Occasionally there is chatter on this board about a statewide VFR gathering in our lovely/bankrupt state of California (most recently seen in a thread about the Lost Coast).

As I somehow have become the de-facto leader of pretty much every Bay Area/NorCal ride -- and given the NorCal-meets-SoCal success of the Central Sierras ride last September -- I've started to think about making this happen for real.

Obviously, there are a million great places to ride in Cali. Ideally, I would think an equidistant meeting point would be the first priority, and of course, there would need to be epic riding in close proximity. Somewhere like Sonora or Mariposa perhaps.

My intent isn't really to grab the reins and steer this in any particular direction, or even to be in charge of it. I just want to gauge interest and maybe even put feelers out for possible dates.

Thoughts?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'd be interesting in meeting with our SoCal bros again.

I don't recall ever being to Mariposa ...what do you know?

September would give us the most time to plan (earlier is ok).

We could be flexible with a Sat ride along with an optional Sun ride plus bonus Mon ride?

Hotel for Sat, Camp Sun?

My initial thought was late September or even early October. I'm in Colorado from July 25th - September 3rd.

I was thinking more like optional Friday, then Saturday rides, Sunday morning rides, and an optional Monday.

Campers could base camp somewhere, hotelers could do the same somewhere nearby. Everybody meet up in the morning.

• Member Contributer

So the possibilities are the last 3 weekends of Sep or first 2 weekends of Oct (all good for me btw)?

Any idea of what the southernmost and northernmost towns might be (for the optional Friday and Monday extensions)?

Guest Recalcitrance

Good idea. Been thinking the same. Posted up a ride in early October in Southern California coinciding with the lunar eclipse. Southwest members would be able to attend but northwest not so much.

I like Monterey but might not be north enough.

• Member Contributer

I really enjoyed last year's NoCal/SoCal meet, and would be up to doing it again. Since I missed out on the Central Cal ride this weekend, I need something to take its place. I was chatting with Rogue_Biker and a possible September ride came up, this could be the one stone for two birds ride for me. Thanks for the bringing this up Brian, let's keep the momentum going!

I like Monterey but might not be north enough.

My thinking (or at least what passes for that in my brain) was to have it be no more than about 8 hours ride from anyone who might participate. Obviously, for those in say, Redding, that's gonna be mighty tough. But that was the goal.

I figured people could take a half day at work on Friday, arrive that night, ride on Saturday, then ride the morning of Sunday and head home (or repeat on Sunday and head home on Monday).

Any idea of what the southernmost and northernmost towns might be (for the optional Friday and Monday extensions)?

Probably Placerville to the north and Kings Canyon NP to the south. There is a metric s--tload of good riding in that area. Also very popular with the touristas, hence wanting to wait until after Labor Day. If we really push it we could even get some nice fall colors.

• Member Contributer

The last 2 weekends of September and first weekend of October would avoid colliding with folks coming back from long labor day Holidays and preserves the lunar eclipse opportunity. My favorite is the last weekend of September but any of the original 5 weekends works for me.

Adding Tuesday would provide a crack at meeting up with folks from Redding.

Guest Recalcitrance

If this happens and overlaps with the lunar eclipse, I wouldn't care since I'm fairly sure we'll end up somewhere with open skies and minimal city lights. :tour:

I'm game to help make this happen if people are on board. :fing02:

If this happens and overlaps with the lunar eclipse

I don't think it would overlap, since that's a mid-week thing. I'd really like to go on that ride, but he who burns all his PTO on a 5 week dual-sport trip must go back to work and never leave again. Or something. I also have two potential work-related events that could shaft me for the last week of September and the first week of October. Waiting on people who [undeservingly] get paid more than me to decide if they will happen.

Let's get a few more people chimed in before we try to lock down dates.

Guest Recalcitrance

Regardless of the dates, I'm in, so that's a plus 1 for the potential roster.

If rides don't fall too close together, I'll take almost any excuse to ride north. :wheel:

(Without work, excitement and appreciation for rides/trips wouldn't be as high. *silver lining*)

• Member Contributer

This sounds like an awesome idea. And, it's still far enough in the future that we should all be able to work our schedules out. I'm in.

• Member Contributer

To be honest, if I was to only get one great ride in this year, this would be the one!

Im in depending on if I can get a friday off from school and if I have a test the following week. I will be on a 2012 Super Tenere. But you can all pretend I am on a VFR.

I will be on a 2012 Super Tenere. But you can all pretend I am on a VFR.

Notice how I very carefully omitted "VFR" from the title. Obviously VFR-centric, but if some of the usual suspects show up on random machinery, we won't chase them away with pitchforks. Maybe.

Ah yes, the Golden State round up. Any of the planners and route makers efforts are greatly appreciated!

Participating will be fun provided there isn't a wedding, graduation, WSBK nearby, bar mitzvah, Haley's Comet interference (Blood Moon accepted) or the ever present "HoneyDo list"

Rack it up!!

post-13109-0-58499100-1398780832.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's good news in my book mk2davis.

Another spin on Greg's take:

Did I mention I'm looking forward to this?

• Member Contributer

I"ll be in, now to decide which 4th gen to ride and when and where

Cowboys herding cats. :laughing6-hehe:

Definitely lurking, maybe thinking about it.

Also want to make a trip back east.

Not sure if both could happen or not.

Time to get planning. :schla15:

• Member Contributer

Oooh sounds interesting. I might even bring the wife... She will have her own bike, of course. Because, I don't think anyone will be able to hold on now that she has been flashed... :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Brian, I'd like to try and make the trip. I'm already signed up for several rides this summer and will see how September turns out. My work and (and therefore home calendar) is not that predictable so pick dates and I'll join if I can.

On location, I'm good with any routing really. I've ridden a lot of the NorCal foothill routes. They are wonderful - but I'd definitely enjoy seeing something new. So open here as well.

Thanks for revving it up.

Ernie

I need to find a job that offers more than 2 weeks off per year.

My thoughts exactly.

Despite the possibility that I might not even be able to go, would the weekend of September 27th work for everyone?

Obviously not everyone will be able to go on any given weekend, but let's start with that.

Lots of interest so far, which is cool. The "possible" list:

BrianF (Central) 27th ?

ecn (Central) 27th Y

wagzhp (Central)

tc339 (Central)

bayarearider (Central)

trjerm (Central)

crazybro (Central)

crazybro's CBR wifey (Central)

Willy (Central) 27th ?

dadofseven + 1 (Central/Reno) 27th Y

St. Stephen (Central) 27th Y