I can also use for calls, etc.)

After experimenting with several setups, including several types of earbuds, the thing which works for me is using the in-helmet speakers, an accessory Shoei windblocker (can't remember the proper term - whisper kit perhaps?), and Howard Leight earplugs solely to cut out the wind noise, because they're not great at cutting out ALL the noise like my preferred 3M plugs. I also don't have them inserted fully. Then I have the volume on the Sena up to about 80%, and can hear the music very clearly, and other noise such as the engine, traffic, as low-level background noise. I also have an SM10, and a second headset in my wife's Shoei, with earbuds, but apart from testing it, she's never used it, as she bought a 2013 VW Golf Cabriolet, so she'd rather we went in that on nice days than travel on the bike. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My 2c...

I tried the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 for the better part of a year. I found the volume barely adequate inside my Arai Quantum, the volume controls were a pain, the automatic volume feature was unreliable and so was voice activation. The last straw was that a recent firmware update to my Garmin Zumo 665 introduced stuttering with MP3s.

The Sena SMH10R got rid of the stuttering and works more smoothly with the Zumo in general, sound quality is a tiny bit better, the volume control is a simple knob thank you, it's loud enough to blast my aging ears into OSHA hell and I can buy the hub thingy to work with my ham radio stuff if I want. But, I can't complain about flaky automatic volume because it doesn't include that, so I'm glad the knob is easy to turn. And the low battery warning is obscenely, stupidly short. Like 5 minutes at most, versus 20-30 minutes for the Scala.

Another observation is that when you're setting up the mics, the Scala's needs to be right at your lips but with the Sena, that results in gross over-modulation.

• Member Contributer

I've actually been using a couple different Chatterboxs for years now. I'll try to keep my rambling here non type specific though.

1. Start with a good, quiet helmet.

2. I ride with earplugs in, and the volume at 9/10 (crackles less). I can hear it pretty clearly, unless I'm trying to listen to music with a crazy dynamic range (uh, symphony, some jazz, you know)

3. I've used helmets with and without cutouts for the ears, both seem pretty similar. (AGV Ti-Tech and Icon Variant if you're curious)

4. I've used bone transmission headphones and throat mics in loud work enviroments, I've also used active noise cancelling variants of both. All the systems were decent, none seemed a huge variation though.

5. If you're handy with a soldering iron and can figure out the tricks, you can run whatever speakers/mics you want. Case in point, one of my helmets currently has a set of bone transmission headphones.

6. I wouldn't want soemthing where the wires were attached to anything other than the helmet (so, in ear bud type speakers would be out, personal preference)

7. I apparently like making lists.

Good luck and have fun.

• Member Contributer

Schuberth SRC collar can live without it (it ain't great....)

• Member Contributer

Go to webbikeworld.com their reviews are great. I have a HBC100 from Uclear...it has boomless mics built into the speakers...the speakers are loud and the new hbc200 works and pairs wi th other BT systems...I love mine...easily pairs with gps, phone and tablets.

Matt

Archived