Starting Issues... Dumb Question

UltimateWinslow

HELP!!!

I have a few to me VFR. It has 50,000 miles on it, and the one previous owner, who babied it. In the mornings when I get up, I start up my bike, leave it in neutral, and let it idol for a few minutes, usually while I wipe off the morning dew. Over the last few mornings, it wont start up right away. I will set it on half choke to get it started, but as soon as it kicks on, I return it to the choke being off, and the engine cuts off. I'll set the choke on half choke and let it idol in half choke, but when i hop on to ride it, it will cut off. Once I get going on my way to work, and for the rest of the day, I have no issues. This only seems to be in the mornings, or when I haven't rode it in awhile. I'm sure I am doing something dumbly wrong, but here's the best place to ask.

Thanks,

Nick

• Member Contributer

Not an expert on carburators, but my guess would be to check the battery first.

Weak one would cause difficult starts IMHO.

Oh, and... :lurk:

• Member Contributer

The avatar shows a '98, so if that's the case it would be injected. Sounds like maybe it's just due for some routine maintenance - air filter, plugs, starter valve synch, etc. Do you know the service history on it? On my '99, I leave the choke (for lack of a better term) on for a minute or two until it warms a bit - maybe it just needs that left on a bit longer until you ride off.

• Member Contributer

The avatar shows a '98, so if that's the case it would be injected. On my '99, I leave the choke (for lack of a better term) on for a minute or two until it warms a bit - maybe it just needs that left on a bit longer until you ride off.

:1:

• Member Contributer

I am leaning toward it just needing a good service and an Italian tune up. One thing you write jumps out at me. You have morning dew on it. If you must store it outside over night you have to get a decent cover for it. I keep my bike outside during the riding season but use a cover that can breath but keeps the dew and rain off. Not water proof, like a tarp or rubberized material. It has to breath. This may be related in some way but to keep connections in good shape and overall health of the bike the cover is a must. Also, let it idle with the choke and keep fading it off till she is idling nicely with no choke. Not a dumb question, you just gotta get to know her better.

your getting moister in that dare airbox-- you stated wipe off the morning dew. get a cover for it or can you keep it in a garage or shed?? may need to let it warm up longer then you think 5 minutes or more before you take off.. unlike cars the bikes like to be at operating temp before they act right.. why i have no idea but ive had 16 motorcycles and they all want to be warmed up-- especially and old ninja 600 i had in 87 in winter 10 minutes get that puppy ready but after that ran fine- just morning time ---- also hate to say this you may need a carb sync and valv adjustment - is your airbox clean??filter etc-- pm if you need anythinggelse i could ramble on all day about morning starts

Archived