Installed Helibars, Now The Road "feels" Different

marriedman

Question

I just recently got my bike back on the road from a wrenching session. During that time, I added Helibars. I am loving the ergos of the Helibars and BLS lowering blocks. I have only put maybe 40 miles on the bike since then, but I swear that the road or steering feels different. I honestly can't tell if it is just me or it is the Heli's.

After you guys installed helibars, did you feel any difference in the way the road feels or in cornering?

4 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

It's probably a combination of the roller bearings, the handlebars in a different position, and your feet in a different position.

You did change your weight distribution on the bike a bit. Maybe took a bit of weight off the front tire. Might change the feel a bit. Dunno. Could raise the fork legs a few mm or so. Otherwise, you could ride a few hundred miles to see if you get used to the new normal. That's how I would look at it. Good luck.

Ride safe.

For what it's worth, I installed a set of heli-bars on my '94 Honda ST1100 some years ago after I had already ridden my ST w/the stock handlebars for more than a year & 15k miles.

While attending a Honda Hoot in Asheville that year I purchased the heli-bars & the seller (owner of sporttouraccessories.com) installed them for free. The deal included a 30-day satisfaction guarantee/trial period during which I could return the bars for credit (less a restocking fee). In the end, that's what I ended up doing.

Note that heli-bars for the ST1100 are multi-adjustable, unlike the ones available for the VFR. What I found was after spending so much time in the saddle w/the original bars, I never was able to adjust the heli-bars to where they felt "right" all the time-and I ended up finding myself "fiddling" w/them constantly. That said, I thought the heli's were a well-engineered and constructed product, but they just didn't work out for me.

Familiarity over time may, or may not make the ones installed on your VFR feel better to you....

You did change your weight distribution on the bike a bit. Maybe took a bit of weight off the front tire. Might change the feel a bit. Dunno. Could raise the fork legs a few mm or so. Otherwise, you could ride a few hundred miles to see if you get used to the new normal. That's how I would look at it. Good luck.

Ride safe.

<emphasis mine> That's exactly what it feels like! That has to be what I am feeling. Man, that makes me feel so much better.

Thanks for that post, I thought I was going crazy.

Archived