Vfr8 Streetfighter

keef

There's a streetfighters ride coming up in november.

The 6th gen tank is on my 5th gen. $20 worth of new gaskets for the fuel pump and sensor, $100 for the in tank fuel filter. I figured while it was out, 160,000ks was long enough for a fuel filter. Had a mate give the tank  a free paint job in hot rod black. the 6th gen tank is much better on a naked bike.

i just need to connect the hoses to the tank and should be good to go.

The seat will need some trimming to fit the new tank, but no big deal.

I'm half way through the big air box mod using the big K&N filter to make room for dual stacks.

then it will be time to mount the bigger oil cooler.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Passed its rego inspection. 

to recap the 5 years and million pages.

ninja 250 seat and subframe, 6th gen tank, er6n headlight, ducati 1098S rear and 848 front, gsxr 600 forks, gsxr 1000 rotors, gxsr 600 calipers, COP conversion, MT09 front guard, Custom front rad, SP1 oil cooler, delkevic headers, MT09 carbon akra can, antigravity battery.

To do, 10 row oil cooler, big airbox and dual stacks, and map it.

vfr1.jpg

vfr2.JPG

• Member Contributer

Better pics please!!!!

Your bike/efforts are worth it!!!

Like this :tongue:

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.3c1a49231a98460faa14b7e2652a0b11.JPG

Better pics please!!!!

Your bike/efforts are worth it!!!

Like this tongue.png

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.3c1a49231a98460faa14b7e2652a0b11.JPG

Dutchy, no offence mate but your example of a better pic is, according to the technical criteria of photography, not actually any better. Your bike is in the shade, the sunlight is highlighting that ondulating roof in the background, the latter is so busy visually it distracts from the main subject.

I know you have much, much, much better photos to use to push your point.

I can bolt a top box to my pillion seat, is that what you meant, Dutchy?

I actually can. I bolted a mounting plate to a spare pillion seat.

It's an RC51 at a very nice race track with a top box. Pretty sweet to me.

Think he just meant some better angles and lighting. Good-looking bike, I'd like to see more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

still haven't got it off numbers. He flew to another state to ride a new bike back (1000 miles). He was going to drop it off and pick up some rotors off me, but we missed each other, so now they are all in the post.

The rotors would interest you, seb. They are one off carbon fibre centred buzz saw discs by extreme creations to suit carrozerias. They only weigh 1030g each for a 320mm rotor.

I sold the sp1 oil cooler to a guy in canberra who's building a vfr fighter, and replaced it. First, the 10 row was too big, the oil lines were below the headers. so i bought a 7 row, and it is just right. Much bigger oil cooler and my custom rad has made me cautiously optimistic. Which is good, because my MT09 is getting its wheels replaced under insurance - i ran over some debris and buckled them both.  

I have been riding my Bro's aprilia tuono for a month, but that was a big enough favour, so now i'm on the fully road legal, and slightly dodgy VFR fighter that my wife has named the vortex, since it seems to suck all my time and money.

Some pics of the 7 row oil cooler. 

I think i have the over heating sorted. I've commuted on it for the last couple of days.

Stop start/heavy traffic, 105-110C. Free flowing, 95*C. But when it got hot, it dropped back to 100 pretty quick once it was open road again.

Since i wanted an open road/back road blaster, and occassional trackdays, i reckon i'm good.

WIN_20170927_07_18_00_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170927_07_18_38_Pro.jpg

no, not really.

thats where i had the sp1 oil cooler. The headers are ceramic coated (but looking a little worse for wear) and i could always wrap them to keep even more heat in the pipes.

• 3 weeks later...

big thanks to Seb.

I finally fitted the tank adaptor.

I replaced my half arsed version with a beautiful piece of hand made awesomeness.  Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

no pics of the tank adapter, but....

big airbox using a full size k & n. Needs a clean and sikaflex to seal, but it should be ok. Used plasterboard/drywall/hollow wall anchors. They are one piece and a screw, so nothing can fall in.

And I added sensors back in to the delk headers so the rapidbike evo will do its thing.

airbox 1.jpg

airbox 2.jpg

headers.jpg

• Member Contributer

Keef, that is one AWESOME build! You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into it. 

What at are you doing with the trumpets? Dual stack or 4 x short? 

Also, is that a dent on the right of your new tank a few posts above? 

yes, its a dent. Didn't notice it until I took that pic. The light caught it just right... But a dent is better than the holes in the last one.

Dual stacks. Not new ideas, just riding on Mohawks and highside's coat tails.

I've siliconed (selley's armour flex) the air filter in earlier today. Just letting it set. I had to tape it down to use it as glue on one side since I could only bolt down 3 out of 4 sides. I bought the full size K & N, not the small one.

I have a ride in 3 weeks with the guys from ASF. Pushing to get the VFR reliable, otherwise I'll be on the MT09, which will feel like cheating.

• Member Contributer

Keef, do you think it might be worth throwing some steel mesh or some sort of protection over that lower oil cooler? Can’t tell from the pics how solid it is.  

I’m concerned about stones flicking off the front wheel and puncturing it. Pumping engine oil all over the road when you’re 100 miles from anywhere would not be fun! 

Sorry if it sounds like I’m being a d!ck but I’ve genuinely got your best interests in mind. 

• 1 month later...

hey keef, 

i am ready to start my own naked vfr project. from looking at the front end without the fairing on it, i'm going to have to remove the dash in order to fit a headlight. what gauges did you go with, and how did you mount them? my budget is not real big. i'm trying to be fairly cheap, with ebay and amazon. 

i have been wanting to shed some pounds off the bike for a while, but didnt feel terribly motivated until today. i paid like $40 last week for some headlight bulbs, to replace the burnt out ones on my bike. today was the first day i had with rideable weather. before i even got off my road, i hit a pothole and both low beams died. i had high's, but no low's. i got home and took the front fairing off and started looking at my options. i found some chinese grom style gauges for cheap, but idk about the quality. 

Archived