Instrument Lights ('86 700)

PFox

So, my instrument cluster lights are out. I can tell this because when I ride home at night I suffer from serious CSS (Can't See S**t :laugh:) where my speed and the RPM are concerned.

Anyone know what size bulbs I need? Base/type, the service book only lists a wattage, that's no good. The bike is my usual mode of transportation, and I really don't want to do the job of taking the cluster out twice if I don't have to! :tongue:

Same for the indicator lights, my low fuel light has been out for a while, might as well fix that while I'm in there!

• Member Contributer

http://www.bike-parts.fr/pieces-honda-detail-35911-13ML7G41-VFR750FG-1986-F__0200-VFR+750.html

this site doesnot have the fiches for thhe vfr750 but it will be similar to the 86 vfr750....

part 3 in this fiche, a T10 3.4V or there abouts.

My 4th gen uses 1.7W "194"s thàt cost a bundle, so I bought 2W for 55cents each. The fule warning light needs a 5W. But on your 1986they all appear 3.4W

Yeah, I got the wattage for each from the service book, but that didn't tell me the base style/series. Got it now though, they are apparently 158 series bulbs for the tach/speedo

Sent from the Future via Google Skynet

• 2 weeks later...

And done. I replaced all of the backlights and indicators with LED replacements, because I like the added brightness and lower heat.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same thing, this cart is what you'd need for one 1986 VFR700.

In case that link dies:

3x WLED-WHP5 Cool White <- backlights

1x 24-WHP Cool White <- odometer light

1x WLED-B-90 Blue 90 Degree <- High Beam

1x WLED-G-120 Green 120 Degree <- Neutral

2x WLED-A-120 Amber 120 Degree <- turn signals

2x WLED-R-120 Red 120 Degree <- Oil, Fuel lights

Total cost on them for me, shipping included, was ~$28 and they work fantastically. No cramming, wedging, jamming or trimming to work.

Slightly related note: anyone know where I can get a replacement tach for under $140? Mine is dead, but the wiring is good and the spark units are fine... :mad:

Archived