My 4Th Gen Project

School's been kicking my ass this semester, and progress on the bike has come to a stand still. After next week finals will be over and I should be able to reinstall the wiring harness, fill her up with oil and coolant, and see if she'll turn over!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't checked in on your build for a while - lots of great progress!

Regarding your seat gap, you don't seem to have any real options as far as re-working the forward subframe mount to bring the whole lot forward - this is what they look like on the inside, bottom right corner is your upper mount point.

$_57.JPG

So it does look like seat modding is your only option. I'd sell the Sargeant seat and get a standard seat, mod the pan as suggested earlier and have it re-padded and upholstered - if the right guy does it you'll end up with a seat as good as the Sargeant.

Looks like you figured out how to get the centrestand off :fing02:

I stared at the subframe for quite some time trying to figure out a way to make it work and nothing seemed reasonable or within any of my hand tool's capabilities.

I hadn't thought to sell the sergeant seat, but that's definitely an option. The friend who gave me the Z1000 bits said the stock seat is absolute garbage for anything more than 50 miles worth of riding, hence me reluctance to sell it. But regardless, the seat gap issue is fairly low on my priority list. I don't necessarily want an OEM+ bike like Andy ;)

And yes I did! That thing was HEAVY! I wonder how much weight I've taken off the bike so far? No pair system, no fairings, no front fairing stay, smaller headlight, staintune exhaust, surely the z1000 tail is lighter than the vfr tail. The 929 front end probably isn't any lighter but it'll more than make up for that in increased front end feel.

If you get the right guy to rebuild the seat, it will be great - they use better foam (closed cell foam) and know how to shape and form it to make it work - just like the guys who make Corbin or Sargeant seats know.

As far as weight, hard to say - I wonder that about mine too. I really need to get a decent digital scale and work that stuff out. A really significant weight difference comes when you ditch the heavy pressed metal exhaust headers and fit a tubular full header system... but the wallet weight loss is potentially more significant than the bike weight loss with that one.

Back to the subframe - any chance of moving the top mount 3" further forward and fabbing something up that goes from it back to the mainframe mounting point? Dual flat spars, for example? Post some pics showing how it currently mounts, a problem shared is a problem halved.

True, there's a place 20 minutes away from my house that apparently works wonders on all sorts of automotive upholstery so I'll have to go check him out sometime and see what he could do for me.

Haha yeah, I'd be all for that if money was no object :491:

I already have to make struts for the lower mounts, so for ease of construction's sake I'm just using the pre-existing top mounts. I'll post pictures this weekend when I can come up for air between tests!

• 1 month later...

Take a look through the pics in my thread. I attached mine to the front of the intake plenum. I ran a dedicated ground wire back to the frame to make sure I had a good ground.

• Member Contributer

Is it more difficult to do The COP on a 4th gen. then a 5th? I found it to be one of the easiest and affordable mods needed to clean up the bike as a naked.

Is it more difficult to do The COP on a 4th gen. then a 5th? I found it to be one of the easiest and affordable mods needed to clean up the bike as a naked.

I'm not sure, I'm not too savvy on modifying the electronics unless I have to. The coils will be hidden beneath the gas tank, so that's good enough for me.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure, I'm not too savvy on modifying the electronics unless I have to. The coils will be hidden beneath the gas tank, so that's good enough for me.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Took the words right out of my mouth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So, a mint 5th gen has popped up for sale and I'm heavily considering parting this project out. It's got all kinds of goodies on it, would anyone be interested in any parts from this project?

Professionally rebuilt Ohlins shock, sprung for 220lbs

rebuilt cbr 929 front end, 0.9kg/mm springs

powdercoated cbr 929 front wheel with brand new Metzeler

powdercoated 3rd gen rear wheel with brand new Metzeler

599 headlight assembly

superhawk clutch master cylinder with SS line

cbr 929 master cylinder with SS lines

sebspeed clutch cover (pressure plate same color as wheels with red outer ring)

There's tons of parts, let me know if you're interested in anything in particular

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2016 at 1:44 PM, Scottay951 said:

So, a mint 5th gen has popped up for sale and I'm heavily considering parting this project out. It's got all kinds of goodies on it, would anyone be interested in any parts from this project?

Professionally rebuilt Ohlins shock, sprung for 220lbs

rebuilt cbr 929 front end, 0.9kg/mm springs

powdercoated cbr 929 front wheel with brand new Metzeler

powdercoated 3rd gen rear wheel with brand new Metzeler

599 headlight assembly

superhawk clutch master cylinder with SS line

cbr 929 master cylinder with SS lines

sebspeed clutch cover (pressure plate same color as wheels with red outer ring)

There's tons of parts, let me know if you're interested in anything in particular

I am interested in some parts. I will send you a PM.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived