New Vf Owner With A Few Questions!

Guest Sarona

Good evening!

I just purchased an 1985 VF700 Interceptor Saturday, and have it sitting in my garage to clean it up. It starts and runs, but there's a clicking or ticking sound and I'm not too familiar with how it SHOULD sound. It's fitted with supertrapp mufflers, has just about 90k miles, and leaks oil. There's a few issues with the wiring or electronics. Its not a beauty but hopefully will be at some point. I'll have some pictures and a video of the bike so you can hear exactly what it sounds like!

So first question is "Does this sound OK?" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y9JQmO3vcI&feature=youtu.be (Can't upload .mp4)

And second question, "When I press the right turn signal, the relay clicks, the rear lamp doesn't light up, the dash lights dim. The front right lamp ins't there but the wires are connected; any ideas?" -The left signals work as to be expected.

Also; the headlamp doesn't light up. I know the bulb is working but high beam low beam does nothing at all.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Matt Whittaker

PS:I live in Southern California in Rancho Santa Margurita, so if anyone else is around there, Cook's Corner away!

post-28891-0-12222000-1387925764.jpg

post-28891-0-21695600-1387925790.jpg

post-28891-0-65564500-1387925791.jpg

• Member Contributer

WELCOME and sounds ok but you need to rev it up for better read and the valve cover gaskets are probably leaking oil .

The electrical could be a lot of things but i would make sure to take out the front and back right side bulbs and to the right turn signal and try again.

Check your cams for wear and pitting, also the rockers. Electrics can be fun :pissed: but if your globes check out as switchblade suggested, check your earths, they can do some crazy things if not earthed properly, last of all but most importantly, download the workshop manual. You will need it.

Tony

• Member Contributer

Sounds ok to me. Put a bulb in the front right, I'll bet that fixes the blinker issue. It may need a new turn signal relay. How do you know the headlight works if nothing happens with the switch? That may be another relay issue, that's where I'd start, then clean out, check the switch itself.

I suppose I don't know for sure the headlight works, but I've tried two different bulbs, one straight from the box and the one that was in it when I got it that looked brand new.

So I took it for a spin today, turns out the headlight works when running, but high beam kills the light and I have to restart it to get the light back on

• Member Contributer

Welcome fellow So Cal member. I'm just down in Dana Point. :) Down to ride any time.

So I took it for a spin today, turns out the headlight works when running, but high beam kills the light and I have to restart it to get the light back on

You may have a short somewhere in the wiring (?). I'd trace the wiring harness and make sure everything is kosh.

Archived