Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

• Member Contributer

Thanks fats, did you fit it yourself? If so how easy was it? Do you prefer the sound to the standard can?

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, did it myself. Really easy except the strap which was an utter bastard to get round the can and bolted on. If you look at the pics maybe you can see that the only way I managed it was to put the bolt through from the wheel side and the nut from the outside, then use an allen key on the bolt and socket on the nut to pull it all together. Maybe it would be easier if you have three hands. Didn't use the supplied link pipe clamp as I had a spare Mikalor one, I'd recommend you use one of them with an 45mmxM7 stainless bolt as steel ones always rust with great enthusiasm down there in front of the back wheel (the 47-51mmØ is the size you need).

Yes, prefer the sound. Not much louder than stock with the baffle in (held by a circlip on these, not a bolt or spot-weld) but a deeper tone. I work shifts at the airport and have nice neighbours so baffle out isn't really an option.

2016-06-04_4 clamp.JPG

I took the baffles out of my Ixil the night I installed it and never put them back. It's still not that loud. I can't hear it over wind noise on the interstate and and I definitely can't hear it over a Hardley idling next to me. Stock is quieter than a Prius, that just won't do.

• Member Contributer

Thanks guy, might pull the trigger on it. Got a wee back street bike shop a couple of miles away, might be worth the hours labour cost to avid the hassle myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 26/06/2016 at 8:38 AM, Grum said:

Hi NodakVFR.

Nice video, I've been running the IXL for around 6 months now and love it. I've often thought of the option of running one db killer, however I do like its sound with both removed. Today I lead a group ride of 7 riders on a 330k trip, a buddy of mine following me on his beemer made comment on just how nice it sounds, as well as comments on how nice they look - its all personal opinion though, there's a good range of nice pipes out there now for the 8gen.

Cheers.

Grum

P1010078a.jpg

It almost looks like the "slash-cut" tubes should be flipped over so the longer one is on top.  Is that possible?

Ciao,

By the way, those of you on the fence about buying a pipe and pulling the baffles ought to move quick- new regs are kicking in making it much more difficult to remove the DB Killers on aftermarket cans.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, JZH said:

It almost looks like the "slash-cut" tubes should be flipped over so the longer one is on top.  Is that possible

Hi JZH.

Reckon you could do a flip JZH. Each of the tips has three stainless steel rivets, two at the sides and one at the top for the upper tip and one at the bottom for the lower tip. So, if you were to drill out the rivets and swap the tips with the longer at the top they would both rotate 180deg. This would invert the tip slope. I'm not about to try it though!

Just had a closer look at this option and there may be a issue - the lower pipe has a longer internal baffle that protrudes into the tip area, so placing the shorter tip in that position may expose the baffle at the shortest point of the short tip!

Cheers.

Grum

21 hours ago, SlfAwre said:

Actually I might, but Crossrunners don't exist in the USA.  I think there are a ton of shared parts between the two bikes-frame, subframe, exhaust etc. 

What do you think?

It might be made to fit but it looks like it would mean getting that rear footrest hanger as well, not sure that's standard, and cutting into the undertray to find somewhere to mount the hanger strap.

i put the akrapovic on, sounds great, but a little too quiet for my tastes in a bike, it does grumble during deceleration and during the naughty times, and does not drone when slabbing

i am currently running with the DB killers out... and yes, i removed the sticker

On 7/16/2016 at 11:54 PM, Cheffish said:

I'm liking the looks of this Mugen. Does anyone have one?

image.jpeg

Oh nice! Its a JDM type R VFR800 VTEC lol

On 7/15/2016 at 10:18 PM, wannabfast said:

i put the akrapovic on, sounds great, but a little too quiet for my tastes in a bike, it does grumble during deceleration and during the naughty times, and does not drone when slabbing

i am currently running with the DB killers out... and yes, i removed the sticker

Yeah Its not too much louder than the factory exhaust, even with the db killers out, which I think is great. It has a nice deep quality tone to it, with out attracting any attention or being obnoxious. Keep in mind, the 8th gen header is catted and has very small primaries, so if one of you guys ever upgraded the headers, this akrapovic slip on would probably be your best option, as real performance headers would more than likely make the akrapovic slip on much louder.

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2016 at 9:54 PM, SlfAwre said:

Ok it's a Crossrunner not an Interceptor..but...how rad would it be if it fits?

Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 9.53.12 PM.png

Success!!  A total gamble and it paid off.  Fits perfectly.  Some dremel work required to mount the hanger to the subframe but totally worth it.  I wanted to get rid of the passenger footpegs anyway, so I did-but it comes with a special passenger peg to go outboard of the pipe if you want to keep them.  Super nice quality too.  Still have my finger prints all over it from installing it but I was so excited it fit I didn't care:)

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

Yamamoto high mount for the Crossrunner.  Funny, they call it "up-type"

http://japan.webike.net/products/21837664.html

Fits perfect but install was torture because you have to take off the passenger pegs, which means all sorts of stuff has to come off in order to get to the bolts.  It comes with a new right side footpeg to fit w the exhaust but I wanted to take the passenger pegs off anyway.  Some dremel work to the undertray in order to mount the hanger to the subframe-pretty easy that part.

Does not have a pad for the center stand, which sucks but oh well.  Presently the center stand stops against the band clamp for the exhaust.  I'll probably just take it off, but that's the biggest downside.

Since I took off the footpegs I'll need to make a bracket for the preload adjuster too, but if one were inclined you could simply leave the left hand side footpeg on there (which holds the preload adjuster)

Archived