2014 Vfr Poll

zon

2014 VFR 800  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider purchasing a 2014 VFR 800 if it was imported to North America?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Yes, even though it is a compromise and does not improve enough I would absolutely consider this bike as an addition to my (currently) 9 V4 Hondas in my garage.

Just like I considered several Hondas to replace my wifes' 10 year Odyssey before deciding to purchase a new Tundra...

• Member Contributer

I am assuming the survey means new from a dealer? Well, then no. - Its a maybe in the future thing, I would never drop 12k on a bike. A few years used and low miles? Well, just maybe. But if I still have my 5th gen? Nope.

But I am still at ----- a VFR 700/750/800/848 must be in my garage forever, whatever model it may be. I have to support that habit.

• Member Contributer

Even though it is not exactly what I would want, this bike is closer to what I like compared to the VFR1200F, and I would probably choose to buy this bike.

I was considering an upgrade (in a couple years) to a newer 2009 ABS model 6th gen before this announcement. I think I would get this "8th gen" VFR800F instead of upgrading my 6th gen. It basically offers me everything I would need, and the V4 sound that I love.

Of course, this all depends on whether they actually choose to sell it over here or not. And pricing. I remain cautiously optimistic.

• Member Contributer

As I've looked at this post more, I've realized that when I voted I was thinking "off the showroom floor" rather than "used". Now looking at a number of the posts, it's obvious there are various thoughts on that. My guess is that from Honda's perspective, all that matters is the former.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As long as I can have a running 5th gen absolutely not. When I can't do that anymore hopefully Honda will have a bike that's an actual improvement. If not I'll be looking to another brand.

• 2 weeks later...

If anything ever happened to my 6th gen I would look at the a new one without hesitation. There are enough small improvements to warrant consideration.

Only if it comes in Silver!

... Krylon to the rescue!

I personally think silver would clash with the many champagne colored accents. Red looks classy ... just like the majority of the 4th & 5th gen VFRs. Anything but faded yellow.

What street rider wouldn't even consider buying a new VFR??? It's not like this poll commits you.

Perhaps there are many subtleties in the new VFR that people just don't see, that won't be appreciated by reading a spec sheet online. Honda is clearly adding a lot of value to the street rider while keeping the VFR far removed from the track machine that some old timers still want it to be.

Let me tell you why I would seriously consider replacing my current VFR750 for a new 8th gen VFR (yeah, that's right, I ride a 750. With the mods I've made to my machine, I haven't been tempted to replace it by ANY motorcycle, including the later VFR800s, until now):

1) No question this one will outperform all prior 700-800cc VFR generations out of the box -- not in shocking power, but all the other ways that impact real world riding experience.

2) LED lighting might be a rather significant improvement. Up here in the great white north, days are short during the wet riding season.

3) How about those new brakes, not linked, ABS standard! That's better than we've seen in a long time from Honda.

4) It'll be a durable beast. While the usual whiners are complaining about the VFR not offering >150hp and at least a liter displacement, I LOVE the all-day driveability of the 800. There's nothing stopping the racers from modifying to their hearts' content or buying the VFR1200. Re-using the 6th generation VFR800 parts that worked well is a recipe for success, not a point to complain about. I prefer reliability over peak HP bragging rights, and solid components to fragile look-fast bits.

5) Check out all the great suspension mods & ergonomic tweaks Honda finally implemented! Heated grips! It will be easier than ever to dial in the VFR without tearing down shocks and replacing springs!

6) The bodywork is classy and understated, while being much more attractive than Shamu. The new VFR800 reminds me of a nice mixture of the classic 5th generation VFR with a little bit of Ducati 900 thrown in -- a rather clean, complete fairing. Honda finally got around to providing a handsome, sleek machine for the understated mature rider. *LOVE* the new wheel design, too. To those who keep saying it's "boring", I think it's up to the individual owner to tack on all the "look at me" accessories he wants. Most of those "cutting edge" designs age rather quickly, and I like to ride my bikes for a decade or more.

7) Exhaust goes back to a simpler, lighter design that's easier/cheaper to replace. But since the chassis carries over much from the prior gen, it should be very easy for aftermarket companies to offer underseat exhaust to those who like a hot bum. Best of both worlds!

8) finally: Honda ought to have learned its lesson after the horrible sales of the VFR1200. One can be sure that the new VFR will be priced more aggressively. I am optimistic that for most riders who don't haul a passenger regularly, the new VFR800F will be a superb value. It's not like there are that many well-built middleweight V4 bikes to choose from, and this is the only one of the last 15 years that tempts me at all.

Bravo. A very well argumented case put forward there. Some old timers might feel a little offence but I would take it on the chin as unintended.

I agree it does seem to be on paper and in photos a much improved version of the previous 800s. I also think most of the complaints are that it's what Honda should have come up with in 2006 instead of the "6.5" gen.

I would definitely trade my 6th gen for one of these 8th gens without even having test-ridden it. And I never buy new nor within the first year or two from release date.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i sure wouldn't. the main thing that drew me to the vfr in the first place was the sleek under tail exhaust.

If i were to buy something in the next year or two, I'd be much more likely to get the R1 w higher bars n a smaller rear sprocket for touring.

this really does NOT excite me.

• Member Contributer

i sure wouldn't. the main thing that drew me to the vfr in the first place was the sleek under tail exhaust.

If i were to buy something in the next year or two, I'd be much more likely to get the R1 w higher bars n a smaller rear sprocket for touring.

this really does NOT excite me.

If it proves a simple as it looks, Honda have not changed the frame and anyone could bolt a 6G rear subframe onto the 8G and install an undertail exhaust.

All it would cost is the new alloy rear subframe and the ability to have frameless pannier attachments. Not a price that I would pay.

I would prefer an under engine exhaust to that even though the under tail exhaust does look very nice.

• Member Contributer

13 large is a hefty ammount.

my 2013 Ford Fiesta was less than that.

Similar horse power numbers or is the Fiesta (that's a fun name isn't it) more powerful?

Archived