Best "winter" / Cold Weather Tires For Vfr

phoenixfire

Hi All,

What tires would recommend for cold weather riding?

I'm planning on ride all year round as long as there's no white stuff / ice on the road. My current tires need to be replaced soon so I'm wondering what tires will provided the best traction for cooler weather conditions?

Its really hard to beat pilotpowers as an overall tire, traction wise, they tend to hold much better in 32 degree rain, than any sporttour. Actually in 32 degree rain at say 90 mph on backroads, you can usually turn the front wheel left and right while going stright on sportours. Thats the main reason I dont run sport tours on the front.

• 1 month later...

Pirelli Angels are a personal favourite of mine, and they seem to last forever. Doesn't get as cold here in 'straya though.

I think the main thing is, much like other items, any half decent brand will do for the street as they've all put in considerable research and development into their products. If you go through tyres a lot then I'd suggest trying a different one each time until you find a favourite

i read about the contitrailattack for bwm r1200gs and ktm 1190 adventure bikes --

will work on da viffers said great wet tractions-- think about it those big heavy adventure bikes go in mud,rocks,sand etc but the tire works well on the road where it spends most of its time--

i do know this in the cold weather the right hand is your best friend and easy on the brakes -- basically ride slow-- i can say that here?? ride slow-- use these tires in the bad weather and switch back to pilot-angel-roadsmart etc in the spring go luck-

• Member Contributer

I've ridden in below freezing weather with RoadSmarts and PR2's. Both duel-compound. They take longer to heat up and do not get as warm as summer, so I don't strafe a lot of corners. I'd say most tires will do; just slow down in the twisties.

• Member Contributer

Took the St1300 and Mrs Carver out for a ride up to Cherokee NC last weekend, Warwoman to 28 to Highlands to 64 to 215 to some other road into Cherokee and then back on Sunday morning down the BRP to 215 to 64 to 28 to 11 and some more roads that are swervy...

On Sunday AM at altitude on the BRP there remained about a dozen areas in the shady side of the MT that had snow/frost on the shoulder and ice on the rock face and road surface....I just rolled off and made certain I was not leaning and never felt a twitch.

I would guess any modern ST tire will function well enough in the cold. I am running PR3s on that bike.

• Member Contributer

Does not really matter for me because I just commute back and forth to work ..

I am going to eat a little crow with this statement , leaving out Sunday mourning with Shinko Verges on the VFR and the first hard left-handed turn after the driveway I slid across the lane and right onto the outer edge of the road. SO tire warm-up on these tires very important ..

Archived