Memorial Day Weekend - Be Safe

Cogswell

• Member Contributer

I rode a backroads loop today of about 75 miles that I normally do monthly with a group. They're mostly farm roads, some without a dividing line. We always go counter clockwise, so I decided to ride the other direction this time to mix it up. The corners all look familiar, but of course lefts become rights, etc., so it's a new challenge.

On a particularly twisty section I came to a blind right hander, the center line of which was solid gravel and there was significant gravel in the right hand track pulled out by farm trucks as they cut the corner and drag their back wheels off the pavement. I bled off what I thought was enough speed and adjusted my line in to the left hand track to avoid the copious amounts of gravel on the right. Just as I entered the corner an F250 with a camper and big mirrors was coming at me with his left front wheel on the double yellow. There was only time to react - some strong countersteer input to flick the bike tightened my line enough to give me adequate clearance. I clipped some of the gravel and felt the back end move around, but I stayed relaxed and let the bike do the work. Only about 1/8th of a mile had gone by and my heart rate barely slowed when I could see in my peripheral vision something moving in the brush to my right. I heard the the barking before I could see it was a large dog as it came charging at me out of the grass - now it was a sharp flick to the left to avoid that!! All ended well and I continued on with a safe ride.

I wanted to share this as (in the US) it's Memorial Day Weekend and there are probably more hazards for us than usual, so it pays to be extra vigilant. Everyone be safe out there and keep the shiny side up.

On the way home, stopped for a photo op . . .

gallery_20057_6047_2781516.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived