Helmet Repacking - Hjc

AnikMankar

• Member Contributer

After 4 yrs of using the helmet, found the packing inside loose - causing wind noise, helmet shaking. Thought i would repack it before i invested into another helmet.

Helmet

Repacked only the side - removable pads

01. Helmet Repack   Original

02. Helmet Repack   Original Rear

03. Helmet Repack   Removed cover

04. Helmet Repack   Removing The packing

05. Helmet Repack   Remove Packing Front side. Helmet Repack   Remove Packing Front side

06. Helmet Repack   Remove lining completely. Helmet Repack   Remove lining completely

07. Helmet Repack   Apply 4 Mm Spong Stage 1. Helmet Repack   Apply 4 Mm Spong Stage 1

08. Helmet Repack   4 Mm spong   stuck. Helmet Repack   4 Mm spong   stuck

09. Helmet Repack   Stage 1   trim

10. Helmet Repack   Stage 2   layer. Helmet Repack   Stage 2   layer

11. Helmet Repack   Stage 3 . Helmet Repack   Stage 3

12. Helmet Repack   Re Fit lining. Helmet Repack   Re Fit lining

13. Helmet Repack   New Look   Slightly puffed. Helmet Repack   New Look   Slightly puffed

14. Helmet Repack   Rear view New   with masking tape To hold The glue. Helmet Repack   Rear view New   with masking tape To hold The glue

Fitting is not quite good - no shakes. Had to trim a little at the temples area. Test ride pending.

• Member Contributer

You should be able to order new pads instead of repacking it yourself. It's much safer that way. Shouldn't cost much either.

• Member Contributer

I always figured the helmet getting loose was caused by the styrofoam inside compacting, which makes the helmet less forgiving in a crash. That's why I've always replaced mine when getting loose. Well that, and the desire for a new helmet. :beer:

I will say it, I don't mind being Negative...

It is an HJC helmet. Why wouldn't you just buy a new one?

What is your head worth?

Try Arai next time.

• Member Contributer

After 4 years, I would think that just about any helmet foam would need the foam liner replaced. Most of, if not all of the newer helmets out there, well those of decent quality, have replaceable liners now. I would think as long as the EPS(?) liner is intact and the shell has not been compromised, the helmet should last a few years longer. It is the shell that really dictates the ability to absorb the impact and the EPS to distribute it "evenly". I thought that most helmet manufacturers give the EPS a 5 year life span anyway? Personally I would just a new helmet, being safe is not always cheap!

• Member Contributer

gain some weight? i would think if truely a removable item and that model of helmet is still being produced parts should be availible.

• Member Contributer

Anik,

Motorcyclegear.com has those HJC helmets and cheek pads, visors, other parts as well. If their shipping to India is cost prohibitive I would be happy to check on FedEx or UPS and have your delivered here and forwarded to you.

My sons both started with the same model HJC as yours when I helped them get started into motorcycling about 5 years ago with a pair of old crappy VF500Fs...I think I paid about $69 each for the helmets on some kind of special that was running from the website I listed above (they were still called Newenough.com at that time) but one of them recently bought a Joe Rocket helmet from there (also made by HJC) and paid full list price of $259 and received a gift car worth $250...so he has a $9 helmet.

Back on topic, I think your ability to improvise and correct the issue of worn cheek pads causing even more noise from the HJC is to be applauded. I just don't have the time or talent to make it work for me.

Keith

I also have concerns about the EPS liner being part of why the helmet becomes looser on the head after some use. I think that the EPS slowly compresses ia bit in some areas every time one puts it on wears it and takes it off.....

Is the helmet not as safe as it was when it was brand new because of the compression of the EPS? I don't know, I think only the helmet engineer/designer will have the best idea. Problem is, they will most likely always want to sell you a whole new helmet if you ask them..... So their opinions can be tainted..

There's also the problem of the helmet maker not backing up their product and denying liability if the user gets seriously injured wearing them, because the wearer "tampered" with it, using "non-approved" materials replacing what they might say were proprietary to their design.

• Member Contributer

^Never ask a barber if you need a haircut...and possibly. The potential for compression in the EPS is one reason why most racing organizations will not sanction a helmet more than 5 years from the manufacture date.

Then again we are touring, not racing, right? :wink:

• Member Contributer

Then again we are touring, not racing, right? :wink:

True but my head is worth just as much, theoretically of course, as theirs :biggrin:

Although I am impressed by the skill and effort that went into this, I would not have done it myself. Is the final product pretty good and damn impressive: absolutely. Is it the best that it can be to protect your head: no. Helmets and tires are the two things that I always get the best I can afford.

Well, that and gloves, jackets, pants, various farkles etc hehehe

My 2 cents

• Member Contributer

Didn't mean to create so many sparks ... safety is definitely primary goal.

If you break down the helmet has 4 to 5 components - outer shell, absorbent layer, padding liner, strap, face shield

My mod / packing is on the padding liner only and not to comprise the safety.

I think eventually i will buy a new one anyways.

• Member Contributer

As long as the EPS has not deteriorated, the foam is ok to re-pack. It contributes fit, comfort, and wind seal, but virtually nothing to brain protection. The EPS absorbs the impact G's by crushing, reducing energy transmission to the skull. The shell averts penetration and distributes the forces to a larger area of the EPS. More flexible shells, like the composite HJC's actually perform better than very rigid "old Snell" spec helmets in reducing force absorbed by the skull and the resultant brain acceleration/ deceleration. Don't feel bad that you have done a clever job. And the HJC is a perfectly good helmet brand. Ask Ben Spies.

Archived