Radial Clutch Master Cylinder Available?

CandyRedRC46

Question

So it looks like my factory 2007 clutch master cylinder is giving up the ghost. Does anyone have any idea what size our master cylinder is? Or any leads on a brembo radial master? Looks like I am going to need one ASAP.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

10 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Jon IIRC the radial mount from the RC51 works because the 51 has the same size clutch slave cylinder...not sure if that helps you or if you want to the diameter of the R1 clutch slave to match your front end and brakes...

• Member Contributer

Just checked ebay and there's a quite a few Honda clutch m/c's on there. And if you wanted to go new...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2007/VFR800+2AC/CLUTCH+MASTER+CYLINDER/parts.html

http://www.partzilla.com/search/?q=Clutch+master+cylinders (no experience with any of these)

~$175 - Just ideas for you .............

• Member Contributer

Yeah, RC51 is interchangeable. I've got one on mine, and I actually like it better. But that could be down to the cleaning and rebuilding it and the steel line.

Not only is the slave cylinder the same size, it's the same part#.

I think the Brembo stuff for Ducs would work.

• Member Contributer

To the OP, I understand wanting to upgrade & replace components. But is it possible that your existing master cylinder just needs to be rebuilt? Just a guess - I've never seen a leak like that one before. Good luck with however you decide to fix it!

Jon IIRC the radial mount from the RC51 works because the 51 has the same size clutch slave cylinder...not sure if that helps you or if you want to the diameter of the R1 clutch slave to match your front end and brakes...

Technically, I don't think the RC51 clutch master cylinder is a radial-mount master cylinder. It may be that it does not have an integrated fluid reservoir - and, thus, uses one of the little cylindrical reservoirs - but that does not mean that the master cylinder itself is a radial-mount design. I think that the piston in the RC51 master cylinder is the same type of sideways-action as the standard VFR clutch master cylinder.

(I don't have an RC51 myself, so someone else should confirm. But last year I upgraded the front brake master cylinder on my Hawk to a radial-mount unit, so I know that it's more than just the style & orientation of the fluid reservoir. It's about the orientation of the master cylinder piston.)

I don't want to break any forum rules about posting a link to an outside sale item, but a quick ebay search for "brembo RCS clutch master cylinder RC51" should return an actual radial mount clutch master cylinder, if that's really what you're after.

Ron

Man I love this forum. Thanks guys. I'll just start shopping around for an aftermarket rc51 master cylinder and keep my fingers crossed that it fits my clip ons. My clips ons tube diameter is just a tad smaller than the stock Vfr clipons. I had to wrap a couple layers of tap around the bar first to snug it up. I guess in the meantime I'll beg my friend to sell me his spare rc51 master.

Thanks again guys for the valuable info!!!

When I get bored I'll rebuild the stock master and keep as a spare or sell it.

• Member Contributer

I'm running a zx14 nissin radial clutch master on my 4th gen. Affordable and works good… though I can't give specifics as to how it would work on a 6th gen. I know the correct clutch feel/function is extremely important to you for your racing, so I hesitate to say it would work awesome on your bike. But another option is you want :)

Edit: I believe the bore size on the zx14 radial master is 19mm… although I have read this will act like a smaller bore size on a standard master (say 14mm) due to a few factors. Leverage ratio being a big one.

Archived