Front Cam Chain Tensioner - Drain Coolant Necessary?

Just changed the rear CCT today. I was hoping it was that one so I didn't have to take off the tank and air box. Not really that hard to do at all.

Going to do the front one tomorrow. May be a silly question but do I have to drain the coolant as it is mentioned in the original post?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/38619-cam-chain-tensioner-replacement-vtec/page-6

• Member Contributer

No need to drain coolant. Tank, air-box, disconnect wire harness, pull upper hose that has the squeeze clamp, and bend the other hose out of the way.

Be extra careful when removing the cct that you pull it straight out or the metal cap could become dislodged and fall into the motor.

This was a pretty easy fix. The rear cam chain tensioner is a piece of cake. The front/top one requires removal of the tank, air box, velocity stacks (plastic things). With a 1/4" socket and a 6" extension it's pretty easy to get at. No other parts need to be removed, one little coolant line is in the way but is easily moved by loosening the hose clamp and moving it off to the side.

VFRD just saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars in labour. Man I love this site! :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Isn't it traditional to break Rule #8? Even minor repairs and mods become major (Murphy's Law).

Archived