Fork Seal Replacement!

I've been searching guides and such for some time. I don't think that i'm that impatient but i was hoping that one of you smart people would be able to give me a parts list of the stuff i need for doing my own fork seal replacement.

I wanted to ask as well, if a shop were to charge me 280-330$ for replaceing my fork seals, could one agree that this is a rip off?

Thanks! :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I just did the fork seals on my '04. While I had it apart, I did the bushings too. The parts and oil were about $100 on line. The local dealer quoted $120 labor if I had them do it. Guessing their parts price would be ~$120, bringing the whole job to $240 plus tax. $280 may be reasonable if they are doing the bushings.

• Member Contributer

Yes, that seems really high. I charge $120 including the seals on bare forks. Add $65 if I need to take them off the bike and reinstall. I'd look for a different shop!

I'd say the dealer pricing is a little high, but their pricing is always high. Figure you have $26 each for a seal kit (retail price), plus a bottle of fork oil (say another $8). That puts you at $60 in parts and I'm sure they charge retail prices for those. Then they probably charge at least 2 hours labor if you bring them the bike, they might even charge 3 hours. Not sure of their labor rate, but probably $50-80 depending on where you live. Not to mention extra shop supplies, hazardous waste disposal, etc. Anyway, $160-310 or anywhere in between. If they have to do bushings, probably another $50-70.

Archived