Austrian Alps Tour 2013 - Completed Film

Well guys... the film edit is finally completed :woohoo:
The whole thing is far to long, so I decided to release it in 10 parts.
I hope you'll enjoy it! ...and feel free to share :wink:

Trip info:
13 bikes - 10 days - 3 200 km (2 000 miles) - Countries: Sweden, Germany, Austria, Italy & France

Update 27 February 2014 :1:
Part 10 - The 13 Adventurers
This last part of the film is a presentation of the complete route and of the
13 adventurers who made this amazing trip an unforgettable experience.
Some of these friends will also participate in the 2014 trip to Fjord Norway
and we look very much forward to this new adventure.
...or If Youtube doesn't work for you, try Vimeo

Part 9 Cochem-Schwalenberg
We haven't seen rain since day 4 on our way down from Grossglockner. This day starts in
glorious sunshine but the forecast predicts heavy rain later on. Unfortunately they were right.
A short ride after Cochem the rain is over us and we have to stop and put on our rain proofs.
We make a short stop at the famous Nürburgring circuit and then continue north to our destination
for the day, the small town of Schwalenberg. The roads are superb but the rain comes and goes
so the rain proofs stay on.
We now have only one day left on this adventure before we catch our ferry to Sweden and the weather
forecast predicts rain for the last day as well.

Part 8 Rheinau-Cochem
We start by entering France and ride through some villages and small towns.
After a while we cross the border in to Germany again and then follow the Mosel valley north to the picturesque town of Cochem.
The following day we'll visit Nürburgring and then continue our tour north.

Part 7 Füssen-Rheinau
It's time to leave Füssen and head north west. We leave the Alps region and ride along lake Bodensee.
The scenery isn't as dramatic as the high mountains but we enjoy the ride and have a wonderful day.
The following day we'll cross the French border and after a while enter Germany again and ride north along the Mosel valley.

Part 6 Neuschwanstein & Zugspitze
We stay in Füssen two nights and have therefore an extra day for exploring the surroundings of this Bavarian city.
The first place to se is of course the castle of Neischwanstein. This incredible building has inspired Disney when
designing their well known logo.
The weather is still very hot and it feels just wonderful when we visit our next site for the day. We ride back to Austria
and take the cable car up to Germany's highest mountain top. Zugspitze is on the border of Germany and Austria
and peaks at 2962m (9718 ft).
Back down again we decide to take the long way around back to our hotel in Füssen and se some more of the
Bavarian country side.
The following day we'll leave Füssen and head towards Rheinau near the French border.

Part 5 Fortezza-Füssen
We start the day by riding up to the first pass, Jaufenpass or Passo Giovo, at 2094 m (6870 ft).
The morning mist is slowly dissolving and lets the sun shine on us on our way down on the other side.
The road surface isn't as good as in Austria but the scenery is great. We stop at a cafe sitting on a slope
in the middle of a curve, overviewing a picturesque village down in the valley.
After a nice cup of Cappuccino we continue the ride to next pass, Timmelsjoch or Passo Rombo at 2509 m (8232 ft).
This one still has a lot of snow on the side of the road but the temperature is quite nice.
On the other side we enter Austria again and the next pass is Hahntennjoch at 1894 m (6214 ft).
The roads and views are just superb and we enjoy our ride tremendously. Just before we arrive at our next
Hotell in Füssen, we cross the border in to Germany.
The following day we'll explore the surroundings of Füssen, including the incredible Neuschwanstein Castle.
http://youtu.be/17hVAaR6kXc

https://vimeo.com/86504890
Part 4 Zeller Fusch-Fortezza
We are finally in the Alps and today we start our ride up to the first pass.
Just a couple of km after we start, one of the Harleys decides to take a break. It just looses all power and dies.
The starter works but it won't start.
We spend about two hours troubleshooting the damn thing and finally find a loose hose inside the fuel tank.
Luckily it's just a matter of pushing it back in place on the fuel pump and we're on our way again.
We ride the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and turn off to Edelweissspitze that peaks at 2571 m (8435 ft).
We also make a detour to the Pasterze Glacier at Kaiser Franz Josef Höhe 2369 m (7772 ft).
The weather is just superb. At these heights we still have around is 22 °C (72 °F) but on our way down the weather
changes from sunny to heavy rain and the temperature drops rapidly.
We spent a good part of the day on this high alpine road already and therefore we decide to skip the original plan
of going over two more passes this day.
We put on our rain proofs and head straight to Fortezza in Italy where we have our next hotel booked.
Despite the rain at the end, this day was just glorious!
Part 3 Landshut-Zeller Fusch

We begin this day by visiting the old castle in Landshut, Burg Trausnitz. It sits on a cliff overviewing
the old town and the medieval gothic Church of St. Martin, with its 130 meters (428 ft) high tower.
Afterwards we continue our trip south through Bavaria and enter Austria just outside Salzburg,
the birth town of Amadeus Mozart.
The temperature now is 37 °C (99 °F) and we only make a short stop in the town of Salzburg,
before we continue to our hotel in Zeller Fusch.
We are now finally in the Alps region and the following day we will start climbing up to the Grossglockner pass.

http://youtu.be/AADe3_raa2U

https://vimeo.com/85927012

Part 2 Fulda-Landshut.

We continue our trip through Germany and head down to Landshut. A very nice town in Bavaria.
On our way south, we stop at Audi Forum in Ingolstadt and visit the Audi Museum.
The roads get more interesting, the weather is fantastic and the fun factor is increasing by the minute.
So turn up the volume and come along...

http://youtu.be/AXL0mk_ziak

...or If Youtube doesen't work for you, try Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/85449028

Part 1 Göteborg-Fulda
The trip starts with a boat travel during the night, from Göteborg in Sweden to Kiel in Germany.
The following day we ride from Kiel down to Fulda in Germany.

http://vimeo.com/85172636

Trailer - Austrian Alps Tour 2013

http://youtu.be/dzf9mLI96-4

https://vimeo.com/79874997

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome vid! Look forward to seeing more!! :wheel:

The music is not bad at all, IMO, quite good for the opening segment. JMJ is quite good overall as background music for motorcycle vids.

Feel free to use some of the famous Swedish death metal in the videos \m/ -.- \m/ :musik20: if you're into that kind of stuff. Though I am not sure if many people will appreciate that here :woohoo: I know I would!

But in all seriousness, the best music for riding vids IMO is something with no lyrics at all, JMJ is good, electronic music in general just nothing too clubby, light rock, some guitar instrumentals, that sort of stuff.

(check this out track by Joe Satriani - one of the best songs for a riding vid ever).

Anyway, we are not here to talk about my preference for music to use in riding vids haha

Please post up the next chapters of your video!

:lurk:

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate that you like it so far. :laugh:

Thanks also for your feedback about music choices for this kind of vids.

We all have our preferences but sometimes it’s healthy to get other people’s views on things.

Anyway, more is coming in a few days and the length of the remaining parts varies somewhere between 3 and 6 minutes.

I thought this would be a good length in order to keep the attention of the viewer throughout the whole vid part.

The complete film is 39 minutes, and that I think is far too long. Besides that, it’s more fun to release it in parts. :biggrin:

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Nice video, looking forward to see more of your trip :fing02:

+1, perfect timing as I was trying to imagine how I would approach the Dolomites cover pic from the north and here it is!

Life is good.

• Member Contributer

Thread hijack, if anyone in UK is interested in doing one of these some friends have organised this one for July 2014.

http://byx.biz/DiGitour/2014/

I'll be going 10 days from UK, through France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Andorra, Spain with Ferry back to UK.

Come a long

Thread hijack, if anyone in UK is interested in doing one of these some friends have organised this one for July 2014.

http://byx.biz/DiGitour/2014/

I'll be going 10 days from UK, through France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Andorra, Spain with Ferry back to UK.

Come a long

Looks really nice. Have a great trip!

The music is a little dull :goofy::goofy:

Great video !!!

Thanks! Hope you like the music better in the following parts :musik20:

The music was good ,,, ....
Glad you liked this part better :-)

• Member Contributer

Let me first to say how much I hate you right now.

Fantastic videos part two was amazing.

KEB

Yep, seeing those clips from Bavaria almost hurts..they are that good.

Seems like thery're from a different time with all the old villages mixed in.

Looks like if you edit your original post (as you did to announce the 3rd installment) it does not show up as new.

Let me first to say how much I hate you right now. Fantastic videos part two was amazing. KEB

Yep, seeing those clips from Bavaria almost hurts..they are that good.Seems like thery're from a different time with all the old villages mixed in.Looks like if you edit your original post (as you did to announce the 3rd installment) it does not show up as new.

Bavaria is really great. I love the place and I will return and ride there again.

Thanks for the tip about announcing new parts. Didn't know the post won't show up as new when edited.

So... Part 3 is released guys. Se top of topic! :-D

• Member Contributer

Part 3 made me so homesick for a place I've not seen in 40 years that I checked out tours..first 1 that popped was edelweiss bike tours starting and ending in .... Erding (moms home town)....nice route by the way.

Those Harleys...they seem to be keeping pace nicely (Euro mods?).

Regardless, please keep the videos comming.

Part 3 made me so homesick for a place I've not seen in 40 years that I checked out tours..first 1 that popped was edelweiss bike tours starting and ending in .... Erding (moms home town)....nice route by the way.Those Harleys...they seem to be keeping pace nicely (Euro mods?).Regardless, please keep the videos comming.

Oh, so you are from Germany then? I looked up Erding and it's really close to Landshut.

We didn't ride through there but virtually every single road in that region is fantastic.

I was amaized of how great the roads besides the Autobahn are down there.

Here in Sweden most of the smaller roads aren't maintained to that level.

They often do repairs on parts of the road and only resurface them completly when

they get really bad. But then again the winters are more severe here and damage them

more then in central Europe.

Don't know if the Harleys are different here but I don't think so.

They kept the pace fairly good. At least on the straighter parts :-)

Don't wory, part 4 is comming real soon :-)

Archived