Ecu Change For California 5Th Gen

ecn

Question

• Member Contributer

Scope of this question for the collective VFRD research staff is for 98/99 bikes.

I saw a thread somewhere about the UK ECU yielding 10 more HP than the US ECU and another thread suggesting that California bikes were handicapped a further 5-10 HP (ecu and/or cams).

Then I saw a UK ECU on ebay for 35 euros but it just seems too good to be true (spend 50 bucks to pick up 15-20 hp).

Anybody have insight into attempts along these lines?

Do the UK bikes really have more HP than the US bikes?

Do the CA bikes really have less HP than the other states?

Do the CA bikes really have different cams than the other states?

12 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

CA bikes definitely have different cams. It would not be surprising if they had different ignition and fuel curves programmed in the ECU as there is a seperate part number for California ECUs. As far as EU stuff, they may have the HISS anti theft stuff too, but I don't have any experience with EU bikes.

• Member Contributer

Thanks MS. Yep, different part numbers for the cams (crap, no cheap thrills for me). UK ecu for the other states might make sense if the HISS stuff did not kick in till 2000 and they have more HP than the US bikes.

• Member Contributer

I've never heard of the VFR having different HP ratings for US and UK. Maybe rumor based on the RC51? They had a "soft limiter" here in the States that wasn't on the Euro spec bikes. But that was simply a matter of installing a jumper wire on the US spec ECU between two of the pins to disable it.

I know a guy in GA with a French spec 5th Gen. I haven't ridden it, but looking it over I noticed it had a Catalytic Converter (It's a '98 or '99) but the front headers don't cross like the Cat Con '00-'01's here in the US. Don't think it has HISS. Also it has a headlight on/off switch. He's on VFRD occasionally. I believe his screen name is "Finally". I'm pretty sure that if it had 10 more hp, CornerCarver would have already been over there to steal swap test it out!

• Member Contributer

Thx Kevin, I believe you called this one correctly. UK ECU thread looked a little dodgy on reread plus as you nicely put it.

• Member Contributer

Do the Brits measure horsepower the same as here in the States? The +10 hp may be just a different measurement system sharing the same names... like ounces, pints, & gallons.

• Member Contributer
On 2/2/2014 at 9:18 PM, vfrcapn said:

It looks like this article on intalling 49-state cams / ecu on a CALI bike was obsoleted...

is there any hope of a resurrection?

Also, would it make more sense to install the Tyga headers on a CALI  98 or call dibs on a set up used delkevics sure to flood the market (i.e. is the CALI version too crippled to make use of true racing headers).

• Member Contributer

I don't recall exactly off-hand, but when I was considering whether to change the cams, etc. on my CA-spec 5th gen prior to fitting the Erion headers and A&A supercharger kit I looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the effort.  There might be some advantage to be gained, however.

Ciao,

This is a rumor that was started on this thread over on vfrworld (reader beware, that thread is full of misinformation from "Wildstang") 

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/40434-98-VFR800-motor-upgrade-question

There is no magical Euro ECU with a higher state of tune than the 49 state 1998/1999 VFR800. I am pretty sure that the 49 state US 1998/1999 model is as good as it gets and is the same as any other UK spec VFR of the same period, though there is no proof that the 98/99 is any more powerful than the 00/01, that I have seen, it would make sense that the 98/99's larger catless headers made a few more horsepower. I am not really even sure if a California or catted fifth gen is any different that a normal 2000/2001 fifth gen. The original poster was confusing RC45 specs with a mythical "Euro VFR" that does't exist. If you want more power, the recipe has already been made by a few members on here like Highsidenz and Mohawk:

1. Find Original Two Brothers/Erion Racing headers or wait for the Tyga Headers

2. Rapid Bike Racing module to correct the fuel and ignition maps

3. Pipercross air filter

4. Airbox and velocity stack mods

5. Ported and polished heads

6. Custom cams

7. 2mm overbore with CBR929rr pistons

• Member Contributer
On 6/28/2016 at 9:30 AM, ecn said:

It looks like this article on intalling 49-state cams / ecu on a CALI bike was obsoleted...

is there any hope of a resurrection?

Also, would it make more sense to install the Tyga headers on a CALI  98 or call dibs on a set up used delkevics sure to flood the market (i.e. is the CALI version too crippled to make use of true racing headers).

The '98-'99 California model was down 5-6 horsepower due to the cam differences and necessary ECU changes for timing & fuel. I swapped in the 49 state cams and ECU to my '99 CA bike/motor and it's run great for about 18K miles now. I didn't dyno it but seat of the pants says more noticeable hp up top. There were no other changes necessary, every other hard part is the same. Obviously you need to re-shim with new cams but other than that it has run great.

Archived