My Old Girl Is Getting A Makeover. (83 Vf750F)

bswiles

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

bswiles, damn fine work. Your Interceptor is gonna turn many heads!

Lots of attention to detail, but one question...is there paint on the swingarm dropout surface where the rear axle tightens the chain adjusters? I have always seen that area as bare aluminum, assuming that it would prevent any slipping.

• Member Contributer

The bolt at the end prevents slipping. The surface should only see movement during adjustment.

vfrAustin, under acceleration I can see the net force on the axle being towards the front of the bike (which would be stopped by the adjusting bolt).

Under braking the net force would be towards the rear of the bike, where the adjusting bolt would simply be goin' along for the ride.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

1203144.jpg1203145.jpgLatest update from Joe is we are still waiting on paint...I'm really starting to miss her... especially since I crashed my CBR a few weeks ago...

post-22116-0-62192300-1417662595.jpg

post-22116-0-46434100-1417662734.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looking awesome! Paintwork always seems to be the bottleneck. Seems like shops drag their feet when it comes to doing bodywork for motorcycles, unless that's what they specialize in.

I hope you weren't injured when you crashed your CBR.

• Member Contributer

Looking awesome! Paintwork always seems to be the bottleneck. Seems like shops drag their feet when it comes to doing bodywork for motorcycles, unless that's what they specialize in.

I hope you weren't injured when you crashed your CBR.

Thanks Tom...I was full ATGATT which really helped..Hit my head pretty hard and got banged up a little bit...still recovering from a badly sprained ankle...but nothing major.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

16212_799477810120960_7116795119227623867_n.jpgThe latest from Joes's shop...The paint is completed. He hit a snag on the water pump and had to order a replacement pump and seal. She's getting closer.

post-22116-0-36809400-1421436516.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow. Wow again! That paint job is gorgeous. I agree that it's going to be nicer than when it was new.

Wow one more time!

• Member Contributer

Damn fine paint job, bswiles!! I had to reread your build thread, to get inspiration to tackle a few problems on my VF.

then I noticed something in this picture.

post-22116-0-57198100-1411181122.jpg

Maybe the wheel is just temporarily on, but the fork axle clamps seem not to be secured correctly/safely. For the VF1000F forks, with two stud clamps, the factory manual states to torque to spec the front nut first (13-18 ft-lb). Then torque the rear nut to same spec, but will have a gap left. I seem to see a gap on the front nut in the photo.

Of course, this pic may have been a temporary mounting and not 'ready to ride' state, and that case, please ignore. But I thought I might mention incase it is useful for you or others, with a similar axle clamp set-up.

By the way. More photos of the finished bike, please.

• Member Contributer
On 1/20/2015 at 5:06 PM, Sparrow75 said:

Damn fine paint job, bswiles!! I had to reread your build thread, to get inspiration to tackle a few problems on my VF.

then I noticed something in this picture.

post-22116-0-57198100-1411181122.jpg

Maybe the wheel is just temporarily on, but the fork axle clamps seem not to be secured correctly/safely. For the VF1000F forks, with two stud clamps, the factory manual states to torque to spec the front nut first (13-18 ft-lb). Then torque the rear nut to same spec, but will have a gap left. I seem to see a gap on the front nut in the photo.

Of course, this pic may have been a temporary mounting and not 'ready to ride' state, and that case, please ignore. But I thought I might mention incase it is useful for you or others, with a similar axle clamp set-up.

By the way. More photos of the finished bike, please.

Thanks Sparrow and good eye...The guy that commented after your post is the guy that did the work. All of the credit goes to him and his shop, VJMoto.com

Archived