Looking At 84Vfr500

pyrofitr1368

• Member Contributer

I am a proud owner of a 2000 VFR800(Bumblebee). Love the thing. In my area is a 500 for a good price. I would like to get it for my girlfriend so we could ride together. I can do a lot of repairs myself, and if needed, "got a guy". It's got 30,XXX. What should I look for on these early gems? What are the quirks I need to look for? I know on mine I learned about the R/R, had to get the vfrness, changed the left side radiator (due to prior drops, not from me), changed the fan sensor and added a manual fan switch.

How are they for performance? This would be her first sportbike..had a 1100 Virago before.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

• Member Contributer

Valves. Dropped valves are a problem. Have to keep on top of them. Of the two VF engines I have, one was utterly destroyed in such a way that only I could have been lucky enough to end up with it, and the other I'll find out this weekend.

There are no more head gaskets left. So if you end up having to do major work to the head you have to get a custom gasket made, or hope one pops up on ebay.

If you do end up with one that has solid compression on all cylinders and the valves are in spec, you are in for a treat. It's a terrific little engine with plenty of power. You'll be taking the baby-vfr out for a spin more than you might think right now.

Also, how can upstate NY suck??

• Member Contributer

If you live in the US, there is no easy source of gaskets. Custom Cometics are probably around $80. Or you could order from the link above, pay $140 + shipping ($40 est), and hope they aren't bent when they get here.

Compression test can tell a good deal. Do one if you can before purchase.

• Member Contributer

I owned one of these, back in the day (WAY back in the day), plus a couple of VF400's. Nice and nimble, well balanced, comfy and easy to ride. A great intro to a sport bike (but probably more of a sport-tourer these days, my how times have changed...).

If the owner will cooperate, do the compression check, pull the cam covers and check out the condition of the cam lobes & rockers, look for scoring & pitting. Take a look at the timing chain. Chances are great that the carbs will need cleaning and possibly rebuilding. The 500 is a ton of fun to ride, your lady will like it I'm sure.......and you just might be looking at her license plate a lot.

I had a friend who had a VF500 back in the 1980s, when I got my VF750 We'd often ride together, and once in a while swap bikes. Actually I liked the 500 better than the 750 for riding at 9/10ths on the twisty 2-lane country roads near here. It is lighter than my 750 and felt more agile to me. A bigger or stronger rider than I am might not have felt the same. It seems to me that a female rider who isn't built like a lady linebacker would appreciate the 500's stable handling and the ease it which it can be tossed around under its rider at speed (if she would ride it like that).

• Member Contributer

They are great bikes, no question. Keep the revs down and everything will be fine. They won't set the world on fire with speed but regardless they are one of the most fun bikes out there.

• Member Contributer

Had an 86 500 a couple months ago. Disassembled and cleaned the carbs, forks seals/oil, engine oil and filter, 1 spark box, 1 coil, new plugs and what a fantastically fun little bike. Would have kept it if I could have. Not much to add other than what the others have said.

Archived