3Rd Annual Hog Tie 2014 Event Thread - September 12 - 14, 2014

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Just a question.....why do folks leave their bags on when going for the day's ride?

Considering the weather that weekend, saddlebags are a great place to store extra layers, rain gear, heated gear, kayak, umbrella and also a place to store all of that stuff when the temps reached a summery level. I believe it went from a damp 45 to a balmy 80 to a chilly 50 all in one day. Plus, saddlebags are the ultimate frame sliders!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Just a question.....why do folks leave their bags on when going for the day's ride?

Considering the weather that weekend, saddlebags are a great place to store extra layers, rain gear, heated gear, kayak, umbrella and also a place to store all of that stuff when the temps reached a summery level. I believe it went from a damp 45 to a balmy 80 to a chilly 50 all in one day. Plus, saddlebags are the ultimate frame sliders!

Understood, was just curious. I've always done this when getting to the motel/garage. Makes sense if temps fluctuated that much!

• Member Contributer

At Hog Tie this year I had an off-road excursion that resulted in another concussion. I was approching the top of a hilltop left hander and the next
thing I remember is climbing back up the slope on my hands and knees. In between the bike and I went down a cleared thirty yard slope and came
to rest just short of the treeline. Medical folks called to the scene checked me out and I refused an ambulance ride. The other riders did a heroic
recovery of the bike up the slope, straightened the bent subframe and got the bike to a nearby gas station. Keny gave me a ride back to the Hub.

The next morning I had huge memory problems.

So, reevaluating my "performance riding capabilities" I realize I have to dial it back considerably and will not be riding with the "faster-than
scenic-crowd", lest I be a "hazard to myself and others" as pointed out by KyleDonehue. (Thanks Kyle, I really appreciate your help and our discussion on the way to Springfield, MO to rent a truck for the trip home.)

I want to thank all the Hog Tie crew for all the help they gave me in dealing with fallout (pun intended). Y'all are the best. :wub:

I hope to still show up at VFRD get-togethers in the future if I feel my brain is capable. But I'll be riding in the slow/scenic group if there is one. Otherwise, I'll ride my ride, alone if necessary, and hook up with others at lunch and/or at the after-ride lying sessions.

:sad2: Terry

• Member Contributer

Max!!! :ohmy:

I just saw this on Yuki's Solar thread. Man, I hope you're ok. I was hoping to meet you for a coffee when you got out here in Oct. for the Julian ride. :sad:

I think you should plan your Bambi chasing and Mushroom gathering as separate activities from your VFR Corner Strafing days from now on. Or start flying

with a 'chute! Recent studies have shown that whacking your head on things too often can lead to this: :schla15:, and sometimes this: :wacko:. Would hate to see

you actually in the Asylum, instead of just a member of it. :biggrin: So, maybe, for a while, you could refrain from so much of this: :wheel: , this: :3:, this: :lobby:,

and this: :wub:, (oops, no, keep doing that...), so we can look forward to enjoying much more of this: :tour:, and this: :1: with you!

And someday we can meet up for that ride and coffee. Ja? :smile2:

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Sir Terry! I admire your humility and your mature, balanced attitude towards your getoff and future motorcycling. Few of us would react with such lowering of pride. Thank you for being a friend and teacher for me. I am so grateful that you came out of this learning experience as well as you did.

• Member Contributer

Max!!! :ohmy:

I just saw this on Yuki's Solar thread. Man, I hope you're ok. I was hoping to meet you for a coffee when you got out here in Oct. for the Julian ride. :sad:

I think you should plan your Bambi chasing and Mushroom gathering as separate activities from your VFR Corner Strafing days from now on. Or start flying

with a 'chute! Recent studies have shown that whacking your head on things too often can lead to this: :schla15:, and sometimes this: :wacko:. Would hate to see

you actually in the Asylum, instead of just a member of it. :biggrin: So, maybe, for a while, you could refrain from so much of this: :wheel: , this: :3:, this: :lobby:,

and this: :wub:, (oops, no, keep doing that...), so we can look forward to enjoying much more of this: :tour:, and this: :1: with you!

And someday we can meet up for that ride and coffee. Ja? :smile2:

Kevin

Love your response Kevin. You are right on. And some day we will meet up for that ride and coffee. I'm hopeing to continue touring and CA is high on my bucket list. Next year perhaps.

Sir Terry! I admire your humility and your mature, balanced attitude towards your getoff and future motorcycling. Few of us would react with such lowering of pride. Thank you for being a friend and teacher for me. I am so grateful that you came out of this learning experience as well as you did.

Thanks Doc, I appreciate your response. I'm more than a little embarrassed with all this motorcycle bashing I've been doing. I'll surely hook up with you again in AR or elsewhere in the future. And I appreciate your leadership and the inspiration you've provided me.

VFRDers are the best!

• Member Contributer

I'm sorry to hear about your incident, Maxswell. I was looking forward to meeting you at Yuki's Lunar thing, too. I had a similar "situation" happen to me (with the sliding and the spontaneous and ill advised off roading), and I share in your appreciation of fellow VFRDers. So when you DO make it out here, I hope you don't mind the company!

And Dedofnite, your post is AWESOME!

• Member Contributer

I haven't heard from anyone else so I made up this icon. Feel free to come up with your own or toss out a suggestion if this isn't up to spec. I uploaded it to the Ride Icon Gallery or you can use the link below to add in your signature.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/gallery/category_3/gallery_2975_3_15760.jpg

gallery_2975_3_15760.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry...but that ride icon scares me!

I'm glad some else said it first but I agree...

Guys I understand. The only other photo I had was him facing away from the camera. Maybe should have used that one?

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_13282_7406_1703917.jpg

Wow! I can't believe you made him kneel before your VFR. I know he was riding a Yamaha but geez! :goofy:

So Terry, how are ya feeling? Have ya had a chance to inspect the poor girl to see what's needed to get back on the road?

• Member Contributer

That's funny. Let's see what Phred says. Do you recognize that spot?

So Terry, how are ya feeling? Have ya had a chance to inspect the poor girl to see what's needed to get back on the road?

Physically I'm well. Mentally, not so much. The brain seems to be recovering but there's that Crisis Of Confidence and Capability. Plan to take my remaining in-one-piece '01, Virginia, for a ride later this week. Hoping to get some confidence back. Fingers Crossed.

I took the fairing off the victim over the weekend and, if I had a potato crop, I could grow some big ones in the pile of dirt on the floor. A VFR earth mover. It's a sad sight. She needs a lot. That's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks for your concern Dutch. I'll PM you in a while about a copy of my accident report. Schuberth has a Mobility Program to replace accident-trashed helmets at 1/3 retail price and require a copy of the accident report.

Be well Pal,

Max(not so)Swell :blush:

• Member Contributer

In my best Ken Jeong voice, you so funny lol. Yeah, trying to get some good pics for Terry.

Btw, glad to hear you are coming along Terry. Only you, and your doctor, will know when the time is right to get back on a bike.

• Member Contributer

I haven't heard from anyone else so I made up this icon. Feel free to come up with your own or toss out a suggestion if this isn't up to spec. I uploaded it to the Ride Icon Gallery or you can use the link below to add in your signature.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/gallery/category_3/gallery_2975_3_15760.jpg

gallery_2975_3_15760.jpg

Oh good God.

I'm so glad I wasn't on this ride so I CANNOT have that icon. Hahaha

• Member Contributer

med_gallery_13282_7406_1703917.jpg

Wow! I can't believe you made him kneel before your VFR. I know he was riding a Yamaha but geez! :goofy:

Ok, can I get off my knees now? :goofy:

gallery_2975_3_15760.jpg

Oh good God.

I'm so glad I wasn't on this ride so I CANNOT have that icon. Hahaha

I think the mod's should make this your avatar so you won't miss the next one. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Anyone happen to know the names of the couple staying at the hub riding the Harley from Nebraska?

The Harley that had satellite TV, Recording Studio, Surround Sound, Wet Bar, and Butt Massaging Seats?

Archived