Virginia Ride: Saturday, July 26, 2014

TNRabbit

Charlottesvillemountainlooprevised_zps63

Planning a ride for this Saturday, July 26, 2014. It will be some form of this previous ride from a couple of weeks ago^^^. It's a fantastic ride!

This is just a tentative route but for sure will include 151 & 56. Same meeting spot & time (9 a.m.), Greenwood Gourmet Grocery on hwy 250 just south of exit 107 on I-64 near Crozet, VA:

GreenwoodGourmetGrocery_Crozet_VA_zpsdf9
GreenwoodGourmetGrocery_Crozet_VA_2_zpsa

Hi Gary,

Don't think I'll be joining you this time. I haven't found the time to work on the vfr's charging system yet and I have some other projects in the works for around the house and involving some other vehicles this weekend. The weather forecast are also predicting it could be pretty hot this weekend. Last I heard they're calling for mid-90's Saturday here in Richmond)..

It's been a while since I've ridden that section of 501 south from Buena Vista, Although there are few miles that are enjoyably tight & twisty just before 501 intersects the BRP, the pavement condition through there could be fairly broken up and rough since there a lot of heavy truck (and other) traffic through there. Of course, it's possible the section may have improved since I last rode through there several years ago.

How far were you planning to take 501 south of Buena Vista? All the way over to 29? The section of the BRP leading north from where it intersects 501 (near the James River) and back toward hwy 60 is a pretty and enjoyable ride. Also, the section of the BRP south from there (toward Peaks of Otter) is my favorite section of the Parkway in VA. On the other hand, as I recall 501 west of the Blue Ridge itself is generally pretty straight (and somewhat boring) except for that one section that parallels the James..

Has anyone else expressed interest in joining you?

So far it's me & Forester from VFRW. I think Doug might join us & I've PM'd several others. It doesn't matter to me as I'll enjoy it either way~

Yes, 501 south from Buena Vista. Hadn't made a decision yet on how far, but there's a section down near Cove Creek where another road splits off & follows the river toward Lynchburg...thought that might be interesting. I'm not opposed to taking the BRP, though. We might come down 501, turn around & go back up to the Parkway-- group consensus when we get underway.

It's supposed to be 74 degrees at 9 a.m. when we meet, & will climb to the high 80s by 1-2 p.m. Plus we'll be in the mountains for much of the ride, so don't expect it to get too uncomfortable until later. I'm not one to let a little heat, cold, or wet stop me from riding....it's the sitting still part that is tough!

Sorry you won't be able to make it--I had figured you probably wouldn't but we enjoyed this ride already so you won't be missing anything (much) new!

Guys, this is a REALLY enjoyable ride; if you can make plans for it at all, please consider!

Hope you get your issues under control with minimum trouble.

I'm a maybe. I have a visit with the knee doc in the morning. Depening on what he does to or for me will determine my receptiveness for getting up early to meet near Crozet on Saturday. Not an especially fast rider, not horribly slow either, just cautious. New to the VFR. I've only put about 6-700 miles on it so far. My other bike is a DL650.

I hope you have good weather and an enjoyable ride tomorrow. Sorry my viffer's weak battery & charging system issues prevented us from being able to make more than one run on 60 east of Buena Vista last time, for when traffic is light I've found that ~ 10-mile stretch of smooth, twisting asphalt can be a lot of fun.

I'm glad we were fortunate while riding on 39 east from Goshen and were able to enjoy a good run w/o getting caught behind slow moving vehicles two weeks ago, for it can be yet another highly enjoyable stretch of asphalt!

Carey

Beautiful day, beautiful roads...all was great UNTIL....

I went down in a large patch of gravel on rt 56 this afternoon @ 3 p.m. Leathers worked AWESOME! Not a scratch on me after sliding @ 50 feet. Bike didn't fair so well....

about the same time, one of the other guys was hit by a deer about 10 miles from home. It destroyed the left fairing on his 1200 only a week after replacing it from a gravel-induced lowside~

1 out of 3 VFRs on the ride made it home unscathed. Not really a good average. I hope this isn't the norm for VFRs. It would make me sad.

TNRabbit, any soreness today? I mean besides what get from riding 300 miles normally?

1 out of 3 VFRs on the ride made it home unscathed. Not really a good average. I hope this isn't the norm for VFRs. It would make me sad.

TNRabbit, any soreness today? I mean besides what get from riding 300 miles normally?

Nope_physically, I feel great. Mentally...not so much~ :-(

I want to remind everyone what a huge difference ATGATT can make in a situation like this. I went down on pavement at @ 45 mphn slid @ 50 feet suffering ZERO injuries except to my pride & the toe of my boot. While it was happening I was thinking "wow, this should be hurting a lot more! Wrapped in my leather cocoon, I felt completely isolated from the turmoil going on. When the bike initially went down, I landed on my left forearm/elbow (most abrasive scuff on leathers), slid on my back for a few feet, then rolled over a time or two and landed on my stomach sliding some more. At the end as I was still moving, I put my feet down & the momentum stood me upright...I'm sure it looked comical to anyone that might have been observing~

On a brighter note, glad YOU made it home OK! And thank you again for your help & staying with me for hours waiting for my ride to arrive!!

post-27845-0-19301200-1406477128.jpg

I've been riding sections of 56 that lie east of 29 between Lovingston and Buckingham and west of 29 across the Blue Ridge for at least a 1/4 century. Thankfully I have been fortunate enough to (so far) avoid going down, but I have experienced some close-calls myself and unfortunately have witnessed the aftermath after having three friends to go down while following me through both sections.

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of leading "TNRabbit" (I believe for the 1st time) through the section of 56 that runs west from 151 across the mountains past Crabtree Falls, Montebello and under the BRP before descending down the western side and past Vesuvius. It was beautiful, bright sunny day not unlike last Saturday and I believe I may have mentioned to Gary that the pavement was unusually clear of patches of gravel and sand. I say "unusually" because over the years I've come to expect such hazards on 56 over the Blue Ridge, particularly in early spring after the roads have been treated over the winter for snow & ice, or at any time of the year after a significant rain.

October of this year will mark 30-years since I obtained my street motorcycle license endorsement at age 26. Of course we've all heard the ominous saying that essentially there are only two types of motorcycle riders: those who have crashed...and those who will. Fortunately, so far I've managed to avoid joining the ranks of the former, and I like to think there's still hope I might be able to avoid joining the ranks of the latter.

I guess one could say I've already had my "three strikes" where riding hwy 56 is concerned. Back in the early 90's while riding my '83 Honda Nighthawk 650 east on the section of 56 that crosses the James River east of Lovingston, I had accelerated hard uphill while approaching a fairly tight right-hander, only to discover my lane was covered in gravel on the blind side of the turn. I'd rate that experience as a 9.5 on the sphincter scale as I had little choice but to straighten up my path of fravel or face a low-side. Thankfully, I managed to stay upright-and did not encounter any oncoming traffic in the other lane. Next, a few years ago while riding my Speed Triple followed by a friend, I suffered what I'd describe as a "brain fart" as we climbed up the eastern side of the Blue Ridge on 56 below the parking area for Crabtree Falls. At the time we weren't riding aggressively or even quickly, but as the road jogged left I can recall thinking "you're going off the road"...which I proceeded to do so by riding into the ditch. Thankfully, I managed to keep the bike upright and the only damage was to my pride along with a few scratches on the Speed's lower engine cases on the right side. Then, within the last year I was riding alone on 56 while experimenting with my compact digital movie camera (Contour Roam) when I failed to see a patch of gravel in a shady area on the pavement as I was descending just ahead of the country/camp store beside the post office in Montebello. Once again, I managed to stay upright and (thankfully) in my lane, for this time there was a car approaching from the other direction. I still have the footage recorded by my digicam during that quick slip which was over in a split second. Unfortunately, sounds like Gary was not so lucky when he faced a a similar encounter with a patch of gravel on 56 last Saturday. In any case, I'm starting to wonder if my number could be up and whether I should consider staying off hwy 56 when riding on two-wheels from now on!

B.t.w., in case you didn't realize it's my understanding that the VFR1200 rider who TNRabbit mentioned hitting a deer not far from his home last Saturday had just replaced the fairing after low-siding on (guess what) hwy 56 a few weeks before!

A little overview of the cause.

IMG_20140726_150431.jpg

IMG_20140726_150423.jpg

TNRabbit wasn't aware of the grit that is the exact same color of the road that gets used all winter. At this one spot, the rain washes it out of the uphill ditch and across the road. It was no problem waiting with you. Just wish I had known a good friend was camping just over the mountain at Montebello. I could of had a steak before riding home. Also in the bends on that road from Buena Vista to Vesuvius accumulates a lot of grit/gravel. That was why I slowed up through there when I was leading. I've had the tires slip a bit on those roads. This winter was especially bad for grit on the roads.early spring runs through there were slow nerve racking experiences because of it. Glad your gear was good because I don't think either of my phones had a connection where we were.

Do you manage to tear in and evaluate the damage anymore?

A little overview of the cause.IMG_20140726_150431.jpgIMG_20140726_150423.jpg

TNRabbit wasn't aware of the grit that is the exact same color of the road that gets used all winter. At this one spot, the rain washes it out of the uphill ditch and across the road. It was no problem waiting with you. Just wish I had known a good friend was camping just over the mountain at Montebello. I could of had a steak before riding home. Also in the bends on that road from Buena Vista to Vesuvius accumulates a lot of grit/gravel. That was why I slowed up through there when I was leading. I've had the tires slip a bit on those roads. This winter was especially bad for grit on the roads.early spring runs through there were slow nerve racking experiences because of it. Glad your gear was good because I don't think either of my phones had a connection where we were.

Do you manage to tear in and evaluate the damage anymore?

Not completely. As this was my only transportation (besides a bicycle), it's put a kink in my lifestyle~

Going to probably have to replace the metal bracket that holds the instrument panel as well as front fairing , windshield, mirrors, gear shifter pedal, rear tailight, and brake/clutch levers. Good news is there's a fairing in my color on ebay right now for about $280.00,

The gravel being in shade as well as having a tinted face shield conspired against me~

Believe me, I was watching hard for gravel....

Those images seem very familiar to me. I'm fairly sure they were taken on 56 in an easterly direction part way up the mountain and west of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The pavement on hwy 56 on the western side of the mountain is steeper, narrower and includes more blind corners than on the eastern side.

In fact, I have a faint recollection of experiencing a "oops" (slip) in the very same, or very similar stretch while I was riding in the same direction and filming with my digicam earlier this year.

In any case, such fine pavement-color-matching gravel can be found in many sections of hwy 56 across the Blue Ridge and as the images demonstrate the slippery stuff can be awfully hard to see...especially on clear, sunny days when the contrast between areas of sun and shade can be greatest.

While unfortunate, I'm just thankful that TNRabbit's get-off did not occur further up where there are some extremely steep and dangerous drop-offs just past the edge of the road.

Since the images were taken while facing up hill, seems unlikely those could be skid marks left by a dump truck while climbing UP the mountain. My guess is the marks may just indicate where two heavier-than-average strips of tar were applied.

If those are tire skid marks, the truck that made them would have been in the wrong lane (and nearly out of control?) while coming downhill around that corner. If so, that would be an awfully scary scenario when you think about it. Of course, it's possible both lanes might have been blocked off from other traffic at the time.

Still, it hard for me to imagine someone driving a loaded dump truck down that hill, for any time I've climbed it and passed other vehicles descending near the bottom they're almost always trailed by the acrid scent of hot brakes.

There was a similar strip of gravel on the opposite side of the road in the same location. The ditch on the inside of the curve was blocked up with gravel & debris & it looks like the latest rain had pushed a lot of it into the road. All but what was between the wheels of passing cages had been pushed to the sides & center of the lanes. It was about 12 feet of gravel, maybe 14" wide. I could have recovered from a patch of gravel, but as you can see my skid marks show both tires going there near the end.

Archived