Headlight Not Working

lshark

noticed that my headlight was not working today, was on last night....no high or low beam no high beam indicator..fuse is good...going to pull the fairing and check the relay....any thoughts.....

If the fuse is good, more than likely it's the relay. Only other component in that chain is the headlight switch.

If your front indicator lights (turn signals, position lights) are good, then it's not likely a ground problem, since they all share the same ground connection.

yes, markers, 4 ways, turn signals and tail light all work.....about a year ago, a couple of times there was about a 2 second delay between low and hi beam...within a day or two, never happened again......sounds like the relay....gonna get at it later today

Actually, that doesn't sound like the relay. If I remember looking at the schematic diagram right, the headlight relay is ON whenever the ignition is ON. This is why the low beam stay ON all the time. If there were a delay between the HI beam coming ON, that would point to the HI beam switch on the handlebar.

Test the relay first to eliminate that first. Make sure you are getting 12VDC across the coil, and in turn 12VDC on the output contact accordingly (relative to ground).

took out relay , went to dealer, not in stock but service dept tested my old relay as good,,,,i have 12VDC at fuse box but 0 VDC at relay connector

hi/low switch tests good also.....made an appointment for tuesday

• Member Contributer

Um, I know my history with stuff. . . have you checked the bulb (s?) are there two on the stock setup? Or the ground. . . it'll cause high and low to fail. . .

took out relay , went to dealer, not in stock but service dept tested my old relay as good,,,,i have 12VDC at fuse box but 0 VDC at relay connector

Is that 0 VDC on the coil side of the relay? Or the contact input side?

That'll tell you what's wrong with your circuit. IF they tested the relay good, that means you either do not have 12VDC across the coil to pull the contact closed, OR... there is no 12VDC on the contact input side to send 12VDC to the output side when the contact is closed. You should be able to check with a voltmeter.

Is that 0 VDC on the coil side of the relay? Or the contact input side?

That'll tell you what's wrong with your circuit. IF they tested the relay good, that means you either do not have 12VDC across the coil to pull the contact closed, OR... there is no 12VDC on the contact input side to send 12VDC to the output side when the contact is closed. You should be able to check with a voltmeter.

i have no voltage coming into the relay

i went back outside to double check the voltage test that i did earlier....and....LET THERE BE LIGHT !!!! don't know what i did...but it's working....fairing going back on.....test ride time !!!

• Member Contributer

So, if I recall correctly, the starter switch shuts off the headlights while the starter is engaging. (At least that is typical with our gen 5 and 6 bikes.) With time that switch mechanism can get contaminated and the contacts get corroded. And then after the bike starts the lights don't come back on. In your case it sounds like there is an intermittent contact in that starter switch. This kind of stuff is pretty typical for bikes that sit over the winter.

I've used a contact cleaner and deoxit spray to clean the shutoff switch and i think this would also work well for that headlight contacts. Don't just use WD-40. That will not help the contacts in the long run.

well, i rode about 110 miles, with no incident ...headlight stayed on the whole time...cancelled my service appt......i'll ride it all weekend and see what happens...when the new relay comes in i'll pick it up and throw it in just to be sure, less than $10.00 what they heck

In my dealing with Hondas and the way your particular problem is sounding is actually the starter button itself. I haven't checked the wiring diagram yet but I'm willing to bet its the same type of switch Honda has used for years that is actually a momentary double pole double throw (DPDT) switch. Its the feed for the headlight system after the fuse but before the relay. I done t have access to a wiring diagram at the moment but next time it happens take off the right sight switch pack and take a look at the sodder posts on the switch. Usually it will have one that is blue/white. I belive that should be the feed to the headlight circuit. I could be wrong on the color, I should really check that...

It does sound like it might have been contact surfaces that got oxidized over winter storage. Work it over a few times and the oxidation gets worn away. I have gotten so used to riding year round, I forgot you snowbirds have to put your bikes away half of the yr. :happy:

mine was snowed in for about 3 weeks this winter...i'm out if it's dry and over 40 F

headlight has been working fine since last week ...i picked up the new relay today...prob throw it in tomorrow

So, if I recall correctly, the starter switch shuts off the headlights while the starter is engaging. (At least that is typical with our gen 5 and 6 bikes.) With time that switch mechanism can get contaminated and the contacts get corroded. And then after the bike starts the lights don't come back on. In your case it sounds like there is an intermittent contact in that starter switch. This kind of stuff is pretty typical for bikes that sit over the winter.

I've used a contact cleaner and deoxit spray to clean the shutoff switch and i think this would also work well for that headlight contacts. Don't just use WD-40. That will not help the contacts in the long run.

Im quite shore that this is the problem. I had the same. So, it maybe working for few weeks and then the problems started again. Sometimes works sometimes not. My dealer changed the start komponent for free.

• 3 years later...

My 2013 7th Gen has developed the same problem. Headlight went out while out on a run on a weeknd away recently, didn't work for a day then worked again after being left overnight. Now headlight and high beam are not working, everything else, tail light, indicators etc. are OK and fuse and bulbs are good so I think it's the relay. Not ignoring the starter switch but as I've popped the tank up thought I'd start at the relay.

Does anyone know the part number for the headlight relay? My local dealer seems to be having difficulty identifying the right one!

Thanks.

Archived