Shindengen Fh020Aa Rectifier / Regulator - Super Mosfet Kit

Corey

I'm sure many of you are already aware of the FH020AA rectifier / regulator upgrade. I just thought I would share a couple photos of my rectifier / regulator upgrade on my 5th Gen (1998). I went from the stock RR to a Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet RR (Super Kit) from Jack at roadstercycle.com. I can't say enough good things about the kit and Jack himself. He was very nice on the phone and via email correspondence. He answered all my questions and even customized the order for me. Best part is my bike is now running a steady 14.4v.

The installation was very straight forward. I just made sure to take my time with it. I really focused on trying to make it clean and tidy. I think I achieved what I was wanting. I had to drill the mounting plate to orient the RR the way I wanted. I was originally going to use a Metri-Pack 630 connector from the RR to the stator, but I decided to use the heat shrink bullet connectors Jack included with his kit instead. I'm glad I did. I think it will make it easier if for some reason I need to make a field repair and/or add a new stator in the future. I chose to crimp instead of solder. I used a ratchet crimp tool and feel confident that it did the job right. All in all I think it was well worth the cost and time.

post-29105-0-56716600-1391318832.jpg

post-29105-0-68869000-1391318848.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have found the FH020aa to be a quality part and have used it on a couple of local repairs. My personal preference is to use the Metripack connectors to the stator.

• Member Contributer

Nice! I found Roadster while looking up suppliers for the connectors. I already had the previous iteration of that R/R (FH012), but was replacing the stator, and he was willing to sell me the terminal ends to replace in my connector.

New RR wired.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone know the difference between this and the on from wiremybike? Preferences?

Wiremybike sells Ricks products. Roadstercycle is the Shindengen FH020a R/R. Pics of that are above.

• Member Contributer

Anyone know the difference between this and the on from wiremybike? Preferences?

Wiremybike sells Ricks products. Roadstercycle is the Shindengen FH020a R/R. Pics of that are above.

Is there any difference between the rectifiers?

Also, anyone have a concern about the vertical position of the Shindengen? The stock is horizontal. Not sure if airflow of the bike from front to back cools the rectifiers of if this is a non-issue.

• Member Contributer

The MOSFET R/Rs run cooler so its a non issue.

Differences

If you are a plug and play only guy, do the Ricks

If you can do minor wire work, go Shindengen.

• 4 weeks later...

Corkey, did you clip the 3 and 4 p connectors and wire straight to them with the upgrade? If so what was your wiring pattern?

I removed the old rectifier/regulator, then cut off the 3-pin connector coming from the stator and used the heat shrink bullet connectors included with the Super Kit to directly connect to the new FH020AA rectifier / regulator (no specific order/pattern is needed, just connect the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the 3 yellow wires from the rectifier/regulator). I then sealed up the old power connector and ran the positive and negative wires (with included in-line fuse) from the FH020AA rectifier / regulator straight to the battery.

You can see both the heat shrink bullet connectors and the sealed up power connector in the photo on the right.

Is it (the RR) a shunt or series type? Even though the RR will run cooler (if it's a shunt type), the stator will be putting out full current all the time ( actually a tiny bit more) Correct?

J

• 6 months later...

Can someone please tell me the difference between the Ricks MOSFET unit and Jack's as it would seem that Jack's goes back to the battery but Rick's doesn't. I am not sure if this is required but with the amount of problems I have had I want to do this right.

I also see on Jack's website that there is the FH020AA MOSFET type but now the newer SH775 Series type both from Shindengen but on the Shindengen website it shows the values between them being different in the Current (Aave) * 1 column although I have no idea what these values mean.

I am also wondering if I use Jack's units will this affect the warranty on either a Honda or Ricks stator by cutting off the block connector.

My rewound stator plug burnt on one side and after using a temporary measure of bullet connectors from the stator to reg/rec I found the wires got really hot, hot enough to melt the bullet connectors to the wires.

Please help me.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Corkey, thanks for this post.

After doing lots of research on this subject, I too decided to go w/ the FH020AA super kit from Roadstercycle. This post was helpful as I basically just duplicated your installation. Now I'm getting a nice steady 14.3V and I won't have to focus so much attention on the "worrymeter" (voltmeter) anymore. The first thing I did after I purchased this bike was install a voltmeter. Once I noticed some really irregular voltages with the OEM R/R I made the switch.

Thanks,

CN

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just installed my new OEM stator and Jack Roadstercycle Super Mosfet Kit, I will post some pic's of the R/R/ mount I modified using the existing OEM one.

My question is, since I will be running the ground and positive directly to their respective locations and NOT using the OEM connector, how are folks handling the OEM R/R connector?

Leave it there with liquid tape or something else?

Cut off old connector on OEM R/R and connect new R/R using OEM connector?

Just looking for how others (besides this post) are handling the install.

Thanks,

+eb0

In regards to the OEM power connector, I just sealed it up with electrical tape and left it alone. You can see it in this photo.

Shindengen FH020AA Super MOSFET Kit 01

Shindengen FH020AA Super MOSFET Kit Power Connector

I figured if I ever needed to swap out my Shindengen FH020AA R/R in the field with an OEM R/R (I don't think this will ever be the case but...) all I would have to do is crimp the three yellow wires from the stator to the OEM R/R and then connect the OEM R/R to the OEM power connector.

This is why I always carry 3 spare crimp/heat shrinkable bullet connectors like the ones that came with the Super MOSFET FH020AA Kit.

Shindengen FH020AA Super MOSFET Kit

• Member Contributer

In regards to the OEM power connector, I just sealed it up with electrical tape and left it alone. You can see it in this photo.

+1 on that. I did the same. I have a lot of confidence in the reliability of the super mosfet kit so I'm not carrying spare parts, but that seems like a good idea.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback Corkey, yeah I was thinking I would do something similar.

thanks ChasingNolan!

Archived