Are There Any Honda Rearsets That Will Fit A 6Th Gen Lower?

Rush2112

Question

• Member Contributer

Are there any inexpensive Honda parts bin rearsets that will fit a 6th gen lower engine cushion? I.e. CBR 929/954/1000 RC51 etc.

I'm trying to build a 5th gen track bike and I'm considering a 6th gen cushion to allow me some options with the rear sets. I want to go 1 up, 5 down on the shift pattern.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks....

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the distance between the mounting holes on your 6th gen ?

I had trouble locating race rearsets to suit my 4th Gen - which uses 78mm mountings.

I was told that early CBR900 Fireblade rearsets are also 78mm but have not found a set to borrow as yet.

No, not really as everything else seems to use different bolt spread.

I made a simple bracket for my 6th gen track pig that raised and slightly pushed back the pegs .

post-301-0-19764200-1385005014.jpg

PS I do have a set of adjustable rearsets for a 5th gen if Seb ever sends them back.

BR

• Member Contributer

No, not really as everything else seems to use different bolt spread.

I made a simple bracket for my 6th gen track pig that raised and pushed back the pegs slightly.

attachicon.gifvtec track project 023.jpg

PS I do have a set of adjustable rearsets for a 5th gen if Seb ever sends them back.

BR

Clever little adjustment there BR!

Might even be able to use something similar to account for a different bolt spacing.... Thanks!

• Member Contributer

What is the distance between the mounting holes on your 6th gen ?

I had trouble locating race rearsets to suit my 4th Gen - which uses 78mm mountings.

I was told that early CBR900 Fireblade rearsets are also 78mm but have not found a set to borrow as yet.

I measured 2.5" on the lower cushion I have in the garage... I guess I should have done that in mm... looks 63 or 64 mm. The CBR929 are about 57mm.

BTW... I'm measuring center to center on the holes.

No Honda ones I'm aware of but I may be able to get you some made by a German mob which are on longer in production. Real nice. I have a set installed on my 6th gen. Thurn I think is the brand.

• Member Contributer

My guess is 61mm.

I measured 69mm top to bottom, bolt is 8mm, 4mm off the top, 4mm off the bottom to find the centers.

Seb told me he hadn't found any that bolt on. RC51 is like 82-83. Trace measured for me, but I forget what he said.

I'm pretty sure 929-954 are the same.

Either stock 6g, or make some kind of adapter, i.e. what BR did, or drill and tap a hole in the stock 5g for a linkage.

Man, I can't believe how many people are trying this all the sudden! I was hoping to be the first. (And I know it's already been done.)

I've asked Kayla at Projection Components if she'd be interested in making some adaptor plates, I think the CBR600F4i rearset will work (same brake m/c mounts, has a gear shift linkage)

That should open up the options a little, although it's just a theory at this stage!

• Member Contributer

Honda CBR929 & 954 rear sets should bolt straight on, they use the same lower cushion !

Nope. If you can look that up in the fiche and provide a link, I'll be happy to apologize.

• Member Contributer

I've asked Kayla at Projection Components if she'd be interested in making some adaptor plates, I think the CBR600F4i rearset will work (same brake m/c mounts, has a gear shift linkage)

That should open up the options a little, although it's just a theory at this stage!

Please confirm bolt spacing on this! Anyone have an F4i sitting around? Different rear sets was half the reason I did the 6 gen mod. I was just looking at some F4i pics and even if the bolt spacing is correct the geometry of the pedals might be out. On the 6 gen the rear set mounting bolts are straight up vertical. On the F4i the top bolt is angled behind the lower mounting bolt. As such if they did fit, the rear set would be rotated forward and put the brake and shift levers lower in relation to where they are now. One might be able to adjust the levers to bring them back up, the question would be if there is enough adjustment available, particularly on the brake M/C side of the equation.

No Honda ones I'm aware of but I may be able to get you some made by a German mob which are on longer in production. Real nice. I have a set installed on my 6th gen. Thurn I think is the brand.

Sorry I checked and the guy selling them has done so already.

Please confirm bolt spacing on this! Anyone have an F4i sitting around? Diferent raer sets was half the reason I did the 6 gen mod.

I don't think the F4i's bolt on, I'm talking about adapter plates so you can use other rearsets. VFR one side, whatever you want (CBR600F4i in this case) on the other.

Like this: http://www.projection-components.co.uk/trx850-footrestrearset-adapter-plates-488-p.asp

These are designed to move the standard pegs up & back, but there's no reason you couldn't move the holes closer for less spacing/rise, then adapt them to whatever rearset you would like to use.

The F4i rearsets look like they should work with the other VFR (6th gen) hardware, but with enough time & effort, you make pretty much anything work.

Edit: Read the rest of your post, I haven't had a good look at the VFR rear MC, but the clevis should be adjustable for brake lever height.

What is the end goal here?

Different looks with same peg position?

Different peg position?

You can't simply find a set with the same bolt spacing and bolt them on. Inevitably, the peg will be in the wrong position, as the set will have come from a frame with a different mounting angle, or the triangulation of the set mount holes and peg position will be off.

• Member Contributer

Different peg position?

You can't simply find a set with the same bolt spacing and bolt them on. Inevitably, the peg will be in the wrong position, as the set will have come from a frame with a different mounting angle, or the triangulation of the set mount holes and peg position will be off.

Good point... my goal is to switch to a GP shift pattern (1 up, 5 down) for a 5th gen track bike at minimum cost... any suggestions would be appreciated :)

• Member Contributer

Same here. I was looking at the new 800 and it is suppose to have a quick shifter option which I would "think" would be a moto gp pattern.................I may wait until the parts are out for that and just buy the new parts for the left rear set and go that route if it works out. I believe I saw something in the new 800 pics that looked like a different set up from the stock 6 gen stuff which is what it has normally.

Different peg position?

Not sure if you mean me or the OP, but my goal is to avoid spending $600 on Sato rearsets for my trackbike :goofy:

F4i peg mounts are around 15 off vertical (tilted back) vs VFRs basically straight up & down - with adjustable rearsets you should be able to get pretty close to stock, or really high & back if you want. You could even add in the angle to the spacer to keep the original F4i peg geometry...

Like I said, it's just a theory at this point, but the F4i uses the same rear m/c, so that will bolt up & most rear sets for it have the lever swivelling around the peg & a linkage for the gear selection, which will also open up race shift if you want it.

If the spacers aren't too expensive, I'll order a set & a cheap set of Dan Moto rearsets to experiment with.

• Member Contributer

Honda CBR929 & 954 rear sets should bolt straight on, they use the same lower cushion !

Nope. If you can look that up in the fiche and provide a link, I'll be happy to apologize.

It's not the same part, but I'm pretty sure it's the same bolt spacing for the rear set mounts. I'm sure someone on here or VFR World has already done it. Just nip down your local dealer or bike meet & measure them ! After market ones have shift rods to allow rearsets pegs to activate the shifter , can be made to work 1-N-6 or 6-N-1 race pattern.

It's not the same part, but I'm pretty sure it's the same bolt spacing for the rear set mounts. I'm sure someone on here or VFR World has already done it. Just nip down your local dealer or bike meet & measure them ! After market ones have shift rods to allow rearsets pegs to activate the shifter , can be made to work 1-N-6 or 6-N-1 race pattern.

It is not the same spacing. I just recently tried fitting this 929RR Sato rearset to my VTEC. It is close, but it will not bolt on.

2E0788C3-13FE-4E26-A076-9DC6E06C28B2-651

If the spacers aren't too expensive, I'll order a set & a cheap set of Dan Moto rearsets to experiment with.

This is your best bet - buy the rearset kit at the best price you can find (or you are comfortable with) and fit them to your bike with custom adapters.

• Member Contributer

I kinda glossed over the obvious when I initially read this. Several of the people interested in this mod are building track bikes. I think the obvious answer was overlooked and perhaps those building track bikes need the CBR part instead of the VFR! Plentiful CBR rearsets out there with reversible linkages, OEM and aftermarket.

Looks like I'm the guinea pig on this one. I'll let y'all know in 7-10 days... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I have often wondered if there is any advantage to using a shift linkage (with a shift rod) over a standard mount shift lever (directly mounted) other than ability to switch to GP shift pattern?

I have often wondered if there is any advantage to using a shift linkage (with a shift rod) over a standard mount shift lever (directly mounted) other than ability to switch to GP shift pattern?

Outside of GP shift, no. More weight and more slop. Direct attachment gives more positive feel.

Archived