Tank Wobbles On 94 Vfr 750

Guest metalicr

Guest metalicr

Hi gents. Im refurbishing a much neglected 94 VFR750. Mostly complete. Before i got stuck into it and pulled it all apart to service i noticed it had tank wobble and would rock when you put pressure on it mostly the the left hand side. pretty noticible rock too. I'd forgotten about it till now when its been time to fit the tank back on. Its secure , its not going anywhere, it just annoys me and I dont think it came out of the Honda factory with that wobble at all.

Ive pulled the tank back off and had a look and my question is did the tank have black rubber clips/stabilisers? I flipped the tank over and found a small square black strip of thin foam rubber glued to one side and on the other side the glue residue and the black piece missing. but it was stuck on the silver bike frame. from having a bit of a look on Ebay at tanks i can see some of them have like black rubber clips (which would make sense) :tongue:

My guess is previous owner has lost those clips at some point and has glued bits of foam on to attempt to stop the rock. And one of those bits has slipped of and restuck to the frame. idk

heres some pics

2wpibm8.jpg

219du06.jpg

16lz8e0.jpg

6o22ix.jpg

love to hear your experience or opinions on this

cheers

Metalicr (Ben)

• Member Contributer

My guess would be the rubber grommets on the front where it slides into the frame. I have lost those little clips on the side before I replaced them last year and I never noticed a wobble...I just had to go on a hunt in a hardware store to find one just last week before I put my tank back on when I changed my shock. I was able to find something similar in a cabinet with various rubber grommets and washers.

Good Luck with the refurbishing!!

• Member Contributer

I'm with vfore on this one. Most likely the cause of the wobble is one of the front grommets missing, or both. My wife's 96 VFR is missing both of the rubber cushions for the side of the tank the sit on the frame and it doesn't wobble much if at all. I have ordered some replacement rubber tank to frame cushions from my local dealer (expensive little suckers at $10 each) as the shipping costs from the US suppliers like bikebandit and ronayers is just ridiculous. Think they wanted something like $65 in shipping to get them to Canada. The pieces are a LOT more but at least I don't have to pay the outrageous shipping charges.

Yes, mine has 2 as well. The tank needs them to stay still.

A parts fiche would probably have them.

Check the rollers too on the front side of the tank, they don't always like to stay in place during install and could exacerbate the rocking.

Also, when installing those rubber stabilizers, find a spot where they actually support the tank and will stay put--they don't like to just stay in any one spot.

• Member Contributer

As V-Fore said it is the two rubber bushings on the front that your tank does not have in the picture that you can see in Dutchy's pic.

While you are waiting on the parts to be sent to you, you can use a couple of small rubber caps from the auto parts store, test fit them to ensure they are snug.

Excellent advice guys , cheers. Switchblades picture perfectly demonstrates that I havent got them. Bit annoying i'm finding things completely missing.

If there is a whole lot of bolts and washers on the ground after you've done a job on your bike how do you just kick them aside and not try and work out where you left them out !?

Anyways .. Only found one mechanical problem so far. Right front brake calliper pistons has seized. I instantly knew something was up when the bike was pulling to the left on the ride home from buying it. took it down to a place I used to go for help when i had the harley called Doc Hogz here in Melbourne. Had to laugh because they were struggling to find a metric bolt in the whole of the workshop to block up the hole and then use compressed air through a rag on the other hole to push the piston out. They have the experience to get them unstuck without damaging them that I don't have. Did it for me for free because the shop owner is a Massive fan of v4 Hondas and wants to have a ride when its up and running. :tongue:

looking for metric bolts

eb30gk.jpg

23m9bnk.jpg

I'll order some rubber things if there not too pricey and cut up some car suspension bump stop rubbers to use temporarily. thanks lads :wheel:

• Member Contributer

and when in doubt what your 4th gen needs....,

you can always look here to see what is supposed to be there....

http://www.bike-parts.fr/identification.html?appellation=vfr+750&type_mine&pays=FRANCE&debut_n_moteur&debut_n_chassis_1&debut_n_chassis_2&image.x=48&image.y=16

If there is a whole lot of bolts and washers on the ground after you've done a job on your bike how do you just kick them aside and not try and work out where you left them out !?

I have glued these rubbers (both front and side) to the tank because when they drop when lifting the tank it is a PITA to recover them as they always fall into some hard to reach or out of sight spot somewhere between the frame and engine.

Those rectangular pad thingies that hooks on to the seams at the edge of the tank, usually fall off when one removes the tank from the bike, and fall into the engine, in the valley between the front and really cylinder bank amongst the wiring and other stuff. They could be still sitting in there and you may find them if you take off the side fairing panels and do a really thorough search......... I know cause mine got lost a few times after wrenching on the bike and surprisingly, I always found them in there!

Nice shop metalicr ..

true

I went to the wreckers and got some tank rubbers off 2 different bikes. doesn't really matter what bike they come off they do the job perfectly, but i already ordered some genuine ones before this because they were about 5 each. they'll be here shortly. heres one I pinched off some wright off's at the wreckers

6gdla9.jpg1h88sl.jpg

before these it was exactly like playing that board game "trouble" (if you had that in your country! :biggrin: ) , with the thing in the middle that went "poc poc" and jumped when you pressed it

4b70d7e29591f_22791n.jpg

Started her for first time today after starting all this work on her and buying it. Everything works perfectly. Do the lights both shine evenly when bike is on and running? is whats happening in pics normal or do I have a low beam filament prob

11azcat.jpg

14l7hhe.jpg

thanks again lads.

IIRC, In the US, both lights are on with low and high beam setting while in some other countries and more recently in the US, some bike have only one light on at low beam setting. You might have the former going on, but it will be worth checking if it might indeed be just a low beam filament burning out on you....

On the third gen only the left bulb is on when on low beam and both when on high beam. Quite often the headlights are rewired so both bulbs are on when swithched to low beam, for better visibility. If itś the same with the fourth gen then it looks like your left low beam bulb is blown and all you see is light emitted by the small (3W) parking light.

Archived